Old Everton Pictures

1590477979934.jpeg

Here's your hero -TG jones used to head thje ball back to him unheard of in those days , but Ted stated he got used to his daring antics in the penalty area , and had a great repor with TG -
View attachment 88352
Thanks for posting that Joey. I saw Tommy Jones head back to Sagar many times from inside his own penalty area. Often from corners. When I played in the Yorkshire League, I once did it in a game from the edge of the six yard box. The goalie panicked but fortunately held on to it. The manager told me never to do it again!

That "TG" must have been some centre-half, but I was just too young to see him. We were hit in the War years losing far more class than
any other team and it took its toll. The main players that lost 6 years of their footballing lives were: Ted Sagar, TG Jones, Tommy Lawton
and Joe Mercer. If "TG" was better than Labby then he must have been a colossus.

TG was my favourite player of all time. I tried to model myself on him as I also played centre-half. He had everything but his greatest skill was 'reading the game'. In style, the closest I have seen in the modern game is John Stones but TG never made mistakes and even though he was such a skilled player, if there was a difficult situation, he wouldn't hesitate to put the ball in the crowd.

Joey do you know who was his last game against?
My bible dates his last ever game was the 1952/53 season just one game played away at Plymouth Argyle, his only one game that season -
he was playing the odd game that photo may be his last home the season before where he played only 10 games his last home game was v Leicester city in 1951/52 in a 2-1 win -
The Irish keeper J O'Neil replaced him full time- Ted was not in the 1953/54 squad ....