New Everton Stadium Discussion

Going to have to disagree here....
History should never be erased....
History is there to be learned from so that we can avoid mistakes of the past and become better as a society
You can't just pick and choose the nice bits because something was horrible or offensive....
That's the line of thinking that leads to the type of idiots that deny the Holocaust happened....
It's not going to be forgotten. There will be 'memory work' done; acknowledgement at the site in the form of a commemoration at the visitor centre.

With your logic we should have seen Stalingrad retained as a city name in honour of a dictator who killed millions.

"Holocaust denial". FFS.

Can we get back to dredging?

I'd rather not see this thread go south again because someone is indignant about the name of the place being the name of the place.

Everton plan to address history, and the stadium won't carry his name. The end, let's move on.
How is the naming of the stadium not of relevancy? How is the club's desire to address it veering off topic?

Which is what I said, the club will no doubt sign legal agreements to refer to it only by it’s ‘paid for’ name.

Disagree with you over ‘erasing history’, but that’s a conversation for another day / thread.
Where did I say erase history?!

I said the slaver's name should be erased from that site, not the memory of his actions.

History is there to be learned from so that we can avoid mistakes of the past and become better as a society
You can't just pick and choose the nice bits because something was horrible or offensive....
That's the line of thinking that leads to the type of idiots that deny the Holocaust happened....

thats exactly what happens though

If you don't have history you can't change the future, but things are going to far now, shall we stop dealing with Italy and Norway because them Romans and vikings were nasty people?

How is the naming of the stadium not of relevancy? How is the club's desire to address it veering off topic?
It's more that you decided to derail a largely a positive thread, all for that regular dose of righteous indignation.

It got really nasty when this topic was last raised in here - when honestly, I don't think there's much controversy. Slavery was bad, slavers were bad, and we shouldn't name the stadium after one. Anyone who argues against that is an utter moron - and no one is here.

So I agree with your stance, but the club have explained what they plan to do. Let it go, or start a thread on this topic if you want to sit in that kind of poisonous vortex.

It's literally The Everton Stadium.

It's not a dock anymore.

The club are concerned on two fronts:

1/ to get away from the infamy of that name. Clubs are very anxious to distance themselves from controversy...especially something as sinister as slavery.

2/ they dont want everyone calling it the Bramley Moore Dock stadium as they have a commercial partner to find to pay for naming rights to the site, and they dont want that overhang.

Given the times we are living in and the way in which statues and monuments are being removed, I think you're right Dave. I think we will shy away from using the BMD name officially but I suspect it will still be used by fans regardless of the fact that we will probably end up in the USM Stadium.

Just a couple of issues that would still need to be resolved; firstly do we cover up the part of the dock wall which bears his name? Always thought it would make a pretty cool tee-shirt, by the way.

Another thing to consider (although this is nothing to do with EFC) is the name of the pub. Should they change their name?

It's literally The Everton Stadium.

It's not a dock anymore.

The club are concerned on two fronts:

1/ to get away from the infamy of that name. Clubs are very anxious to distance themselves from controversy...especially something as sinister as slavery.

2/ they dont want everyone calling it the Bramley Moore Dock stadium as they have a commercial partner to find to pay for naming rights to the site, and they dont want that overhang.
The location, the design, the name, it'll never happen, ThE cArPeTbAgGeR, go and get a brass or something lad and let off some of that pent up negative energy