New Everton Stadium Discussion

It is, and to be honest the interior did stay breeze block, well in some areas it got a coat of paint.

But that's by the by, just look at it without a roof/sections of terrace in places. Our stadium is not much further behind than that was and yet we are talking about another 19 months before we play a competitive match at BM. I understand some of the arguments but if it does get finished autumn 2024 and is just sat there then it's a massive waste.

Believe it or not, I was sorting out some cupboard, and on my table is the programme from the match. 26th June, 1999. KO 5.00PM. I remember the end at the Cardiff RFC end being like it was in your post.

But maybe regs and stuff have moved on in the last 24 years?

That said, I kinda agree. If its ready, gerrin it.

Yeh but when a stadium is finished, it needs several test events done doesn't it.

As @Noggsy blue has said Spurs did all theirs in a week. If they need 9 months to get everything in order to be able to run a stadium then it kind of shows why we are so crocked. No other business probably in the world makes that call.

The stadium might fall behind schedule next year due to unforseen events and people will say the right call has been made, we'll only find out in due course.

Don’t see a problem with it really, can’t think of any teams that have moved mid-season apart from Spurs and that was from Wembley.

I think there will be quite a few events organised there before the first game which will get money in, doubt it will just be sitting empty for months.

The moment they get the stress testing done - and it should be Autumn 2024 - that stadium should be thrown open to fans to tour the stadium etc, never mind them having to wait another 9 months afterward to see Everton playing there.

They have to reward these fans for all the 'kin rubbish they've endured.

Good call to wait and move at the start of a new season. Right decision for the team, the fans, and gives clarity to everyone involved.

Were it a cost free decision it would certainly have some logic underpinning it. Trouble is, that's us waving goodbye to revenue from 13,000 odd new seats and a large reduction in corporate income relative to Goodison and all the while we'll be paying interest on construction costs without any uplift in income.

No way have they made that call without something more substantial underpinning it than a desire to offer fans and the first team squad certainty.

I guess all will become clear in the coming months. Hopefully it is as simple as a construction delay and isn't financing related.

The moment they get the stress testing done - and it should be Autumn 2024 - that stadium should be thrown open to fans to tour the stadium etc, never mind them having to wait another 9 months afterward to see Everton playing there.

They have to reward these fans for all the 'kin rubbish they've endured.

Some context. The Millenium Stadium was referenced earlier. That took a shade over 2 years, (no dock to fill), and reading from the programme from the first match there, on the "Safety is our concern" page, I quote.

"Following 12 months of planning, recruiting, and training stewards, ordering stewards clothing and radios, writing contingency and safety management plans the time has come to put our efforts to the test".

Ergo, as much as I want to be in asap, perhaps it isnt as straight forward as lobbing a bed in your new extension.