New Everton Stadium Discussion

Am I right in thinking the club made many alterations in an attempt to hold on the world heritage status? Such as the height of the stadium.

Wonder if we could scrap these and go back to original.

Am I right in thinking the club made many alterations in an attempt to hold on the world heritage status? Such as the height of the stadium.

Wonder if we could scrap these and go back to original.

The height of the stadium only reduced 2 meters, from 54m to 52m. It was more to do with making the angled trusses all the same size to reduce costs and also to reduce the gap between the curved metal top and the brick base, so they are more in harmony with each other.

Was the capacity/overall size a factor for UNESCO? Original 60k capacity looked so much better!

Don’t like to moan too much tho….love the design of stadium still

And they will continue using it until the ground receives a name.
No. The site might be called that by some for now, but the stadium is a different matter. There'll be no more imprecision over that. You're not factoring in recent developments or the obvious fact that selling naming rights isn't helped by the club in the prior period adopting that name for it.

Was the capacity/overall size a factor for UNESCO? Original 60k capacity looked so much better!

The capacity was always 52,888. The main changes to the original design were removing the riverside multistory car park, making the west side base dimensionally similar to the east side, adding the stepped plaza with the diagonal walls to the west side, and replacing the large wind baffles with trees.
I think UNESCO would have objected to any type or size of stadium built on that site.

The original 60k stadium was basically for if we had been awarded the commonwealth games (although it would only hold approx 40k for athletics). This was in an east-west configuration. As soon as that bid failed everything stalled for quite a long time, with various consultation phases while they made their mind up what to do.

Despite the majority of fans preferring the larger capacity, 60k was dropped and the smaller plan B north-south option was promoted (eventually having the roof lowered slightly). The games would've come with a lot of additional funding. As soon as that disappeared, so did the Vauxhall station and things were scaled back. At the second round of consultation when the lower capacity was questioned, the club even hinted that after people-movement modelling, it was shown that the site was even tight at 53k capacity. When the obvious follow up question of how would we ever expand to 60k+ (as promised), they simply said..... it should stretch to that.

In otherwords, the constraints were not so much due to UNESCO than they were the club's assessment of the size of the fanbase and the overall costs to satisfy that demand. Stadium Costs rise exponentially with capacity and ticket prices can fall quite sharply with excess capacity. They estimated that sweetspot to be less than 53k.

The original 60k stadium was basically for if we had been awarded the commonwealth games (although it would only hold approx 40k for athletics). This was in an east-west configuration.

Have you got any documentation to back up the east to west layout on the site for the games?

The image I saw was broadly similar to what we have now but the South stand was open and part of the track was on a raised platform above Nelson Dock.

Have you got any documentation to back up the east to west layout on the site for the games?

The image I saw was broadly similar to what we have now but the South stand was open and part of the track was on a raised platform above Nelson Dock.
There was a diagram posted in this thread a while ago which did indeed suggest that orientation change. I’ll see if I can find it…

It was posted a few pages ago..... it is impossible to fit an athletics track in the north-south without the stadium going into the neighbouring dock....

Could find the post @The binman chronicles - but I found the image elsewhere:

1634369757334.jpeg

I’m assuming the image is in the standard north-south orientation, anyway, it looks that way. So that would make the stadium East-West.

Could find the post @The binman chronicles - but I found the image elsewhere:

View attachment 142754
I’m assuming the image is in the standard north-south orientation, anyway, it looks that way. So that would make the stadium East-West.

The Echo also covered the differences between the proposals. A former colleague of mine did the outline structural assessment of both options.

No. The site might be called that by some for now, but the stadium is a different matter. There'll be no more imprecision over that. You're not factoring in recent developments or the obvious fact that selling naming rights isn't helped by the club in the prior period adopting that name for it.

They're not adopting the name my son, it is the name (until is is remamed). That's the point you seem blinded to.
Potential sponsors won't be bothered about a dock that was named before Everton were even formed.
God bless.