Our away record in numbers..

Status
Not open for further replies.
So many missed opportunities all the time. Yesterday obviously given the invitation from them. Beat Leicester on pens the other week and we'd have a depleted Villa team standing between Everton and a cup final. The Wigan game a few years ago in the quarters when they rested half their team, won anyway and went on to win the FA Cup. The Fiorentina defeat on pens when Rangers knocked them out next round and made the final in Manchester.

How can the culture of defeatism change?

Sports psychology

We have only won more that five away games in a season once in the last 10 years (Martinez's first year), it is not only the big teams we can't win at, it is almost everywhere, another sign of a gutless, spineless and leaderless set of players. when ever we have won 8-9 away games we have been 65 points plus it is the main reason we have not progressed as a club, are home record usually remains consistent (since moyes became manager anyway)

We have only won more that five away games in a season once in the last 10 years (Martinez's first year), it is not only the big teams we can't win at, it is almost everywhere, another sign of a gutless, spineless and leaderless set of players. when ever we have won 8-9 away games we have been 65 points plus it is the main reason we have not progressed as a club, are home record usually remains consistent (since moyes became manager anyway)

Number of PL home wins (out of 19 games):

09/10 - 11
10/11 - 9
11/12 - 10
12/13 - 12
13/14 - 13
14/15 - 7
15/16 - 7
16/17 - 13
17/18 - 10
18/19 - 10
19/20 - 5 (half way point)

We're generally around 10 home wins which with a few draws is around 34 points. 4 or 5 away wins a year doesn't cut it. When we've got into Europe we've either done relatively well away from home or done outstanding at home (i.e. 16/17).

Close down teams properly. No more half arsed attempts to get within a couple of yards, but not actually fully pressure the ball. We never pin teams back for entire games. Our constant retreat to the halfway line tactic, allows teams an easy out all too often, when we could pose much more threat. Our inability to keep an aggressive mindset for a whole away game, is a large part of the reason why we have had such little success. Our ’retreat’ tactics might work, if we could break from our defensive shape and keep the ball and be a threat consistently. However, we consistently give the ball away at times and have been consistently inconsistent with most things! (except for the dire away record ☹️)

The whole culture of the club has been rotten since Royle left and nothing we have done since has ever been able to repair it. When Royle lifted the cup we thought that trophies wouldn’t be far away even though we’d flirted with relegation previously. Now despite being nowhere close to relegation no one in the club believes a derby win is even remotely possible let alone a trophy. The people at the top of the club, the managers they’ve hired, the players they’ve bought, the staff in the club have absolutely decimated this club from top to bottom where we are now an utter oddity in the premier league capable of winning enough home games against teams below us to stay in the league, and occasionally battering a big boy at home (but never Liverpool, and never if there’s anything riding on the game whatsoever), but never ever anything else.

The even sadder thing is, we're at the point whereby when we do win a derby of any kind, and it will eventually happen, it will be seen as historic.

There are young blues, up to the age of maybe 13 or 14, who won't even remember the last time we won a derby, home or away. And blues now well into their 20's who haven't seen us win at Anfield.

How can we expect to attract and keep the next young generation of blues when they are being served this tripe!

Lads calm yer tits there’s a good few draws in that 100 it’s not as bad as been made out.

I’ve seen us win 4 times at Anfield, twice at Arsenal, 3 times at Chelsea (including penalties in 2011) and 4 times at Man United but I am 50 and have been to all those grounds countless times. Our record away really is embarrassing

But a mentality that's been here for decades? Is that even possible? I said above, we've won at Anfield 7 times since WWII. There are people who've lived to a good age who only saw us win there 5 times or whatever in their entire Everton supporting life. That's crazy. I've just checked our record at Arsenal and United too, and that stands at 4 and 6 wins respectively in the last 50 years. I couldn't bring myself to go any further back than that. This isn't a new thing, clearly, we've struggled to go these places and win for a long, long, time.
Yes it comes from the top

Just done some totting up of our away record at Anfield, Stamford Bridge, Old Trafford and Arsenal. (Did it quickly in case of any slight innacuracy)

Our last games at;

Liverpool. P 23. W 0
Chelsea. P 30. W 0
Arsenal P 25. W 0
Man Utd P 27 W 1.

The one win in over 100 games is heavily caveated being Moyes’ season at Old Trafford, a season when the likes of Fulham, Newcastle and Sunderland all won there.

We all know Moyes’ ‘knife to a gunfight’ mentality - But 7 other managers have tried and failed to win at these places since.

There needs to be a root and branch change in the culture at the football club. The gravy train for players who have failed at big clubs needs to stop.
How haven't we been relegated?

THE worst team to support us. Nothing exciting ever happens, just the same old rubbish year in year out.

It’s totally uninteresting unless you look at a full comparison with other teams. Not just cherry picking Bournemouth against Chelsea, some Palace games and Wolves.

I remember looking at it last year for all teams against those four plus City and Spurs for the last decade. Our record is right in the middle of the pack.

It’s just not a story. You are simply pointing out that those teams have been better than us for years, which we all know!

It’s totally uninteresting unless you look at a full comparison with other teams. Not just cherry picking Bournemouth against Chelsea, some Palace games and Wolves.

I remember looking at it last year for all teams against those four plus City and Spurs for the last decade. Our record is right in the middle of the pack.

It’s just not a story. You are simply pointing out that those teams have been better than us for years, which we all know!

It’s not a story, it’s a disgrace. Not sure why you felt the need to comment if so uninterested.

Status
Not open for further replies.