New Everton Stadium Discussion

Rather than read an Echo link, I'm going to assume there's a big long article recapping the overview that we are building stadium and that our name is Everton and we wear blue, before reading a sentence in the last paragraph saying that we will have a fanzone and that it will change the match-day experience for fans.

How do other stadiums without a wall around it manage their events?

I don't think I'm the only one who'll have gone past the new stadium site and felt a sense of frustration at just how much of it can seen from Regent Road.

And to think that we and the rest of the population won't be able to walk around the stadium on a casual basis as and when we want as we can with Goodiosn now is going to be a real turn off.

I know they are Grade II listed, but I don't see those walls lasting. They are an encumbrance to what should be a civic asset and a tourist destination if people have to have get a ticket just to wander on the concourse.

The point is Dave that we can put on events that other can't because of what we have. I doubt that the gates will be closed on non-matchday.

There are more opportunities open by having it there than if it isn't.

I'm not actually 100% sure how the wall changes the visuals of the stadium so much anyway. The design of the stadium is such that the 'newer' section sits atop the industrial and traditional design. The basics of that design cue will remain whether that industrial setting is the dock wall or the stadium walls.

I would also argue that in some small way it maintains a wonder of the traditional stadiums in that it appears behind a wall rather than a terraced street.

The point is Dave that we can put on events that other can't because of what we have. I doubt that the gates will be closed on non-matchday.

I'm not actually 100% sure how the wall changes the visuals of the stadium so much anyway. The design of the stadium is such that the 'newer' section sits atop the industrial and traditional design. The basics of that design cue will remain whether that industrial setting is the dock wall or the stadium walls.

I would also argue that in some small way it maintains a wonder of the traditional stadiums in that it appears behind a wall rather than a terraced street.

The reason that wall is still there is because of its historical status as being listed. I cant imagine any football club wanting to actively seal off their brand new stadium behind a 4 metre wall.

A virtue has been made out of a necessity. It doesn't look good and it is the very antithesis of inclusivity and throwing our doors open to the wider city.

Can it be commercially exploited? Yes, no doubt it can. But there's something greater lost.

Pretty sure there was a video mentioning the gates will be open and only closed if there is a paid event like a concert.

So people will be able to walk around on non-matchday

And the fan zone can hold concerts and events using a temporary stage with capacity up to 25k making it bigger than the Pier Head/Albert Dock option. Can is not will unless someone more competent than our commercial department is in charge of marketing it and the stadium as events venues.

Interesting point re. capacity. 25,000 maximum for non-match day events such as concerts etc and 10,000-15,000 for match day. I have never bothered going to the fan zone at GP although I have taken a look inside 20 minutes before kick off. Anybody like to hazard a guess at how many that holds? I'm guessing 2,000?

Is there going to be any of that 'loge' seating anywhere that was mooted as a possibilty early on? The big huge lounge chairs with tv screens etc? If so any idea where they will be situated? Or were they knocked on the head?

Is there going to be any of that 'loge' seating anywhere that was mooted as a possibilty early on? The big huge lounge chairs with tv screens etc? If so any idea where they will be situated? Or were they knocked on the head?
Yes, in the West Stand I believe - and I'm pretty sure they're one part of the seasonal premium hospitality packages that have all been sold.

There the ones going for 50k per pair. All sold out.

They will be in this section:

Screenshot_20240523_131436_YouTube.jpg

The reason that wall is still there is because of its historical status as being listed. I cant imagine any football club wanting to actively seal off their brand new stadium behind a 4 metre wall.

A virtue has been made out of a necessity. It doesn't look good and it is the very antithesis of inclusivity and throwing our doors open to the wider city.

Can it be commercially exploited? Yes, no doubt it can. But there's something greater lost.

We could have had a hugely open stadium if we wanted Dave, it would have solved a problem area for the Council as well over at stonebridge Lane, just off the East Lancs...

Just because it's not something you like, it doesn't mean it's bad. It's also not good because I can see some positoves in it. What it is though, is unique. It's an existing feature that I don't think any stadium in world football has.

Have you ever been to the Camp Nou? They have a structure that extends the boundary of the stadium, buts its a chain link fence (at least it was when I went 15+ years ago...) there are other similar control in other places, but none that absolutely anchor the whole development in its surroundings.

It almost maddens me that there are people who bemoan the clubs ability to make good commercial decisions, but then don't agree with them taking advantage of something that is already there. Seems highly contradictory. Unless you want the wall to be replaced with chainlink fences of course.