Old Everton Pictures

1588681623322.png

vs Mexico in the Estadio Azteca . International friendly 1969 - Labby -Bally- Newton in the line up -
View attachment 85632

....great picture, Joey. I don’t recall this, but it must’ve been a S American tour ahead of the 1970 World Cup. i looked it up and note that Tommy Wright came on for Keith Newton.

Games also against Uruguay and Brazil. Glad Gordon West got the opportunity to play out there even if he turned down the opportunity to go in 1970.

....great picture, Joey. I don’t recall this, but it must’ve been a S American tour ahead of the 1970 World Cup. i looked it up and note that Tommy Wright came on for Keith Newton.

Games also against Uruguay and Brazil. Glad Gordon West got the opportunity to play out there even if he turned down the opportunity to go in 1970.
Which may prove the point our team was overused in Mexico at high altitude one of the causes for the poor season afterwards - Westy always states he would have gone but his wife threatened him with divorce, the 3 years later she divorced him anyway so I may has well gone he stated TBF he would have stopped at least 2 of the goals Bonetti let in...... v West Germany when we exited after being 2-0 up......