New Everton Stadium Discussion

I do not on agree with most of the things you say but i agree with you on this.When i go up the steps to the upper Gwaldys i look around and see , people with flat caps , smoking pipes , and when i sit my seat i see Dean head his sixteth goal against Arsenal [ that is priceless ]
iirc, they didn't build it until 1938ish...just sayin like

Last edited:
Goodison Park is rubbish, let's be honest, but we all love it cus we love Everton. But what's good about thousands of obstructed views due to pillars, thousands more obstructed views in the rear rows of Lower Gwladys and Lower Bullens due to the upper stands, abysmal queues for terrible quality refreshments at the break, rank, filthy toilets again with huge queues, and having no decent transportation links to get to the ground? All in all, all Goodison offers is the fact that it, many moons ago, was one of the best stadia in the country, and literally generations ago saw us actually compete to win things, all of which are now distant memories.

We've needed an upgrade for decades and finally we're getting one. Looks like it'll be boss so won't find me complaining!

Bit unfair and disingenuous to only mention the views at the back of the lower tiers of the old double deckers without mentioning the excellent views upstairs, which in reality will not be bettered at BMD. It is also perhaps worth considering that for far less spend, these upper tiers could be replaced with new larger ones and all obstructed views removed. All at the site of the world's first purpose built stadium. As far as transport is concerned GP has one of the fastest dispersal rates in the UK according to the football research unit, with far more public transport capacity and road routes serving it in all directions than BMD. So while there is a lot to be said for BMD and the obvious improvement it will let's at least remain factual and objective about our assessment of GP, and more importantly what the historic GP could be with just £100-200m investment.

Bit unfair and disingenuous to only mention the views at the back of the lower tiers of the old double deckers without mentioning the excellent views upstairs, which in reality will not be bettered at BMD. It is also perhaps worth considering that for far less spend, these upper tiers could be replaced with new larger ones and all obstructed views removed. All at the site of the world's first purpose built stadium. As far as transport is concerned GP has one of the fastest dispersal rates in the UK according to the football research unit, with far more public transport capacity and road routes serving it in all directions than BMD. So while there is a lot to be said for BMD and the obvious improvement it will let's at least remain factual and objective about our assessment of GP, and more importantly what the historic GP could be with just £100-200m investment.
Your pointt about sight lines and Upper Bullens are all true. However, £100-£200m probably wouldn’t do much at GP. Modifying existing structures is always far far more costly and difficult than anyone realises. They would probably all have to be modified to comply with modern standards. GP would need a huge amount of work.

Your pointt about sight lines and Upper Bullens are all true. However, £100-£200m probably wouldn’t do much at GP. Modifying existing structures is always far far more costly and difficult than anyone realises. They would probably all have to be modified to comply with modern standards. GP would need a huge amount of work.

It is not juist a question of the stands but all the inside stuff, tiolest, drinks bar, the whole concrete structure let's be honest is depressing.

Liverpool added 2 new tiers at the back of their 1906 mainstand for a construction cost of just £74m adding nearly 9000 seats and a whole corporate tier. They are about to do something similar at the Anfield Rd end adding another 7-8000 for less.

This they had to do over 7-8 floors. The much lower raked lower Bullens wouldn't need anything like that volume of construction. Clearing 16-20 houses on Muriel and Diana Streets would probably be enough for right of light requirements.... so I think you can get an awful lot for that.... especially when you're only having build 15-20k new seats to pass BMDs capacity. Cost is precisely why most large clubs have favoured redevelopment were possible.

Dont forget, we're spending £100m just to prep BMD. Liverpool completely transformed their very old stand for less than that!

Serious question for a moment: the dock is being filled with sand, where is this coming from? Do we have wagons coming in constantly tipping out tonnes of sand to pump in? Is it being floated in on barges or pumped up from the river bed nearby?
Pumped into the Dock as a slurry then excess water allowed to filter out then dry naturally. Then slowly but surely when dry enough the compacting begins together with levelling out. Before you know it the final surface work begins.

Liverpool added 2 new tiers at the back of their 1906 mainstand for a construction cost of just £74m adding nearly 9000 seats and a whole corporate tier. They are about to do something similar at the Anfield Rd end adding another 7-8000 for less.

This they had to do over 7-8 floors. The much lower raked lower Bullens wouldn't need anything like that volume of construction. Clearing 16-20 houses on Muriel and Diana Streets would probably be enough for right of light requirements.... so I think you can get an awful lot for that.... especially when you're only having build 15-20k new seats to pass BMDs capacity. Cost is precisely why most large clubs have favoured redevelopment were possible.

Dont forget, we're spending £100m just to prep BMD. Liverpool completely transformed their very old stand for less than that!

By not adding in the true cost (+ land) you make it sound cheaper than it was. It was 114m and hadn't they already cleared the houses by that point? So that would have been another x million.

Now add on inflation and your talking a fair chunk of the BMD money.

By not adding in the true cost (+ land) you make it sound cheaper than it was. It was 114m and hadn't they already cleared the houses by that point? So that would have been another x million.

Now add on inflation and your talking a fair chunk of the BMD money.

I only included their construction costs because that's all that really applies to us as we don't have anything like the number of houses to clear, and furthermore is already far in excess, because the lower Bullens is much smaller than their mainstand and their
new stand is essentially an addition of 2 new tiers including more boxes and lounge space than we'll have at BMD in its entirety.

Or I could've easily just quoted the costs for similar extensions at Cardiff or Sunderland or Newcastle., or any number of others... which were
significantly cheaper..... or indeed the new Anfield Rd, (which I did mention(.

Tbh.... I could've extrapolated further and said we could've had 60k+ at GP for £150-250m dependent on where capacity was added etc.

I only included their construction costs because that's all that really applies to us as we don't have anything like the number of houses to clear, and furthermore is already far in excess, because the lower Bullens is much smaller than their mainstand and their
new stand is essentially an addition of 2 new tiers including more boxes and lounge space than we'll have at BMD in its entirety.

Or I could've easily just quoted the costs for similar extensions at Cardiff or Sunderland or Newcastle., or any number of others... which were
significantly cheaper..... or indeed the new Anfield Rd, (which I did mention(.

Tbh.... I could've extrapolated further and said we could've had 60k+ at GP for £150-250m dependent on where capacity was added etc.

You can only go by the ones recently completed. The Cardiff City stadium extension was a meccano job, it was more or less built in mind, adding to the existing hundred year old structures of Goodison is something else. It would be cheaper to knock it down and start again.

The new Anfield Road end is costing 60 million for an extra 7000 seats and City's end was 60m for 6000. Both had the land already. If it was purely down to money we would go and build a Cardiff/Sunderland type stadium on a brownfield site. How much would the council want for just the school for starters?