New Everton Stadium Discussion

What you are suggesting though must be to tear the wall down along its entire length in towards town. North as well I suppose to include those coming that way. You can see the stadium for the vast majority of your journey from town towards it as it is, unsurprisingly, significantly taller than the existing wall. Your view is only impacted in any real way if you are stood right next to the wall trying to look at what's on the other side. If you are doing that, you might as well just walk through the gates. Removing the wall would only have an impact on one view, that down Boundary Street, which as it comes in from an elevated position minimises the areas obscured anyway.

But the dock wall is punctuated all the way up from the Strand to the north end docks in any case. Gaps have been created in it for roads and access points all the way up.

It wouldn't in any way set a precedent by removing sections of the wall outside the stadium on Regent Road and preserving others.

There's two ways of looking at this and I don't think one is more right than the other. You either see a wall as a frontier (and that's a big attraction for many people who seek a fortress to defend. An entirely natural impulse to hold) or you see them as limiting.

It's a philosophical consideration as much as economic or aesthetic.

@davek Beautiful work in this thread.

I remember at the start of all this your stoicism in the fact this would never be built, to be fair one of few things you've predicted which has turned out to be wrong.

Anyway to bring a wall outside the ground into focus so much it's become a hotly debated topic is good going.
My views on the stadium have been consistent:

1/ the design leaves a lot to be desired
2/ the wall is an encumbrance
3/ the stadium will be iconic given the location

@davek while we are revisiting your initial concerns about the stadium, did you notice how enormous those wind turbines looked on episode 2 of 'the Responder'?
1000014473.jpg

@davek Don't know about you but when ever I've driven down a nice country lane for the first time I try to look at the big houses & rolling hills etc. There is nearly always a house though that you can't see. It's always either just an entrance to a really long drive that's very well looked after or simply a well established wall or hedging with a tall gated entrance that blocks everything from view with security cameras a plenty. The phrase " I bet the house down there is massive" or a variation of it comes into play. It's the house you remember even though you didn't even see it. Drive that road again another day & it's the one you look out for trying to get a different peak to see what's beyond.

The allure that home has is so much stronger than all the others.

Now people aren't stupid, they know it's probably just a farm or the bigger manor house that used to own all the land in a past life or simply somebody's really big home but they still want to look past the gates for themselves.
The stadium has a similar appeal. People aren't stupid, they know it's a football stadium but the desire to look at it beyond the walls is part of the attraction.

@davek Beautiful work in this thread.

I remember at the start of all this your stoicism in the fact this would never be built, to be fair one of few things you've predicted which has turned out to be wrong.

Anyway to bring a wall outside the ground into focus so much it's become a hotly debated topic is good going.
Maybe the wind turbines will blow down the walls eh @davek

How do other stadiums without a wall around it manage their events?

I don't think I'm the only one who'll have gone past the new stadium site and felt a sense of frustration at just how much of it can seen from Regent Road.

And to think that we and the rest of the population won't be able to walk around the stadium on a casual basis as and when we want as we can with Goodiosn now is going to be a real turn off.

I know they are Grade II listed, but I don't see those walls lasting. They are an encumbrance to what should be a civic asset and a tourist destination if people have to have get a ticket just to wander on the concourse.
its not worse than at Goodison Park with all them perishing houses adjacent to it. AS the shop will be open, as will the offices within the ground, I can see the opportunity to walk around the site will be there. He'll, they may even open a bar

"Expensive ticketing options, and executive experiences? Utilizing the surrounding area to maximize revenue potentials? Have we not considered free tickets for all, and an organic vegetable allotment where this dreadful 'fan zone' would be? Why in god's name are we always skint? Why aren't we in the Champions League??"

1716493642534.png

My views on the stadium have been consistent:

1/ the design leaves a lot to be desired
2/ the wall is an encumbrance
3/ the stadium will be iconic given the location
Re: 2/ It is something to think about, how they'll avoid kettling the crowd through that wall as they all leave after the game. But I guess it's all been passed by planners etc. It's been a thought whenever i looked a the plans though, and seeing it built hasn't changed my mind so far.

Maybe that's why Liverpool fans pushed down that wall.

Anyways, the wall is a small price to pay for having the fantastic stadium in a world class location. I quite like it tbh, even if it represents a historically bad time for the country. Should not be erased.

No More Walls, by Joe Fagan