New Everton Stadium Discussion

If so then that's a relief.

I just don't like the restricted feel that wall gives the stadium.

Walls are negative. They're exclusive when we should be - as @The Esk correctly states - the all-inclusive football club of the city of Liverpool.
Maybe that's why Liverpool fans pushed down that wall.

Anyways, the wall is a small price to pay for having the fantastic stadium in a world class location. I quite like it tbh, even if it represents a historically bad time for the country. Should not be erased.

How do other stadiums without a wall around it manage their events?

I don't think I'm the only one who'll have gone past the new stadium site and felt a sense of frustration at just how much of it can seen from Regent Road.

And to think that we and the rest of the population won't be able to walk around the stadium on a casual basis as and when we want as we can with Goodiosn now is going to be a real turn off.

I know they are Grade II listed, but I don't see those walls lasting. They are an encumbrance to what should be a civic asset and a tourist destination if people have to have get a ticket just to wander on the concourse.
I think it's great and will be an iconic and unique feature for the next 100 years. The ground's resemblance to an impenetrable fortress with a thick unscaleable wall protecting one side and water on the others will light a fire in the subliminal recesses of opposition players and fans and they will enter with fear and trepidation. Until they see Michael Keane on the team sheet and then they will commence with their rape and plunder with gay abandon.

We could have had a hugely open stadium if we wanted Dave, it would have solved a problem area for the Council as well over at stonebridge Lane, just off the East Lancs...

Just because it's not something you like, it doesn't mean it's bad. It's also not good because I can see some positoves in it. What it is though, is unique. It's an existing feature that I don't think any stadium in world football has.

Have you ever been to the Camp Nou? They have a structure that extends the boundary of the stadium, buts its a chain link fence (at least it was when I went 15+ years ago...) there are other similar control in other places, but none that absolutely anchor the whole development in its surroundings.

It almost maddens me that there are people who bemoan the clubs ability to make good commercial decisions, but then don't agree with them taking advantage of something that is already there. Seems highly contradictory. Unless you want the wall to be replaced with chainlink fences of course.

The reason I don't like it is that it shuts the stadium off when I want it to be highly visible.

It's penned in enough by the United Utilities plant, the adjoining dock, and the River Mersey. The obscuring of its view from Regent Road should never have been countenanced. That was just bending the knee to conservationists.

It's great that the gates will be open on non-event days for all-comers to wander about outside the new stadium, but where others see a fortress behind its own ramparts I see an obstacle to what will be one of the city's greatest cultural assets. We need to think like citizens first not fans. Because fans will flock there anyway, but others both from Liverpool and tourists visiting the region are the ones we need to impress and attract. The whole world needs to be welcomed to Everton's new stadium. Hiding it behind a pretty ugly wall does the reverse IMO. It's unwelcoming.

This is a state of the art stadium, and it'll be the best in northern Britain in terms of facilities without a shadow of a doubt.; while it's location on the Mersey waterfront marks it down as one of the most iconic stadiums in world football. It will look amazing when broadcast to billions globally. We have those things going for us. But this wall is an eyesore and I'm convinced it won't last more than a few years down the line before a decision on it will be revisited.

The reason I don't like it is that it shuts the stadium off when I want it to be highly visible.

It's penned in enough by the United Utilities plant, the adjoining dock, and the River Mersey. The obscuring of its view from Regent Road should never have been countenanced. That was just bending the knee to conservationists.

It's great that the gates will be open on non-event days for all-comers to wander about outside the new stadium, but where others see a fortress behind its own ramparts I see an obstacle to what will be one of the city's greatest cultural assets. We need to think like citizens first not fans. Because fans will flock there anyway, but others both from Liverpool and tourists visiting the region are the ones we need to impress and attract. The whole world needs to be welcomed to Everton's new stadium. Hiding it behind a pretty ugly wall does the reverse IMO. It's unwelcoming.

This is a state of the art stadium, and it'll be the best in northern Britain in terms of facilities without a shadow of a doubt.; while it's location on the Mersey waterfront marks it down as one of the most iconic stadiums in world football. It will look amazing when broadcast to billions globally. We have those things going for us. But this wall is an eyesore and I'm convinced it won't last more than a few years down the line before a decision on it will be revisited.
Wall won’t be going anywhere unless it’s left to decay and become unsafe. And that ain’t happen when there’s 53k people passing through it at least 19 times a season.

The brick-built hydraulic accumulator tower, which provided power to the dock gates and lifting equipment, is still in situ, as is the dock road perimeter wall, both of which are Grade II listed, and should be accommodated in some form in the new plans.

1716476314691.png

BRING ON THE WALL

It's a class divider, it's in your society's nature to perpetuate that. 😛

The point is Dave that we can put on events that other can't because of what we have. I doubt that the gates will be closed on non-matchday.

There are more opportunities open by having it there than if it isn't.

I'm not actually 100% sure how the wall changes the visuals of the stadium so much anyway. The design of the stadium is such that the 'newer' section sits atop the industrial and traditional design. The basics of that design cue will remain whether that industrial setting is the dock wall or the stadium walls.

I would also argue that in some small way it maintains a wonder of the traditional stadiums in that it appears behind a wall rather than a terraced street.

Indeed, and once in the Plaza it’s a view of the Stadium, Mersey and historic dock wall, and not one of Terry’s timber, the Bramley Moore or cars driving by. It will be very special and a one off for the U.K……..

Wall won’t be going anywhere unless it’s left to decay and become unsafe. And that ain’t happen when there’s 53k people passing through it at least 19 times a season.

The brick-built hydraulic accumulator tower, which provided power to the dock gates and lifting equipment, is still in situ, as is the dock road perimeter wall, both of which are Grade II listed, and should be accommodated in some form in the new plans.
I think everything is on the table at that location. Filling in the dock in the first place was considered sacrilege, but it happened.

Peel have themselves cut sections of wall out for access in the past.

Maybe a compromise at the stadium could be to remove sections of the wall and leave other sections in place.

It's fairly commonplace for sections of wall to be preserved for historical purposes.

Get yerself a drone x

The reason that wall is still there is because of its historical status as being listed. I cant imagine any football club wanting to actively seal off their brand new stadium behind a 4 metre wall.

A virtue has been made out of a necessity. It doesn't look good and it is the very antithesis of inclusivity and throwing our doors open to the wider city.

Can it be commercially exploited? Yes, no doubt it can. But there's something greater lost.

The wall adds alot of character to the area and the stadium tbf. As alot of people have said the club will be making use of it match days and non match days for other events, the plaza will be able to host gigs/festivals on it own nice extra revenue stream for the club.

There will be enough openings/entrances roadside once the build is finished for the site to be accessible and for people to take in the stadium on a non match day, eventually Central/Nelson docks etc will all be developed opening up that side of the stadium aswell.

What you are suggesting though must be to tear the wall down along its entire length in towards town. North as well I suppose to include those coming that way. You can see the stadium for the vast majority of your journey from town towards it as it is, unsurprisingly, significantly taller than the existing wall. Your view is only impacted in any real way if you are stood right next to the wall trying to look at what's on the other side. If you are doing that, you might as well just walk through the gates. Removing the wall would only have an impact on one view, that down Boundary Street, which as it comes in from an elevated position minimises the areas obscured anyway.

Maybe that's why Liverpool fans pushed down that wall.

Anyways, the wall is a small price to pay for having the fantastic stadium in a world class location. I quite like it tbh, even if it represents a historically bad time for the country. Should not be erased.
Off topic, but I hate them getting called [Phrase removed],
Terrified Italian's crushed up against it made it fall,

The wall adds alot of character to the area and the stadium tbf. As alot of people have said the club will be making use of it match days and non match days for other events, the plaza will be able to host gigs/festivals on it own nice extra revenue stream for the club.

There will be enough openings/entrances roadside once the build is finished for the site to be accessible and for people to take in the stadium on a non match day, eventually Central/Nelson docks etc will all be developed opening up that side of the stadium aswell.
I know there's a commercial argument for keeping the plaza closed off by that wall, and it's a sound one.

It's a preference call, I suppose. But I think there's sound reason to proffer the view that closing the plaza off comes at the expense of integration by closing the site off to the districts the stadium will be helping to regenerate.

Walls are by and large defensive and negative. And that dock wall is as ugly as they come, btw.