Old Everton Pictures

Everton football squad pre season photograph. Top row left to right: Johnny Morrissey, Jimmy Harris, Sandy Brown, Brian Labone, Gordon West, Andy Rankin, Jimmy Gabriel, Fred Pickering, Colin Harvey and Jimmy Hill. Bottom row: Alex Parker, Alex Scott, Dennis Stevens, Derek Temple, Roy Vernon, Tony Kay, Alex Young and Ray Wilson, 14th August 1964-
1593998119631.png

No ciggie, so is it really Roy?
There was a brilliant quote from Vernon in one of the Everton books when he was in the later years of his career going down the division's.
Roy was obviously not putting himself about much on the pitch and his manager complained that as he was not running about much the other players couldn't find him with a pass.
Roy replied
" If they can't find me when I'm standing still what chance have they got if I move about"

Who's the scruffy one at the back Bernie? lol
FROM THE BOOK - DAYS GONE BY , MICK EVANS (Walsall)
The biggest game of the season was a trip to Everton in the 4th round of the FA Cup before a crowd of 45,462 in which he scored Saddlers goal in the dying seconds of the game. One player from that cup run who left an impression on him and everyone else around at the time was Bernie Wright.

“He always seemed to wear the same shirts, complete with brown sauce stains! I don’t think he owned a coat or even a jumper. He just turned up in winter in the same open necked shirts. He would ask me to give him a lift after some Saturday games and when I asked him where he wanted dropping off the reply would always be ‘Anywhere where there’s a club open!”

“He came into training one Monday morning with his face full of cuts.. Apparently he was in dispute with the owner of an Indian restaurant where Bernie wouldn’t pay the bill as he thought the quality of the food wasn’t up to scratch. He was adamant he was not paying It seems there was a bit of a fracas as he was lashing out at the kitchen staff who were in turn prodding his face with forks! “