Old Everton Pictures

The GV -
1599398710090.png

God I hate that timewasting ploy, I honestly believe in sending the offending player off. Yet when I see Gabby
doing this, it doesn't seem too bad?
Some teams looking for a 0-0 draw time waste right from the start. I think that Moyes set us up like that a few times.......never really worked. That sort of time wasting I can't stand. Better to have a proper go at teams........
But Gabby wasted time in the last few seconds of a match. Look at the way he dribbled the ball to the corner. Poise......class .....skill........beautiful.
It was beautiful. But there again..........we are biased.........a little.

His Goodison Park career started brightly yet ended with disappointment but there's no denying that Fred Pickering was a centre-forward in the classic Everton mould.

Having been fortunate enough to meet Fred at Gwladys Street Hall of Fame dinners at the Adelphi Hotel I can attest that the quietly-spoken Lancastrian was one of football's gentlemen and by then with his silver hair and glasses he cut a rather different kind of figure to the hulking powerhouse who once terrorised the game's leading defences.

Given the crushing disappointment he suffered during his Blues career, Pickering could have been forgiven for shying away from such functions, but he remained very much part of the Everton family and would attend to meet up with old team-mates and speak to the fans, many of whom were too young to have watched him play, in his humble, down-to-earth manner.
View attachment 100118
Former Everton stars, Ray Wilson, Gordon West and Fred Pickering all RIP....

Lovely piece that. Sums up the character of one of the Everton centre forward greats ;)

His Goodison Park career started brightly yet ended with disappointment but there's no denying that Fred Pickering was a centre-forward in the classic Everton mould.

Having been fortunate enough to meet Fred at Gwladys Street Hall of Fame dinners at the Adelphi Hotel I can attest that the quietly-spoken Lancastrian was one of football's gentlemen and by then with his silver hair and glasses he cut a rather different kind of figure to the hulking powerhouse who once terrorised the game's leading defences.

Given the crushing disappointment he suffered during his Blues career, Pickering could have been forgiven for shying away from such functions, but he remained very much part of the Everton family and would attend to meet up with old team-mates and speak to the fans, many of whom were too young to have watched him play, in his humble, down-to-earth manner.
View attachment 100118
Former Everton stars, Ray Wilson, Gordon West and Fred Pickering all RIP....
Nice narrative there Joey.
I for one, would have loved to have met him he was my first real hero.
I would have asked how it felt to score six goals at Goodison in the two Everton v Blackburn fixtures that season. Three for Blackburn in what was my first ever game (and so nearly my last as I was accused of being a Jonah by my uncle who had taken me) then another three on his Everton debut which was on my twelfth birthday.