Nigel Martyn - TMS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but Nev was a freak of nature;)lolJust wish we hadn't sent Nigel packing to Leeds when we had him pretty much signed and sealed all those years before we finally got him, superb keeper,I remember him making an error at Bolton which cost us the game, thought this will affect him, no way as with all top pro's he just got on with it and next game was back to his best, remember the game at the pit when he virtually singlehandedly got us a point?Top fella too and has brought his kids up as Evertonians although we were probably the shortest pit stop in his career:)

That 0-0 at the pit was the most Neville southall performance I have seen from any keeper in my life that wasn't actually southall himself:.. the save from gerrard down to his left was nev standard

..born and raised in Everton, didn’t know I wasn’t allowed to like cricket. I suspect there are many around these parts who appreciate other sports. Remember going to watch Clive Lloyd playing at Aigburth, what an athlete, what a sportsman and what a gentleman.
There loads of good cricket in Liverpool and lots of clubs with a long history, despite the image of it being a tory sport (largely thanks to the ECB!)

..absolutely. I know plenty of local lads who were decent footballers in the winter and played cricket in the Liverpool League in the summer.
I played against David Unsworth once. He had no discernible talent but he could hit it a long long way. He also had one of the funniest meltdowns I've ever seen when he was given LBW. He had a laugh and apologised for it afterwards though, seemed a good sport.

Had a chat with him at the bar when I did a stint of chefin at Talacre Beach park and he owned a caravan on site. Crackin' fella.

"but the Goodison club lost Martyn when they seemed to have him. His wife has family on Merseyside and he was inclined to go there until he went for the interview. The manager was unavailable, the chairman, Peter Johnson, too busy and when he told director Cliff Finch that he was also talking to Leeds the reaction was, well, strange.

"He went away for 15 minutes," Martyn said, "and when he came back he gave me the directions to the M62 and told me to leave as early as I could because the traffic was building. I can understand they didn't want to get involved in an auction, but they had me there. If they'd worked harder they might have kept me. I came over to Leeds and was treated completely differently. They made more effort."
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-martyns-return-wins-rare-respect-1283177.html

Status
Not open for further replies.