News of Ex Players

Only just seen that online....yes serious that by the looks of it. They're Crowdfunding for him.

My thoughts and prayers are with him. As posted elsewhere Mrs BR is currently going through chemo following serious surgery in September so I can empathise with him. He was a great character on the field. Hopefully it has been caught early.

My thoughts and prayers are with him. As posted elsewhere Mrs BR is currently going through chemo following serious surgery in September so I can empathise with him. He was a great character on the field. Hopefully it has been caught early.
Indeed.....and moreover, God Bless your wife during her Chemo and her recovery beyond. I've nursed close family in serious circumstances as yourself and I'll remember her in my prayers.

Former Everton Man Admits Biggest Career Mistake

Featured Image

Date: 22nd February 2019 at 6:40am
Written by: Eric Sohn

Former Everton winger Anders Limpar has admitted this week that his biggest career regret was rejecting an offer from the club to extend his time with us 22 years ago.

The now 53-year-old is probably best known in this country amongst other fans from his spell at Arsenal, but back in March 1994 he made a reported £1.6milion switch to Goodison Park and according to Soccerbase he went on to make 66 starting appearances for the club across all competitions, with an additional 18 showings from the substitutes bench. The Swedish international returned six goals in that time, before he departed the club in January 1997 on a loan spell with Birmingham and then departed permanently the next summer.

His spell at the club was mixed as he admitted himself to the Official Siteand the self-confessed Evertonian as a boy, does regret his departure, especially as the club were making moves to secure his services for longer – where presumably his time at the club would’ve seen far more brighter moments.

The 1995 FA Cup winner was quoted by the Liverpool Echo as saying.

“What I can remember is that I didn’t play that much in ‘97 for some reason, if I was bad, I don’t know. All I know was that I was a little bit fed up after 12 years or whatever abroad. Jesper (son) was seven-years-old and I wanted to go back to Sweden for him to go to school. I remember that Everton offered me another three-year contract and that’s one thing I really regret in my life, that I didn’t sign again. I went on loan to Birmingham for some reason and then we went back to Sweden. I totally regret that, I should have stayed another three years with Everton. That’s a dark period in my life to leave it.”

The very best to you and your family my friend, wishing your wife a full and lasting recovery

Oh my giddy aunt, Abel Xavier is the manager of Mozambique.

Xavier on brink of managerial success after showing skills at Everton

Abel Xavier first showed his leadership qualities off the pitch at Everton

Abel Xavier, manager of Mozambique, but still possessor of an elaborate hairstyle.

Abel Xavier, manager of Mozambique, but still possessor of an elaborate hairstyle.

Former Everton and Liverpool favourite Abel Xavier is on the brink of success as a manager.
The extravagantly coiffured former Portugal star has taken Mozambique, the country of his birth, to within one match of a first African Nations Cup appearance since 2010.

His team must go to Guinea-Bissau, another former Portuguese colony, and win their last group K game at the end of March to qualify for the finals in Egypt in June.

It's a tough ask, but Xavier is confident it can be achieved.
"I've believed from the start of these qualifiers that we have the strength in our squad to go on and qualify," said the 46-year-old.
Mozambique started the qualifying campaign with a shock away win at 2012 African champions Zambia and have remained in contention ever since.

"I initially selected 75 players for the senior national team, of which 40 per cent are between the ages of 19 and 23," Xavier told World Soccer.

0_CD2983183.jpg

Alan Stubbs celebrates scoring with Abel Xavier (Image: Shaun Botterill/Getty Images)
"I saw them all, I selected them without influence. The future is about youth development.

"We have tried to change the mentality in Mozambique and persuade officials that it is not like it was before. it's a country with a lot of problems but we certainly can compete. We have big names from the past as a reference (Eusebio) and I'm convinced there are more here right now. We just need to discover them."

Xavier's first managerial role came in July 2013 at Portuguese top flight club Olhanense but he only lasted three months - sacked despite winning his last match to lie in 11th place.

He then spent five months as manager of Farense in Portugal, leaving after another 11th place finish and then was sacked after just two months as manager of second division side Desportivo das Aves.

XavierPNG.png

Abel Xavier celebrates against Bayer Leverkusen in 2002 (Image: Getty Images)
He became the Mozambique manager in February 2016.
His leadership qualities shone through during his time as a player at Everton.
Xavier was the Walter Smith signing who led a delegation of players to ask if the Echo would carry a plea from a group of players backing the then under-pressure Blues boss.

The tactic bought the Blues boss some breathing space. Briefly.
Xavier added: "I have changed a lot of things from the way they were before, because if Mozambique in the past didn;t achieve there was a reason for that."

Abel Xavier

Xavier comes to the end of his contract after the qualifiers, but if he can successfully guide Mozambique to the finals he will surely be offered an extension.
Xavier made 49 appearances for Everton after signing from PSV Eindhoven for £1.5m in September 1999.
He crossed the park in January 2002 for £800,000, scored on his debut against Ipswich but made only 21 appearances, scoring twice, before moving on loan to Galatasaray and then permanently to Hannover 96.