New Everton Stadium Discussion

Everton's new stadium can 'unlock economic potential' after crisis | Everton

The architect’s impression of how Everton’s new home at Bramley-Moore dock will eventually look

The architect’s impression of how Everton’s new home at Bramley-Moore dock will eventually look. Photograph: Everton FC

Building Everton’s new stadium later this year will help boost economic confidence and unlock potential in the wake of the inevitable slowdown because of the coronavirus crisis, according to Henri Murison, director of the Northern Powerhouse Partnership. He believes the “mega-project” will be important in boosting the region’s short- and long-term prospects.

Liverpool city council’s public consultation period on the planning permission for a new ground at Bramley-Moore Dock ends on Friday and it is understood Everton do not expect any additional delay caused by coronavirus working conditions in terms of a summer determination, which could lead to work starting in the final quarter of 2020. It is also understood that the constructors, Laing O’Rourke, do not currently foresee any issues in terms of labour from September onwards.

“The confidence point is really important,” Murison said. “Clearly the priority in the coming weeks is protecting people’s health but you will have seen what the chancellor said about how we keep the economy going and there are significant projects like the stadium in north Liverpool which will make a big difference to the economy, not just in Liverpool but the wider north. Investments like this will unlock real economic potential.

“If we can control the virus while keeping the economy going then yes, government investment will keep us going in the next few months but there is absolutely a role for mega-projects like this. The economic value of this development is significant in the construction phase but the economic value it will generate all through the year, not just when football is being played, is the reason why it is so important.”

Liverpool’s mayor, Joe Anderson, told the All Together Now podcast he did not believe the 500million 52,000-seater project would be delayed by the coronavirus pandemic. “The shovel in the ground isn’t going to happen for, at least, a couple of months, we may well be over a period where that’s likely to happen,” he said. “And of course, a lot of people working in construction have less than people who work indoors. It’s a difficult one to judge but I would probably say I can’t see it having any delay at all, Covid-19 or Brexit.”
While the stadium planning seems unlikely to be knocked off course, Everton have had to suspend their community programmes.

However, they are still reaching out to the most vulnerable members of their fanbase.
season-ticket holders, based on age, disability and other information the club hold, have received phonecalls checking on their wellbeing and any specific requests such as shopping needs. There has also been closer contact maintained, via telephone and WhatsApp, with those people involved in Everton in the Community’s programmes dealing with acute social issues, mental health and youth engagement.

This is going to absolutely stroll through planning permission at the moment
Agreed, the economy about to collapse onto it's knees as it will worldwide.
The prospect of a half billion project starting up in Liverpool would be an absolute tonic for the economy of the North West.

I would almost fear for the safety of anybody who might object.

The prospect of a half billion project starting up in Liverpool would be an absolute tonic for the economy of the North West.

Will it be a £500m project though, with the way economy will be I can’t see it costing the same amount as before. I have no idea if the fallout means it will cost more or less.

Just think of the small ships from Wales though.