Old Everton Pictures

1588689847441.jpeg

Which may prove the point our team was overused in Mexico at high altitude one of the causes for the poor season afterwards - Westy always states he would have gone but his wife threatened him with divorce, the 3 years later she divorced him anyway so I may has well gone he stated TBF he would have stopped at least 2 of the goals Bonetti let in...... v West Germany when we exited after being 2-0 up......

...plus he had the bonus of already having an established partnership with Brian Labone who played CH in that match.

For me The team that world cup was better than in 66. That England Brazil game was brilliant. They won 1-0 but we matched them all game think bally hit the bar. Hammered Germany 2-0 with 25 mins left. Ramsey bought Bonetti on and they went to pieces lost 3-2
The was many things that went wrong - Chalton subbed too early plus Gordon Banks food poisoning suspiciously the night before the big game hence Bonetti started....

The was many things that went wrong - Chalton subbed too early plus Gordon Banks food poisoning suspiciously the night before the big game hence Bonetti started....
Yeah forgot about Charlton. Think he took him off so save him for the semi. Still think they missed a massive chance to win the world cup that year. Brazil were great but we more than matched them in that group game

Yeah forgot about Charlton. Think he took him off so save him for the semi. Still think they missed a massive chance to win the world cup that year. Brazil were great but we more than matched them in that group game
We played better that's for sure - we threw it away.......Bonetti had a mare under pressure always a shot stopper goalkeeper nicknamed the Cat - he was stuck on his line one of the goals Labby looked at him in disbelief as he was static....too big of a game for him to play..... Banks was nobbled allegedly.......

We played better that's for sure - we threw it away.......Bonetti had a mare under pressure always a shot stopper goalkeeper nicknamed the Cat - he was stuck on his line one of the goals Labby looked at him in disbelief as he was static....too big of a game for him to play..... Banks was nobbled allegedly.......
It was Gerd Muller I think scored from about 2 yards out. Think another was a weird backward header from outside the box I think it was Uwe Seeler or something like that