Paul Wilson - Guardian journalist

Status
Not open for further replies.

windymiller

Player Valuation: £50m
I read this comment "Everton were only three goals down at half-time, after all, and perfectly happy to settle for a 4-0 result after a taking a pounding" in an article by Paul Wilson entitled "Brendan Rodgers' vintage side in the making leaves Anfield stunned" and I was a bit disappointed, not because of anything to do with Liverpool just because I couldn't believe anyone would be happy about that, so I sent him an email.

Dear Mr Wilson,

As an Evertonian I was disappointed to see your comment "Everton were only three goals down at half-time, after all, and perfectly happy to settle for a 4-0 result after a taking a pounding".

I am aware that you are an Evertonian also, but I would hope that you do not think you can speak for the whole fanbase or, indeed, the football club. I, for one, and indeed every other Evertonian I know, were not at all "happy to settle" for that scoreline and I would be extremely surprised (and, frankly, horrified) if that was the mindset of Mr Martinez and the playing squad.

Regards

He then replied

Well I was. And I know several other Blues who realised it could have been much worse. The way the first half went, just one more goal in the second seemed a bit of a relief. I even heard one prominent EFC fan describe it as a reprieve. PW

I the said

I realise it could have been worse but that is different from being happy to be beaten 4-0 by our local rivals.

Is it me who's on the wrong end of this, do people feel the same way as Mr Wilson?

Last edited:
To be honest mate, I felt pretty relieved it was only 4. I though it was gonna be 6 or 7 after the first half. By no means "happy" mind.

I know how I felt.

Just wanted out of there with the hope of erasing it from my memory forever.

We were badly gubbed. Shat ourselves again. Pure fear in the eyes. Why? ****ed if I know.

I read this comment "Everton were only three goals down at half-time, after all, and perfectly happy to settle for a 4-0 result after a taking a pounding" in an article by Paul Wilson entitled "Brendan Rodgers' vintage side in the making leaves Anfield stunned" and I was a bit disappointed, not because of anything to do with Liverpool just because I couldn't believe anyone would be happy about that, so I sent him an email.

He then replied

I the said

Is it me who's on the wrong end of this, do people feel the same way as Mr Wilson?

We got royally bummed in the first half & the game was over at HT. So, I can see where he's coming from, as if we'd have gone at them gung ho after the break they could have put a few more past us & made it even more embarrassing than it was.

I think it's a sad indictment of so called 'quality journalism', tbh. Instead of declaring a team sitting in 4th place in the table 'a vintage Liverpool side' (a ridiculous thing to say for a man of his age), he needs to hold his water and watch what unfolds for at least the rest of the season and the one beyond this.

Another nobhead dazzled by the glitz of a high scoring win and forgetful of the dropped points against crap teams.

I think it's a sad indictment of so called 'quality journalism', tbh. Instead of declaring a team sitting in 4th place in the table 'a vintage Liverpool side' (a ridiculous thing to say for a man of his age), he needs to hold his water and watch what unfolds for at least the rest of the season and the one beyond this.

Another nobhead dazzled by the glitz of a high scoring win and forgetful of the dropped points against crap teams.

The Guardian is now no different than most tabloids in that it creates hype over a team to get clicks, and then jumps on the smallest blip in form to also drive traffic to the site.

In fairness though is it much different than most fans who fail to keep perspective after a bad loss, or a poor run of form, whilst doing the same when we are on a good run.

Paul Wilson has a track record of writing derogatory stuff about Everton, despite claiming to be an Evertonian.

I had it out with him a few years ago over something similar.

I always look for the write ups in the Guardian and more often than not there's a massive pic of Suarez' awful grid on the sport front page, usually attached to some utter non story about the RS getting a new coffee machine or something. The Guardian's better than most, but still has a lot of RS clickbait for that army of mooing idiots, mostly so they can keep their advertisers happy.

I think this is something of a miscommunication.

I think you have interpreted his comment as Martinez and Evertonians being happy with a 4-0 result BEFORE kick off. This is clearly not the case. There is not an Evertonian or manager of any sort that would take a loss before the match.

Where as Paul has taken that rather sensationalist viewpoint from a half time perspective. Half time at 3-0 down, we had had one shot on target and hadn't really been in the game and after 5 minutes of the second half we conceded again - as such I think 4-0 flattered us when you consider our horrendous performance, Sturridge missing a penalty and the countless other chances they missed it could have very easily been 6 or 7, and a lot more embarrassing. That's his logic.

You are right mate his initial description is far removed from what he eventually says he knows it and anyone with half a brain knows it, the only saving grace is at least he replied.

Playing to the cumberland, cornwall and cockney kopites gives rise to the "lazy journo" epithet - very poor from the boy Wilson - he needs to seriously up his game.

Yes, they missed a penalty so basically it could have been worse. They tore us apart and he is right.

It could have been worse, but the idea you settle for a 4-0 defeat against Liverpool is abhorrent.

To use an analogy, if I fall out of the Upper Gwladys Street stand to the tier below and only break my leg, yes it could have been worse - I could have landed on my head and died.

Doesn't mean I'm happy to settle with a broken leg though.

Status
Not open for further replies.