New Everton Stadium Discussion

Given the times we are living in and the way in which statues and monuments are being removed, I think you're right Dave. I think we will shy away from using the BMD name officially but I suspect it will still be used by fans regardless of the fact that we will probably end up in the USM Stadium.

Just a couple of issues that would still need to be resolved; firstly do we cover up the part of the dock wall which bears his name? Always thought it would make a pretty cool tee-shirt, by the way.

Another thing to consider (although this is nothing to do with EFC) is the name of the pub. Should they change their name?
IMO that has to be obliterated. Part of the wall has already gone anyway.

But the longer we all still refer to this as the BMD we'll struggle to properly own the space in a psychic as well as a physical way.

The Yanks on here like @LinekersLegs and @RAFUH etc will appreciate the situation more than perhaps many over here will. They live in a land where the struggle over memory is more pointed in relation to public spaces.

Seriously Dave, dont worry your head about this, its all out of yours and our control, Everton have this, we cant go around completely erasing all history or how will we ever learn? Its a dock and Everton are building on it and when the new stadium is named then i am sure it will be covered off and we are incorporating a reference to its history and trying to move on from it but its just a name!

what goes on inside that Stadium should be our only concern, let the powers that be cogitate and agitate over its History!

BRAMLY MOORE DOCK, Whats our Name?

and if you know your history and all that...............
Well, I think you underestimate the significance and power of names.

Good and bad!

There's nothing good to be said about him.

The club will be dropping that name like a hot potato from now on. Journalists might lazily use the name of that former dock, the club wont. I agree with that. It should be erased from history.

From the official website barely a week ago my son, they don't seem too arsed.
God bless.

WATCH: AERIAL TOUR OF NEW STADIUM SITE​

By Everton

The scale of Everton’s new 52,888-capacity stadium at Bramley-Moore Dock is now more visible following a programme of demolition works.
With the infilling of the dock commencing, work on demolishing all the non-listed buildings, including delipidated warehouses, has also been completed.
WATCH AN AERIAL TOUR OF OUR NEW STADIUM SITE AND LEARN MORE ABOUT THE LATEST DEVELOPMENTS AT BRAMLEY-MOORE DOCK BY CLICKING ON THE VIDEO BELOW

IMO that has to be obliterated. Part of the wall has already gone anyway.

But the longer we all still refer to this as the BMD we'll struggle to properly own the space in a psychic as well as a physical way.

The Yanks on here like @LinekersLegs and @RAFUH etc will appreciate the situation more than perhaps many over here will. They live in a land where the struggle over memory is more pointed in relation to public spaces.

Might be that that part of the wall where the name is will be exactly where they are knocking it down? Don't think it should be destroyed. Move it to the slavery museum maybe?

Personally, I think the better option in these matters is to leave the statue, name of street etc and put something there which explains who the person was and what they were involved in. I think that educates people far more in the long run. I had no idea of Bramley-Moore's involvement in the slave trade until it was mentioned a few months ago. Doesn't make sense to just airbrush things from history. That's not the Everton FC way.

James Goodison was a slave owner, what do we do now?

So was Abraham Lincoln.

In debate with abolitionists at Charleston, Illinois, on September 18, 1858, Lincoln made his position clear. “I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and Black races,” he began, going on to say that he opposed Black people having the right to vote, to serve on juries, to hold office and to intermarry with whites".

However, I agree that we need a new name for the site that is in keeping with Everton's proud record - for me, hard to go past the William Ralph Dean Stadium - he hated being called "Dixie".

Can we get back to dredging?

I'd rather not see this thread go south again because someone is indignant about the name of the place being the name of the place.

Everton plan to address history, and the stadium won't carry his name. The end, let's move on.
But someone said for years it wasn't going to happen, now that it is happening they are just trying to change the conversation hoping no-one will remember the dross they spouted. before.