New Everton Stadium Discussion

Inappropriate Language
“It’s not personal it’s business “ tells me listen fella we don’t give a [Poor language removed] about you, we’re doing this now,
It may sound like a no nonsense calculated decision to some,
But to me it sounds like a C&£Ts trick and just because it’s Everton doesn’t make it ok.

I was never that big a fan of his after I felt he talked us down a bit in some do the church meetings. Talking about how the optimum number of seats is 1 above the number of people you have there as an argument for a smaller capacity. That’s great but why are the most successful clubs in the world building bigger and bigger stadiums Dan? Just kept dodging the capacity question.

Im sure there are plenty of architects out there getting paid millions to knock up some generic flavour of the month design without any afterthought into the heritage of the club and city.

You disagree that we owe him anything fair enough but personally I think its a c***s trick we've pulled.

We are all grateful that he has designed us a great stadium (for which I'm sure he was handsomely paid.) His work here is done and that's the end of the matter.
You and others wouldn't give a toss if he hadn't got himself an Everton tattoo and had a game of darts with the lids in the Bramley Moore pub.

As long as things remain on course is all that matters.

I'm sure Meis would have been compensated adequately.

If anything this is a further sign of momentum and in a project of this size, you can't please everyone.

Poor form from Meis and hardly beneficial in terms of attracting more work.

We are all grateful that he has designed us a great stadium (for which I'm sure he was handsomely paid.) His work here is done and that's the end of the matter.
You and others wouldn't give a toss if he hadn't got himself an Everton tattoo and had a game of darts with the lids in the Bramley Moore pub.

I totally forgot about the Everton tattoo tbh mate lol listen im one of the last people to want jobs for the boys its been my biggest annoyance with EFC for years but I genuinely believe he went above and beyond with the designs and really took the time to get a feel for not just Everton but the city and the dock sites heritage.

For me after seeing the likes of DK's jarg designs I feel like the fella really had pride in this project and deserved to have seen it through (thats just my opinion).

I know he's been well paid but for me I think it was more than just money and he genuinely wanted to create a world class stadium for the club - not often you get many who give a toss about EFC these days mate!

Personally I liked Meis, I especially appreciated the way he immersed himself with the fans and subsequently produced a design which won overwhelming approval from the support.
I am certain this wouldn’t have happened with a faceless corporate like Pattern.
If planning is granted and the project moves forward this is usually the point where the architects vision will come under pressure from the construction companies overriding pursuit of maximum profit.
All construction firms are by nature aggressive profiteers and will happily ride roughshod over anyone who opposes their rapacious acquisition of money and land.
They will always attempt to simplify any over complex or ‘custom’ designs in preference for more generic or standardised alternatives because it will generally yield them better financial rewards. They will invariably argue for such changes under the guise of reducing costs for the client or time delays, despite the fact that they originally tendered for the job after seeing the original plans.
Obviously if the original design is to have any chance of completion it will have to be robustly defended and you have to question whether a corporate entity like Pattern who already have a cozy relationship with the builder and little intellectual investment in Meis’ design will fight the case sufficiently.
I suspect not.
Worst case scenario is we end up with a generic flat pack stadium ,( with a few twiddly bits ), after all.