Match Thread Newcastle United v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Far less insufferable than Troy, less injury prone than Andros, so...

1.png

The sad thing about it Newcastle sat back in the 2nd half as they knew the was no goal threat whatsoever from us - one striker in the box all night apart from the one corner we achieved =pathetic
True, but they would say it was simple and effective game management. They had the points in the bag, knew there was no threat, no need to go gung-ho for more goals, just manage the game out and lock the points. Thats what efficient, well-drilled sides do and is no doubt why Newcastle will finish around the European places and we'll be a couple above the drop.

True, but they would say it was simple and effective game management. They had the points in the bag, knew there was no threat, no need to go gung-ho for more goals, just manage the game out and lock the points. Thats what efficient, well-drilled sides do and is no doubt why Newcastle will finish around the European places and we'll be a couple above the drop.
Nothing but the best will do - our motto.....

Nothing but the best will do - our motto.....
In principle, I agree with you. In reality I've been on this forum long enough to read posts saying things like "just don't lose to Newcastle" [last season] or "we have to take points off Burnley" or "I'd take 17th place now" etc. Not exactly the definition of NSNO.

I wouldn't disagree that not having enough shots is very poor. I think this is down to the fact we've got a team that is now we'll drilled defensively and lost one of its main attacking threats pre-season that wasn't replaced adequately. Yes we are letting a goal in but not like last season where you could just see teams scoring a number of goals against us with comparative ease. We defo need to change our set up to try and give us a more attacking threat which for me is sacrificing gray or Gordon playing two up top (possibly pushing iwobi Futher forward) but it's clear the present set up is just not attacking minded enough or possibly just doesn't have that quality available.
We need what we have needed for a long time, a player who can see and pick a killer pass, someone who takes it off the midfield and creates attacks. Rodriguez done it briefly, before that Barkley. 4-3-3 doesn’t work when our wingers don’t create or attack.
I can’t believe I miss having a No10 type.

I honestly think the midfield three are ok. The two CB’s are fine. The full backs and front three are to blame.

The amount of times Gana picks it up, plays to Onana, he skips a player, plays it to Iwobi who turns, plays to Gray/Gordon who can’t move it on, breaks down, back to us on the defensive.

The two fullbacks without Patterson are impotent. Gray is good, but his decision making is awful. Gordon is a work in progress and shouldn’t be relied on. McNeil is a between the lines player who would be great in Potter’s Chelsea side, but offers us little. Dom is coming back from injury. Maupay is a good link up player, technically very good, but he only works in a team already playing good football.

What do we have going forward that hurts other teams? Very little.

Lots of the best modern coaches seem to have systems their teams attack by. Lampard has galvanised us, built a better side, made them a better unit. But he needs to make them a team that can play forward and create chances. He hasn’t so far.

I personally think he deserves a season or two to try. We’ve been [Poor language removed] for a while. But if he can’t do it after a season or two, move on.

We need to enter Bradley Moore as an ever present of the EPL. The club needs to be able to make noise about how we started at Anfield, moved to Goodison, then moved to a state of the art stadium on the Mersey. And throw it down everyone’s throats that we are here, have always been here, and will always be here.

That's your words mate
Your words:
''The purpose is to analyze the match beyond the final score''
''Some people want to understand the game while others are just here for the emotion''

The fact is, back in the eighties, without seeing any 'miles/km run' stats, we all knew that Trevor Steven ran more than Kevin Sheedy.

And without seeing any 'key passes in the final third' stats we all knew that Sheedy was worth his place in the team all the same.

Fans and managers alike could tell when one team had more of the ball than the other without seeing possession stats.

I'm possibly the least knowledgeable fan on this forum, yet even I could analyze the match beyond the final score 40 years ago. And I did so before, during and after every match. Along with every fan I've ever met.

Never met anyone who was ''just here for the emotion'' but all of us enjoy (or suffer) due to the emotion. However, I'd suggest that the vast majority of fans understand that the only valid , quantifiable stats are, in fact, goals and points. The rest is just white noise made by number crunchers who think they can understand football by counting everything. They never will. It adds nothing to the enjoyment or understanding of the game.

Your words:
''The purpose is to analyze the match beyond the final score''
''Some people want to understand the game while others are just here for the emotion''

The fact is, back in the eighties, without seeing any 'miles/km run' stats, we all knew that Trevor Steven ran more than Kevin Sheedy.

And without seeing any 'key passes in the final third' stats we all knew that Sheedy was worth his place in the team all the same.

Fans and managers alike could tell when one team had more of the ball than the other without seeing possession stats.

I'm possibly the least knowledgeable fan on this forum, yet even I could analyze the match beyond the final score 40 years ago. And I did so before, during and after every match. Along with every fan I've ever met.

Never met anyone who was ''just here for the emotion'' but all of us enjoy (or suffer) due to the emotion. However, I'd suggest that the vast majority of fans understand that the only valid , quantifiable stats are, in fact, goals and points. The rest is just white noise made by number crunchers who think they can understand football by counting everything. They never will. It adds nothing to the enjoyment or understanding of the game.
Keep telling yourself that!

Typical response of someone who has no counter argument.
You make a generalisation which is totally off the mark and insinuate ignorance on my part but you clearly haven't got much of a clue.
What counter argument is worth my time? You've decided that nothing matters or is legitimate aside from what you like so why would I waste my time trying to convince you otherwise?

Status
Not open for further replies.