New Everton Stadium Discussion

Can the club even try change designs now its in for PP?

I hope we keep to the design and the stadium is boss.

Something tells me the designs have worked out a wee bit too expensive...

I'm pretty sure the Meis design will be used. Just a different architect for the build.Similar to what happened at Cincinnati.

FC Cincinnati has selected a new architecture firm to work on the construction phase of its $250 million West End stadium.

Kansas City-based Populous, which is one of the largest firms in the nation and a top sports architecture firm, has been selected for this next phase of work. Meis Architects had created the stadium design.

My guess is this. He’s been asked to compromise his design due to ‘value engineering’ he said no. They had a big barney. He removed his design from his header as that’s not what Everton now want to build.

This is not based on anything other that what I just thought might have happened, so just as likely a scenario as everything else on this thread.

Richard Keys on Bein saying the stadium architect walked out and it’s ‘never going to get built’. Not that that means anything as he’s an absolute tool.

Architects are primarily judged on the aesthetics of a building, as well as the functionality, and there may have been a difference of opinion and/or vision on how the stadium was to be built. Perhaps the coronavirus has forced the club to cut costs somewhere. In any case it's quite frequent for the architect to fall out with the client/and or main contractor.

The architect still has an important role to play in the project until completion. A large part of the design work will have been done already but it's very common for projects to commence before the full design has been completed. The architects will have a team of people looking at the technicalities and coordinating designs with the main contractor and subcontractors later down the line.

It could be that Meis were only down to do the concept design and another architect has been appointed for the actual build.

Personally I think he should be keeping his mouth shut out of respect to the client and the project. I think he's shown a lack of professionalism by putting this personal thoughts on the project on social media. My company (a developer) would be fuming with the architect if they did similar, and rightly so.

His recent twitter behaviour is really unprofessional.

Definitely this

If it wasn't such a childish thing to do, Everton should put a tweet out saying:

"If we have learned anything from this year it is that if someone is going to post snarky, thinly veiled tweets about professionalism after their part in a project is done, then we probably shouldn’t have been in business with them to begin with...."

He's acted really unprofessionally here, because he knows he has the ear of the fans. He will have been paid tremendously for this project, which I think looks decent, but not remarkable.

Maybe Everton have really hamstrung him in his attempts and have restricted his vision. Maybe Everton are tired about all the grandstanding, about it all being about him. Who knows.

But he should definitely keep his comments to himself until everything is settled.

Architects are primarily judged on the aesthetics of a building, as well as the functionality, and there may have been a difference of opinion and/or vision on how the stadium was to be built. Perhaps the coronavirus has forced the club to cut costs somewhere. In any case it's quite frequent for the architect to fall out with the client/and or main contractor.

The architect still has an important role to play in the project until completion. A large part of the design work will have been done already but it's very common for projects to commence before the full design has been completed. The architects will have a team of people looking at the technicalities and coordinating designs with the main contractor and subcontractors later down the line.

It could be that Meis were only down to do the concept design and another architect has been appointed for the actual build.

Personally I think he should be keeping his mouth shut out of respect to the client and the project. I think he's shown a lack of professionalism by putting this personal thoughts on the project on social media. My company (a developer) would be fuming with the architect if they did similar, and rightly so.
I'm surprised that he said he will make a comment in the future. Surely, he will have signed an NDA that prohibits him making comment.

Changing the Architect at this stage is basically sacking him though, so I can understand him being peeved.... And any new architect now will have different views on the design, otherwise no point making the change.....i think we'll have a much different stadium now

dc7594d2a19197f9b3748f195f2fb65e

It’s not the best of news tho is it

Why? Echo article explains that Pattern have been working with Meis and took on the full project at the agreed time because of their greater knowledge of British building regs and relationship with the constructor. No reason to think that isn’t true and perfectly normal. We should be indebted to Meis for a brilliant design, but to deliver this scale project you have to have the right people involved at the right time. When the club are too soft people moan and then when they show a bit of business acumen... people moan! Why would we carry what would be his significant costs as a consultant if it is not needed.

Poor form from Meis in my opinion. Why bother posting anything at all, if you not willing to say it how it is rather than “I’ll tell you one day” - playing the victim.