Old Everton Pictures

1590499609424.png

Allegedly feign injury, which the trainer backed him up on as having a serious injury .....it went downhill from there he was then dropped from the first team - then dropped from the reserves - he was even allowed to play part time football .....while on our books a international was attracting teams from abroad - Roma came in and made an offer but a currency issue put pay to the move.....
Cheers for the info

Joe Mercer was going to pack in football over the same person who treated TG Jones - so the board sold him to Arsenal.......
“It was a terrible blow for me to go, because I was so crazy about Everton. Mind you I wasn’t easy to handle. I was Captain of England at the time and had been a Sgt Major, running my own show. Theo Kelly and I had one or two ups and downs. The funny thing was, he wanted me to play centre-half – Me, a wing-half who used to go diving into the action, when the club had T G Jones, the best centre-half of all in my opinion! Things became so bad between Theo and me that one day I went to see the directors at the Exchange Hotel, where they held Board Meetings, and said ‘Transfer me, or I turn it in’. The directors said they wanted to me to stay but I was determined and Arsenal paid £9,000 for me.”
A text-book example of how to dismantle a great side, replace quality with mediocrity, and run a tight-ship - to, eventually, the second division. We've repeated this formula a few times since the mid-40s, only escaping the relegation bit by the skin of our teeth.