Our away record in numbers..

Status
Not open for further replies.
10 years since a win at City too, 12 years since a win at Spurs. It's now ingrained in everyone at the club that they're top clubs as well, so we can't win there.

Won't be long before this mentality extends to games like Wolves and Leicester, sooner or later our only hope of winning away games will be against promoted clubs and the likes of Brighton and West Ham, it's absolutely embarrassing and not at all normal. How can an entire football club, an abstract entity, be so gutless and weak?

yes, its a shocking stat, but I remember back when it was a top 4 rather than a big 6, those 4 teams only lost something like 2 games between them at home to teams outside the top 4 over a period of about 5 years. so out of about 300 or so games, they lost 2.
So it's not just us, pretty much no one else has been able to win at those grounds until the past couple of years

They are fairly rare but you'd expect some wins here and there over a period of time.

This is Crystal Palace in the last 5 years:

14/15 - won at Anfield
15/16 - won at Chelsea, won at Anfield
16/17 - won at Anfield
18/19 - won at Man City, won at Arsenal
19/20 - won at Man United

1 out of 100 (with the asterick of Moyes at United) is absolutely absurd.

That is absolutely hilarious that. Literally so bad that there is nothing you can do but laugh. I can’t believe people actually support us lol
It has to be a mentality. That comes from the top too. We accept losing these games before we kick off. The players are terrified when we concede we fold like a pack of cards. Lack of leaders, desire and a winning mentality.

It's not just the top clubs we can't beat away from home either. I think we haven't won at Brighton or Bournemouth since they were promoted in the league.

The Premier League table from 1992: https://www.statbunker.com/alltimestats/AllTimeLeagueTable?comp_code=EPL

City will overtake us for points this year despite nearly 200 less games and a few relegation seasons. More defeats and goals conceded than anyone else.

36% win ratio and 1.37 points per game, without any relegation seasons. That's home and away and we've usually held our own at Goodison to some degree. God knows what the away ratio is.

The defeatism at the club is so engrained.

It has to be a mentality. That comes from the top too. We accept losing these games before we kick off. The players are terrified when we concede we fold like a pack of cards. Lack of leaders, desire and a winning mentality.
But a mentality that's been here for decades? Is that even possible? I said above, we've won at Anfield 7 times since WWII. There are people who've lived to a good age who only saw us win there 5 times or whatever in their entire Everton supporting life. That's crazy. I've just checked our record at Arsenal and United too, and that stands at 4 and 6 wins respectively in the last 50 years. I couldn't bring myself to go any further back than that. This isn't a new thing, clearly, we've struggled to go these places and win for a long, long, time.

I always knew it was that horrifically awful, but seeing it numbers (clear as day) highlights how inept we've become at challenging the best clubs.

This isn't meant to be a criticism, however our support yesterday (me too!) was nowhere near what it should have been because the trepidation was palpable.

We go there thinking we can't win and then struggle to get behind them, so you like you say it needs a root and branch change.

Honestly, CA needs to see this, and know what he’s up against.

Not just domestically either with the mental block away from home. We've passed up some good chances for European runs after being hammered at Benfica, Sporting, Bucharest, Fiorentina, Atalanta, Lyon, Kiev etc. British clubs with even less money have made European finals in that time.

The whole culture of the club has been rotten since Royle left and nothing we have done since has ever been able to repair it. When Royle lifted the cup we thought that trophies wouldn’t be far away even though we’d flirted with relegation previously. Now despite being nowhere close to relegation no one in the club believes a derby win is even remotely possible let alone a trophy. The people at the top of the club, the managers they’ve hired, the players they’ve bought, the staff in the club have absolutely decimated this club from top to bottom where we are now an utter oddity in the premier league capable of winning enough home games against teams below us to stay in the league, and occasionally battering a big boy at home (but never Liverpool, and never if there’s anything riding on the game whatsoever), but never ever anything else.

The whole culture of the club has been rotten since Royle left and nothing we have done since has ever been able to repair it. When Royle lifted the cup we thought that trophies wouldn’t be far away even though we’d flirted with relegation previously. Now despite being nowhere close to relegation no one in the club believes a derby win is even remotely possible let alone a trophy. The people at the top of the club, the managers they’ve hired, the players they’ve bought, the staff in the club have absolutely decimated this club from top to bottom where we are now an utter oddity in the premier league capable of winning enough home games against teams below us to stay in the league, and occasionally battering a big boy at home (but never Liverpool, and never if there’s anything riding on the game whatsoever), but never ever anything else.

So many missed opportunities all the time. Yesterday obviously given the invitation from them. Beat Leicester on pens the other week and we'd have a depleted Villa team standing between Everton and a cup final. The Wigan game a few years ago in the quarters when they rested half their team, won anyway and went on to win the FA Cup. The Fiorentina defeat on pens when Rangers knocked them out next round and made the final in Manchester.

How can the culture of defeatism change?

Status
Not open for further replies.