November 5th 1989

According to Sharpy in his book the likes of Cottee and Nevin were not hurting enough about that defeat in the 1989 FA Cup Final.

He reckons that the newer players were just happy enough with having the day out at Wembley.
Sharp can just shut his gob for a start. Did far more to contribute to Everton's downfall with his paid support for Kenwright than any sub standard signings in the late 80's ever did.

That game was also the day that my girlfriend moved in with me(or living “over the brush” as my mother said)and she had to see me going apoplectic at the match on TV.
Fortunately,Everton’s demise on that day did not affect our burgeoning relationship and we went on to get married and have been together for 34 years…even Everton have not been able to spoil it!

I wouldn't say that they would be defined by that one loss.

I just think that was the evening when it became pretty apparent to everyone, that Everton was about to enter a period of decline.
I getcha.

A few glimmers of hope since then but nothing has materialised.

It's hard to believe that the golden period in the mid 80's is now entering 40 years. Man we have had some bad players / teams in the last four decades 😭

I remember that day and that game well. My day got even worse after the humiliation at Villa as my mum took me to the pictures to see a film called 'the Abyss' which was truly dire.

Got into school on the Monday morning and got so much stick off the armchair RS fans for that result. I don't think I'd even seen us concede 4 goals in a game at that point so us to let 6 in was a totally new experience.

Great kit we worn at Villa Park though. One of my favourite ever away kits that one.

As already mentioned above, Kenshite had just joined the board before that 6-2 and he became the poster boy for the decline of this club. From big 5 then to firmly bottom 5 after 34 years of his influence.
The Abyss isn't so bad. Some plot holes mind, but it's decent.

I've never watched it again since but I suppose it was apt I seen that film the day of that infamous 6-2 defeat as that was the moment this club started heading towards 'The Abyss'! 🤣
Never watch a good film for the first time after a bad defeat. I watched Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon in the cinema the day Macallister scored that 40 yard daisy-cutter past Paul Gerrard. I hated every moment of that damn film. I only watched it again years later to then realise what amazing cinema that film was. Everton, why dost thou taunt us so?