Our gutless, ineffective midfield

Status
Not open for further replies.
United: Giggs Keane Scholes Beckham

Arsenal: Ljungberg Vieira Silva Pires

Everton: Limpar Speed Parkinson Kanchelskis

You have 1 star midfield general and you build from there.

Keane, Vieira, Speed. Three leaders in the middle.

The wide players all hitting double figures and the centre midfielders chipping in as well.

Gordon Tonali Zakaria Sarr

Id be targeting those 3 players, or similar types to them.

However, id also say that our defence has to play deep due to Keane, Mina and Coleman. We have no centre back able to hit long passes and no right back able to assist/score.

Thats why we are rumoured to want Gabriel and Emerson.

Pickford
Emerson Holgate Gabriel Digne
Sarr Zakaria Tonali Gordon
DCL Richarlison

That side walks into the top 6 with ease.

The 2 defenders will cost about £40mil. All other funds go into the 3 midfield positions either on those players or similar level of quality and potential.
Why on earth would Zakaria leave Gladbach to come to us?

He’d be near enough my first choice to bring in but I don’t think it’s anywhere close to realistic

He lives in Frankfurt and adopted Mainz? Traitor!

But yeah that's exactly what the fella I chatted to said pretty much.
Yeah he hears that a lot there I think. He supports West Brom and there was an ex West Brom player playing for Mainz at the time I think. No idea who it was but he decided to follow them from then on.

I agreed with this Twitter thread online. I am always sympathetic and want Davies to do well, I want siggy to rediscover form and I prefer not to trash them but keep hoping and supporting. However, we can't deny that we might be seeing that we have the wrong type and combination of midfielders, and therefore the wrong tactics. are they a wide 3 in a 4-3-3, a diamond 2 in a 4-4-2 or a 1-2 split in a 4-3-2-1
I had a lot of patience when we had a short period of time in which our coaches were under Koeman-Allardyce-Unsworth-Silva in a short space of time, but now with it being just Silva-Ancelotti there should be some evidence of what we're trying to do.

We can't easily find a Kante-Gana type midfielder, and maybe JP was a different fit but would do that dynamic role. I wouldn't mind trying HOlgate there till the end of the season and putting Mina & Keane at the back. What if we got Stones and converted him to a DM ? Maybe he's too slow for what we need?
Basically it looks like we need 1 proper tackling and passing aggresive player, and one proper Cahill-style attacking bullying player as well. Alongside Gomes, JP, Davies and Beni, I think that'll work for 6 midfielders in our squad. get rid of Delph, Siggy - and I'm sorry but I don't see Iwobi in any of those positions, but he should be the attacking one

Why on earth would Zakaria leave Gladbach to come to us?

He’d be near enough my first choice to bring in but I don’t think it’s anywhere close to realistic

Money + most players want to play in the prem + Ancelotti.

Definitely agree with all of that. Damage limitation until we get to the summer.

Add two midfielders and a good winger to the team and we'll be much more competitive. I can see us getting Europe next season with that.

I honestly don't think we're as far away as everyone thinks. The defence is fine, the two up top are fine. Sort that midfield out and it'd make a huge difference.

Yeah he hears that a lot there I think. He supports West Brom and there was an ex West Brom player playing for Mainz at the time I think. No idea who it was but he decided to follow them from then on.
Guy I know here said the same thing. He said he watched most Mainz matches and he couldn't figure out what stood out about Gblammo that we splunked £20m+ on him.

Guy I know here said the same thing. He said he watched most Mainz matches and he couldn't figure out what stood out about Gblammo that we splunked £20m+ on him.

Gbamin was good for Mainz, but that’s the thing - he was good for Mainz. And I don't mean it as an insult to them, as Mainz are an infinitely likeable team with great fans, but they are also one of the smallest Bundesliga teams. Going from Mainz to the premier league and to a far bigger stage with bigger pressures and to a team who wants to be ambitious and to be in European competition, that is one massive leap.

He is one of these players who is very versitile which is never a bad thing of course, and so at Mainz he was a regular and pretty consistant performer.

Problem is though now, with the injuries, who knows how it works out for him. It could be a big battle for him to get back to 100% and to get settled into a team that is going to want to hit the ground running next season.

We could stick another one of our midfielders in the middle and ply with 12 men and we’d still be terrible.

The wide players all hitting double figures and the centre midfielders chipping in as well.

However, id also say that our defence has to play deep due to Keane, Mina and Coleman. We have no centre back able to hit long passes and no right back able to assist/score.

Pickford
DCL Richarlison

The 2 defenders will cost about £40mil. All other funds go into the 3 midfield positions either on those players or similar level of quality and potential.
lol lol lol lol

Pickford
TAA - Boncucci - Holgate - Digne
CR7 - Bruno - Neves - Messi
DCL - Bobby L​

It gets worse ,so out the team but don't sell him!
I only care that he’s not playing, as he’s ineffective.
You might be a shareholder and care about how much money you’re paying him, but I’m not sure it makes much difference to Moshiri when you look at it overall, and I doubt my season ticket money makes much difference either.
But I guess you’re just deflecting from your initial mid-read.

Pickford
DCL Richarlison

I don’t hate what you’re saying, but you have to have a midfielder who doesn’t qualify for the under 8s in there

Looks like Bernard is our most effective player out of that lot :coffee:

5 goals, 4 assists from a non-tackling "box-to-box" midfielder in 100 games. Lol.
Hate Tom all you want but remove Walcoot and Bernard who seem to actually produce once in a while and you've got: (siggy removed as he's been a set piece/pen taker and I cba finding out open play goals)

André Gomes - 42 games - 1 goal - 1 assist.
Tom Davies - 100 games - 5 goals - 4 assists.
Delph - 16 Games - 0 Goals - 0 assists
Iwobi - 22 games - 1 goal - 0 assists

Now let's give them all 100 games.

André Gomes - 100 games - 3 goals - 3 assists
Tom Davies - 100 games - 5 goals - 4 assists.
Delph - 100 Games - 0 Goals - 0 assists
Iwobi - 100 games - 5 goal - 0 assists

That's being generous and rounding up from 2.38 to 3 instead of down to 2.

So nice Park End shout but Davies has better stats than the other 3 and had to play more games for Marco "black hole of happiness" Silva

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.