Old Everton Pictures

This photo is from "Everton Football Club" by Ric George with the caption "Alan Ball strokes home a penalty". I cant place the game but have a suspicion that
it may be one of the Public Practice Matches because , to me, the player standing next to Joe Royle reminds me of John Hurst. Can anyone identify the game.
Query 14 Alan Ball penalty BUT AGAINST WHOM maybe 30.7.68 Blue v Ambers.JPG

This photo is from "Everton Football Club" by Ric George with the caption "Alan Ball strokes home a penalty". I cant place the game but have a suspicion that
it may be one of the Public Practice Matches because , to me, the player standing next to Joe Royle reminds me of John Hurst. Can anyone identify the game.View attachment 89412
It’ll be the Blues v Ambers pre season friendly game

it may be one of the Public Practice Matches because , to me, the player standing next to Joe Royle reminds me of John Hurst. Can anyone identify the game.View attachment 89412

....I’m not sure that’s John Hurst, the gait isn’t quite right. Saying that, the figure in amber on the half-way line looks like Alan Whittle. Player in the middle, Tommy Jackson.

Upper Gwladys St could be empty.

Should be able to identify the goalkeeper if it was a squad match. Only one I can think of is Geoff Barnett but not sure when he left.

Last edited:
....I’m not sure that’s John Hurst, the gait isn’t quite right. Saying that, the figure in amber on the half-way line looks like Alan Whittle. Upper Gwladys St could be empty.

Should be able to identify the goalkeeper if it was a squad match. Only one I can think of is Geoff Barnett but not sure when he left.
I thought it was whittle, isn't that the park end ?

Thats what sprung to my mind........looks like Andy Rankin in goal for the pen too?
Hi Joey, I looked up the pre season blues and ambers games . August 68 is listed as is August 70, but not 69.
Looks like Whittle in amber in the distance but he is down as number 7 for the blues on 5/8/70