Notes from a Small Seat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluecranks

Player Valuation: £950k

I've been reading Bill Bryson's new travel book, The Road to Little Dribbling. It's not as good as his earlier work, IMO; he seems to have become less 'witty' and more 'grumpy old man'. Lots of interesting factiods, though, as is his modus operandi. Before somebody points out that ''the forum for critiquing the work of cantankerous ex-pat American travel writers is next door", I will get to the point - on page 379 he goes to Goodison Park.
He talks some crap (Everton a secret in the city?!), but also has some good things to say e.g. he describes the Old Lady as "not merely the most venerable stadium in English football, but in the world." True dat. The bit about Kant is rubbish though.

I can't be bothered typing it out verbatim, so have attached the pages in image form. Enjoy.

Office Lens 20160701-175133.jpg
Office Lens 20160701-175235.jpg
Office Lens 20160701-175303.jpg
Office Lens 20160701-175343.jpg

I will admit I've had quite a few "savvern" accents around me in the Main Stand this year supporting the blues. The chap he refers to may have been one of them.

Well, thanks @Bluecranks ........... I happen to be reading the book at the moment & haven't got to page 380 yet so that bit of pleasure is spoilt. Boooooooo (as they say at GP)

Well, thanks @Bluecranks ........... I happen to be reading the book at the moment & haven't got to page 380 yet so that bit of pleasure is spoilt. Boooooooo (as they say at GP)
Oh, dear; sorry about that. . In my defence, the book is just a series of anecdotes, so it doesn't really matter what order you read them in. It's not like I revealed the identity of the killer. :)

I've been reading Bill Bryson's new travel book, The Road to Little Dribbling. It's not as good as his earlier work, IMO; he seems to have become less 'witty' and more 'grumpy old man'. Lots of interesting factiods, though, as is his modus operandi. Before somebody points out that ''the forum for critiquing the work of cantankerous ex-pat American travel writers is next door", I will get to the point - on page 379 he goes to Goodison Park.
He talks some crap (Everton a secret in the city?!), but also has some good things to say e.g. he describes the Old Lady as "not merely the most venerable stadium in English football, but in the world." True dat. The bit about Kant is rubbish though.

I can't be bothered typing it out verbatim, so have attached the pages in image form. Enjoy.

View attachment 25917 View attachment 25918 View attachment 25919 View attachment 25920

Stand and seat number please, there's a bad Cockney wool right behind it.

In seriousness. It's nice he got to experience Goodison before we move to the [insert debate here]. Binoculars though...it's not the opera mate.
I like watching the off the ball stuff to so could relate to that. And I know from being a kid outisde of Merseyside how it felt to suddenly have 40k Evertonians around you after fighting your corner of 1 every week at school.
Re: seat sizes, yeah it's a problem but then most of us aren't enormous. You make do.
Good passage, thanks for sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.