Old Everton Pictures

That "TG" must have been some centre-half, but I was just too young to see him. We were hit in the War years losing far more class than
any other team and it took its toll. The main players that lost 6 years of their footballing lives were: Ted Sagar, TG Jones, Tommy Lawton
and Joe Mercer. If "TG" was better than Labby then he must have been a colossus.
I recommend his book the prince of centre halfs - he sounded like a forerunner of Frank Brekenbeur.....and our club treated him badly......

TG was my favourite player of all time. I tried to model myself on him as I also played centre-half. He had everything but his greatest skill was 'reading the game'. In style, the closest I have seen in the modern game is John Stones but TG never made mistakes and even though he was such a skilled player, if there was a difficult situation, he wouldn't hesitate to put the ball in the crowd.
So many who saw TG in his pomp said exactly the same. Cerebral player in an age more noted for the rugged simplicity of its centre-halves. What a waste of sheer class.

So many who saw TG in his pomp said exactly the same. Cerebral player in an age more noted for the rugged simplicity of its centre-halves. What a waste of sheer class.
My older brother and I were raving about this new Centre Half called Labone - our late father born a blue put us stright - he going to be a good un , but never in the style of TG Jones - then came his story of a two footed sublime Centre half who dribbles the ball out of defence, and started attacks off - Also he was that good he could play CF etc - we listened in awe - Dixie Dean claimed TG Jones was a better all round player that John Charles as his style was not as cramped he was elegance personified.....He too agreed he could play anywhere in the outfield for any team - and we banished him to the reserves then completely exiled him - messed his transfer up abroad- then when asked to enter the Legends hall of fame as Philip Carter begged him to accept it - ate his meal at the ceremony at the Hotel, and cleared off to his native North Wales without giving a speech ......who could not blame him.......
1590488899176.png

TG rises gracefully well above the opposition forwards -

My older brother and I were raving about this new Centre Half called Labone - our late father born a blue put us stright - he going to be a good un , but never in the style of TG Jones - then came his story of a two footed sublime Centre half who dribbles the ball out of defence, and started attacks off - Also he was that good he could play CF etc - we listened in awe - Dixie Dean claimed TG Jones was a better all round player that John Charles as his style was not as cramped he was elegance personified.....He too agreed he could play anywhere in the outfield for any team - and we banished him to the reserves then completely exiled him - messed his transfer up abroad- then when asked to enter the Legends hall of fame as Philip Carter begged him to accept it - ate his meal at the ceremony at the Hotel, and cleared off to his native North Wales without giving a speech ......who could not blame him.......
View attachment 88395
TG rises gracefully well above the opposition forwards -
Sorry just saw this. Why did they banish him to the reserves and then exile him. What did he do to deserve that. Everton usually treat their ex players well. Joe mercer said everton bought his parents a house. When Dixie was at a low ebb they gave him a testimonial and a job at John Moore's. They gave Lawton a testimonial when he was in dire straits as well. So did TG do something really bad?

What did the club do to him?
It was a big mistake, then came - fell out with Dixie Dean, Joe Mercer hated him begged for a move to arsenal , and he treated TG jones like a doormat - incredible horrible behavior by him Cliff Britton blamed Jones of feigning an injury, which was not correct, and the treatment from then on was a disgrace - banished into exile he played amutuer football while still on our books - the manager never gave a damn the the mix up on a top european club willing to buy him etc etc -
The best centre half Welsh international ...not good enough for Everton -Everton that.....
Then glory as Bangor Manager taking them to the 1/4 final in the European cup - we had a vacancy he never got an interview..... Ian Buchan a sports trainer got the job... Everton that-- = disaster......

Last edited:
Sorry just saw this. Why did they banish him to the reserves and then exile him. What did he do to deserve that. Everton usually treat their ex players well. Joe mercer said everton bought his parents a house. When Dixie was at a low ebb they gave him a testimonial and a job at John Moore's. They gave Lawton a testimonial when he was in dire straits as well. So did TG do something really bad?
Joe Mercer was going to pack in football over the same person who treated TG Jones - so the board sold him to Arsenal.......
“It was a terrible blow for me to go, because I was so crazy about Everton. Mind you I wasn’t easy to handle. I was Captain of England at the time and had been a Sgt Major, running my own show. Theo Kelly and I had one or two ups and downs. The funny thing was, he wanted me to play centre-half – Me, a wing-half who used to go diving into the action, when the club had T G Jones, the best centre-half of all in my opinion! Things became so bad between Theo and me that one day I went to see the directors at the Exchange Hotel, where they held Board Meetings, and said ‘Transfer me, or I turn it in’. The directors said they wanted to me to stay but I was determined and Arsenal paid £9,000 for me.”

Last edited:
Joe Mercer was going to pack in football over the same person who treated TG Jones - so the board sold him to Arsenal.......
“It was a terrible blow for me to go, because I was so crazy about Everton. Mind you I wasn’t easy to handle. I was Captain of England at the time and had been a Sgt Major, running my own show. Theo Kelly and I had one or two ups and downs. The funny thing was, he wanted me to play centre-half – Me, a wing-half who used to go diving into the action, when the club had T G Jones, the best centre-half of all in my opinion! Things became so bad between Theo and me that one day I went to see the directors at the Exchange Hotel, where they held Board Meetings, and said ‘Transfer me, or I turn it in’. The directors said they wanted to me to stay but I was determined and Arsenal paid £9,000 for me.”
I did read Joe's autobiography many years ago and this does ring a bell. Are you saying he fell out with Dixie,? And Joe hated Dixie. Seems like a soap opera

I did read Joe's autobiography many years ago and this does ring a bell. Are you saying he fell out with Dixie,? And Joe hated Dixie. Seems like a soap opera
No the three of them did not like the club secretary /Manager Theo Kelly was secretive and ruthless, and did not reveal anything to the press.....
Then the transfer abroad T G jones was to get a house a car a big deal in those days then the clubs messed a currency issue up -
Everton reluctantly accepted but the deal fell through because of problems with the currency exchange. Dixie Dean, the Everton striker who set the record of 60 goals in a season that still stands to this day, said his team-mate TG Jones was the most complete footballer he had ever seen.

Allegedly feign injury, which the trainer backed him up on as having a serious injury .....it went downhill from there he was then dropped from the first team - then dropped from the reserves - he was even allowed to play part time football .....while on our books a international was attracting teams from abroad - Roma came in and made an offer but a currency issue put pay to the move.....