Homepage Update: New Manager, Same Results?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Wayne

Player Valuation: £100m
Bruce Wayne submitted an update to GrandOldTeam's homepage

New Manager, Same Results?
Everton-1-1024x465.jpg

Casting my mind back to the summer, there was an overwhelming sense of optimism. After years of fallow transfer windows, we burst out of the blocks with gusto, with barely a day going by without a new signing coming in. It made everyone sit up and take notice and made all of us look forward to what the season would bring.

Of course, as we now know, that optimism has been shattered by the worst start to a season in over a decade. What's more, the new signings that made us so excited a few months ago have all largely flattered to deceive, and with European football seemingly over and done with, the inevitable has happened and Koeman has been shown the door.

Whilst I wouldn't put myself as a Koeman supporter, I was initially writing this post barely an hour before he was officially sacked, as I felt there are a number of factors that significantly hampered our progress this season that will also hamper whomever our new manager is.
A team of strangers

The summer was really something to behold. For almost as long as I can remember transfer windows would be full of naff rumours, gallows humour and the inevitable signing of a young eastern European goalkeeper on deadline day. This summer was different though, and different in a huge way. I believe we officially signed 25 players, which put us comfortably at the top of the signings league table. It's not quite as prestigious as the 7th place trophy, but given our past is still something.

Of course, not all of those players were for the first team, and a good number were signed very much with the under 23's in mind, but nonetheless, we made a significant overhaul of the first team squad. I'm nothing but an armchair critic, so have no idea how long it takes to integrate new signings into a team, but I can't personally recall any team make such a comprehensive overhaul of their squad and have a strong season afterwards. The likes of Liverpool and Spurs, after the Suarez and Bale windfalls respectively, both struggled to integrate a host of new signings, and we've gone further than both. It isn't clear quite how long we should realistically wait for the team to play like they know one another, but it wouldn't surprise me if we don't see the best of them until next season.
A glut of games

This was compounded by an incredibly heavy fixture list in our season to date. With Europa games plus the League Cup, we've barely had a single week without at least two games to play. This inevitably means that training sessions are devoted more towards recovering from the previous game than they are helping the squad know what to expect, both from their new team mates and the tactics Koeman wanted them to play. Throw in a couple of international breaks and it resulted in precious little productive time on the training pitch for the players to familiarise themselves with each other. Of course, it's quite possible that by the time we appoint a new manager full-time we won't have either Europa or League cups to worry about, but that seems scant consolation.

Fixtures from hell

Another factor that underpins performances on the pitch is confidence. Not only do you need to know the strengths and weakness of your colleagues, and the tactics of your coach, but have the confidence in both yourself and the aforementioned. This comes largely from success on the pitch, and the fixture computer gave us an incredibly challenging start with which to build such confidence. Indeed, with a run of heavy defeats, you could visibly see the confidence draining from the players.

A new manager could undoubtedly help by selecting a more consistent lineup, but confidence only really comes via wins, and we're in something of a vicious cycle at the moment that will take some getting out of.
The cavalry not arriving

It seems peculiar to be bemoaning absentees given the huge outlay on new players, but we've nonetheless missed a number of players that would make a real difference to our squad. Arguably the biggest absence has been Seamus, who is arguably irreplaceable on the right flank. Koeman tried three different players, and even a change in formation, to try and fill a void that never really looked like being filled. Likewise Ross, whose stock has risen with each week out of a team that was crying out for the kind of 'productivity' that he's provided regularly over the years. Even Bolasie and Funes Mori would both offer attractive options over the likes of DCL and Williams respectively.

Whilst all four of these are due to be fit before too long, it remains to be seen how long it will be before they're 100% fit and back to their best. It's no guarantee, therefore, that the new manager will benefit from their return to the squad for a little while yet.

I certainly wouldn't want to be an apologist for a manager that never really built up the emotional backing of the fans during his short time at the club, but I feel the above would have challenged far better managers than Koeman, and it is probably not realistic to expect whomever our new manager ends up being to come in and instantly turn us around.

This article is a mixed bag.

Did Koeman et al need to overhaul the squad? Alienate barkley, treat Oumar like sh1t3 etc. Is Klassen any good and gylf's stats better than Ross 's? What did Lookman/lennon do wrong. He assembled a paceless ,muddled, expensive mess. Why not learn from the mistakes at spurs and sh1te?

The silver lining in the article is that resolving this crap ( and we're currently relegation fodder, no mistake ), is it will need time and Unsy needs a window of at least the rest of the season.

Did Koeman et al need to overhaul the squad? Alienate barkley, treat Oumar like sh1t3 etc. Is Klassen any good and gylf's stats better than Ross 's? What did Lookman/lennon do wrong. He assembled a paceless ,muddled, expensive mess. Why not learn from the mistakes at spurs and sh1te?

The silver lining in the article is that resolving this crap ( and we're currently relegation fodder, no mistake ), is it will need time and Unsy needs a window of at least the rest of the season.
No unsworth doesnt. He needs to stop the rot before the new man comes in

What is wrong with your letter sizing???

I would hope that Unsworth can build a team spirit in the squad, get them working together rather than as individuals. I think he can have a positive impact on the team, even if it does only turn out to be short term.

No unsworth doesnt. He needs to stop the rot before the new man comes in
I get this, but who?

The only Everton managers post-war to win anything are ex-blues. Taking that idea... who's out there that's already worked with these players and understands the club and fans better? Stubbs (who did great at Hibs and got a wrong'n in Rotherham)

Let's say we look past that and you're of course right, there are other options out there that can push us up (Pulis/Allardyce/Dyche). Football-wise I don't think any of those would move us on from where their teams sit today (albeit Dyche I think has done what Moyes did in that he's achieved a high league position on absolutely zero budget). Allardyce and Pulis have repeated it everywhere they've been, in their defence (ive football)

Our net spend was only 50m this summer and less last time out. No Europe, no ground, good youth, no cash. I can't see who wants that except for who already loves the club and knows how it ticks.

Not arguing btw, happy to be reassured on contenders. I almost understand the Benitez thing rather than those others, barring the obvious.

I wasn't suggesting that Koeman (and Walsh) be exonerated, merely assessing whether a new manager will be able to instantly improve us given where we currently are. I don't suppose you'll find many who support the way we performed in the transfer window, yet many do appear to want to see us spending more money in January, if only on a striker.

It's a difficult situation for the club, as in an ideal world you would focus your money on really big players in a few places (VVD for instance) so that you improve the team without disrupting it too much. The thing is, those kind of players are in demand by clubs competing for trophies and playing CL footy. We're not there yet, so rightly or wrongly chose to spread our spending around in the hope that we'd improve a lot of positions by a bit rather than a few by a lot.

What a new manager can do (and Koeman certainly didn't) is decide on their preferred team and preferred formation and give them some time together, but it will still probably take a bit of time before we see the best from this group of players.

I get this, but who?

The only Everton managers post-war to win anything are ex-blues. Taking that idea... who's out there that's already worked with these players and understands the club and fans better? Stubbs (who did great at Hibs and got a wrong'n in Rotherham)

Let's say we look past that and you're of course right, there are other options out there that can push us up (Pulis/Allardyce/Dyche). Football-wise I don't think any of those would move us on from where their teams sit today (albeit Dyche I think has done what Moyes did in that he's achieved a high league position on absolutely zero budget). Allardyce and Pulis have repeated it everywhere they've been, in their defence (ive football)

Our net spend was only 50m this summer and less last time out. No Europe, no ground, good youth, no cash. I can't see who wants that except for who already loves the club and knows how it ticks.

Not arguing btw, happy to be reassured on contenders. I almost understand the Benitez thing rather than those others, barring the obvious.
Quite a bit of the unsworth revolves around 40 years ago and how former blues were succesful . Yes former blues were succesful here, but the game has completely changed. Even ancelotti was sacked not too long ago for being old fashioned!

The team will play better under unsworth vecause it couodnt get any worse under koeman. But long term? What if the results don't start coming? What if lack of experience kicks in? What if come January we are still bottom 3 because unsworth just wasn't ready? The end result of that is a potential future manager of this club is burned at the start of his career because he gave him his chance far too early?

How many assistants and academy coaches have stepped in and been succesful in the premier league? In fact more to the point how many of them stepping in over getting a new manager have been SACKED as a result? Do you want this club to sack unsworth by not learning from every other example that has come before him?

And why don't the succesful clubs do this? Reverting back, clubs who have ambition hire a new manager , clubs who are small time give the job to someone internal with the aim of staying up. Are we really that small time to do that?

Bruce Wayne submitted an update to GrandOldTeam's homepage

New Manager, Same Results?
Everton-1-1024x465.jpg

Casting my mind back to the summer, there was an overwhelming sense of optimism. After years of fallow transfer windows, we burst out of the blocks with gusto, with barely a day going by without a new signing coming in. It made everyone sit up and take notice and made all of us look forward to what the season would bring.

Of course, as we now know, that optimism has been shattered by the worst start to a season in over a decade. What's more, the new signings that made us so excited a few months ago have all largely flattered to deceive, and with European football seemingly over and done with, the inevitable has happened and Koeman has been shown the door.

Whilst I wouldn't put myself as a Koeman supporter, I was initially writing this post barely an hour before he was officially sacked, as I felt there are a number of factors that significantly hampered our progress this season that will also hamper whomever our new manager is.
A team of strangers

The summer was really something to behold. For almost as long as I can remember transfer windows would be full of naff rumours, gallows humour and the inevitable signing of a young eastern European goalkeeper on deadline day. This summer was different though, and different in a huge way. I believe we officially signed 25 players, which put us comfortably at the top of the signings league table. It's not quite as prestigious as the 7th place trophy, but given our past is still something.

Of course, not all of those players were for the first team, and a good number were signed very much with the under 23's in mind, but nonetheless, we made a significant overhaul of the first team squad. I'm nothing but an armchair critic, so have no idea how long it takes to integrate new signings into a team, but I can't personally recall any team make such a comprehensive overhaul of their squad and have a strong season afterwards. The likes of Liverpool and Spurs, after the Suarez and Bale windfalls respectively, both struggled to integrate a host of new signings, and we've gone further than both. It isn't clear quite how long we should realistically wait for the team to play like they know one another, but it wouldn't surprise me if we don't see the best of them until next season.
A glut of games

This was compounded by an incredibly heavy fixture list in our season to date. With Europa games plus the League Cup, we've barely had a single week without at least two games to play. This inevitably means that training sessions are devoted more towards recovering from the previous game than they are helping the squad know what to expect, both from their new team mates and the tactics Koeman wanted them to play. Throw in a couple of international breaks and it resulted in precious little productive time on the training pitch for the players to familiarise themselves with each other. Of course, it's quite possible that by the time we appoint a new manager full-time we won't have either Europa or League cups to worry about, but that seems scant consolation.

Fixtures from hell

Another factor that underpins performances on the pitch is confidence. Not only do you need to know the strengths and weakness of your colleagues, and the tactics of your coach, but have the confidence in both yourself and the aforementioned. This comes largely from success on the pitch, and the fixture computer gave us an incredibly challenging start with which to build such confidence. Indeed, with a run of heavy defeats, you could visibly see the confidence draining from the players.

A new manager could undoubtedly help by selecting a more consistent lineup, but confidence only really comes via wins, and we're in something of a vicious cycle at the moment that will take some getting out of.
The cavalry not arriving

It seems peculiar to be bemoaning absentees given the huge outlay on new players, but we've nonetheless missed a number of players that would make a real difference to our squad. Arguably the biggest absence has been Seamus, who is arguably irreplaceable on the right flank. Koeman tried three different players, and even a change in formation, to try and fill a void that never really looked like being filled. Likewise Ross, whose stock has risen with each week out of a team that was crying out for the kind of 'productivity' that he's provided regularly over the years. Even Bolasie and Funes Mori would both offer attractive options over the likes of DCL and Williams respectively.

Whilst all four of these are due to be fit before too long, it remains to be seen how long it will be before they're 100% fit and back to their best. It's no guarantee, therefore, that the new manager will benefit from their return to the squad for a little while yet.

I certainly wouldn't want to be an apologist for a manager that never really built up the emotional backing of the fans during his short time at the club, but I feel the above would have challenged far better managers than Koeman, and it is probably not realistic to expect whomever our new manager ends up being to come in and instantly turn us around.

'...I feel the above would have challenged far better managers than Koeman.'
It's the luck of the draw - you get good cards and bad cards and considering nearly 200M spent, that should've shaded the odds a bit in his favour.
Unsworth will get dealt the same unforseen cards, both good and bad, deal with them poorly or well just like Koeman and will live or die on the results.
'Twas always thus, though the honeymoon is a lot shorter now.

I wasn't suggesting that Koeman (and Walsh) be exonerated, merely assessing whether a new manager will be able to instantly improve us given where we currently are. I don't suppose you'll find many who support the way we performed in the transfer window, yet many do appear to want to see us spending more money in January, if only on a striker.

It's a difficult situation for the club, as in an ideal world you would focus your money on really big players in a few places (VVD for instance) so that you improve the team without disrupting it too much. The thing is, those kind of players are in demand by clubs competing for trophies and playing CL footy. We're not there yet, so rightly or wrongly chose to spread our spending around in the hope that we'd improve a lot of positions by a bit rather than a few by a lot.

What a new manager can do (and Koeman certainly didn't) is decide on their preferred team and preferred formation and give them some time together, but it will still probably take a bit of time before we see the best from this group of players.

1st Para: Agree.

Need 2 x strikers + LB + CB. Praying for Seamus, Bolasie and Barks fit for Xmas fixtures!

Striker: Sandro goes on loan
LB, Get Galloway back as cover/competition
CB, Jags, Keane, FM, Holgate, Williams... Don't need 5, need 4. 1 goes.

MF At least 2 on loan/sold from this lot: Martina, McCarthy, Besic, Klassen. Not good and/or fit enough.

Losing the 4 above pays for at least 1 decent striker to improve quality of squad. Cost = £0

2nd Para: Agree.

We overpaid and not in positions we needed players. Quantity not quality.
  • Barry, Snides good on the ball with Gana and Davies to break. Pickford, Keane, OK young English 50m the pair.
  • So Walsh and Koeman have literally wasted £90M+ of the 140m spent. Other players are making impact at other clubs on much smaller budgets (Richarlison, Brady, the lad at Leicester). People knew about Lukaku leaving (well done Koeman, who said publicly he'd need to leave) and they saw us coming...
  • Not adding a striker now seems almost unbelievable. Vardy? Walsh goes, for me.
3rd para.

Totally agree... needs until season-end minimum

Quite a bit of the unsworth revolves around 40 years ago and how former blues were succesful . Yes former blues were succesful here, but the game has completely changed. Even ancelotti was sacked not too long ago for being old fashioned!

The team will play better under unsworth vecause it couodnt get any worse under koeman. But long term? What if the results don't start coming? What if lack of experience kicks in? What if come January we are still bottom 3 because unsworth just wasn't ready? The end result of that is a potential future manager of this club is burned at the start of his career because he gave him his chance far too early?

How many assistants and academy coaches have stepped in and been succesful in the premier league? In fact more to the point how many of them stepping in over getting a new manager have been SACKED as a result? Do you want this club to sack unsworth by not learning from every other example that has come before him?

And why don't the succesful clubs do this? Reverting back, clubs who have ambition hire a new manager , clubs who are small time give the job to someone internal with the aim of staying up. Are we really that small time to do that?

Hm, take your point(s).

If we're thinking survival now, shouldn't we go for someone with those creds now? Back to Dyche, Pulis, Allardyce.

The more one thinks about this the greater the amount of sH8te you realise we have to plough through now either way, and how much we need Seamus, Ross and Yannick back.

I don't envy David Unsworth. He's been handed the reigns to manage an ageing, slow side with new players who were brought in without much thought. I mean Klasson, Sigurdsson and Rooney. And we've got Ross Barkley coming back.

I think the squad is good enough to stay up, but I don't see much beyond that this season. I just hope we're battling for top
half and not 17th.

I don't envy David Unsworth. He's been handed the reigns to manage an ageing, slow side with new players who were brought in without much thought. I mean Klasson, Sigurdsson and Rooney. And we've got Ross Barkley coming back.

I think the squad is good enough to stay up, but I don't see much beyond that this season. I just hope we're battling for top
half and not 17th.

I reckon the squad is actually okay. I mean all bar Lukaku remain from the squad that finished 7th at a canter. The problem isn't the personnel so much as the number of new players brought into the squad in one go. It takes time to build up cohesion, and the team are strangers to each other at the moment. I mean the lineup against Stoke had 5 debutants (including Rooney and excluding Sigurdsson). That's a lot of new blood to get up to speed. What's more, they were playing a new formation, so even those who have been around the club for longer would have needed time to adapt to it. Strange players in a strange formation = what we've seen.

I'm just not sure it's a quick fix as what the team needs is time and consistency (of selection and tactics).

Status
Not open for further replies.