New Everton Stadium Discussion

Where are all these extra fans coming from? Our average for the last ten years is 36,500. Our best averages ever were in 62/3 51,460 and 69/70 49,531 both times we won the league and standing was normal and cost much cheaper. Would love 60k but I can't see us increasing by 20k to fill it no matter how good we become.

West Ham's record attendance was 42K, and never averaged over 35K ever. They now get 56K. Where did all these extra fans come from?

Sunderland were getting around 15K-17K at Roker Park from 1982 to 1995, except for one season where they got 22K in the top flight. in 2001 they were getting 46K. Where did their extra fans come from?

We're Everton as well, not West Ham or Sunderland.

Disagree Finners.

Fans are rightly passionate and should right to voice their opinion without being sneered at;

Keep seeing people sneer/brush off Evertonians as being audacious/cheeky to actually question an 'expert' - what nonsense.

On capacity he's regularly dangled a carrot of 60,000+

DY60ipxX4AAHfqL.jpg

But now, we have Everton with their 99% of fans want a capacity of over 50,000 line followed by Meis downplaying capacity, and about him knowing what size is right for Everton (shouldn't that be dictated to him?!), with him accusing fans of having 'size envy' and pointing to West Ham who inherited a stadium.

The fanbase can't afford to be placid because of the novelty of having someone at the club engage with them on twitter, or because they want access to him for interview.

Urgh...

If you could post that to him on Twitter that would be spot on.

Where are all these extra fans coming from? Our average for the last ten years is 36,500. Our best averages ever were in 62/3 51,460 and 69/70 49,531 both times we won the league and standing was normal and cost much cheaper. Would love 60k but I can't see us increasing by 20k to fill it no matter how good we become.

If you know your history......

An occasional reminder of this gem from @catcherintherye

https://www.grandoldteam.com/2016/10/26/fan-view-new-stadium-size/

Disagree Finners.

Fans are rightly passionate and should right to voice their opinion without being sneered at;

Keep seeing people sneer/brush off Evertonians as being audacious/cheeky to actually question an 'expert' - what nonsense.

DY60ipxX4AAHfqL.jpg

But now, we have Everton with their 99% of fans want a capacity of over 50,000 line followed by Meis downplaying capacity, and about him knowing what size is right for Everton (shouldn't that be dictated to him?!), with him accusing fans of having 'size envy' and pointing to West Ham who inherited a stadium.

The fanbase can't afford to be placid because of the novelty of having someone at the club engage with them on twitter, or because they want access to him for interview.

Urgh...

Couldn't agree more with this. EXACTLY what I think is happening.

Disagree Finners.

DY60ipxX4AAHfqL.jpg

Urgh...

Spot on.

The fellers got a brass neck on him.

At the end of the day, if the club come out and say we couldn't make the numbers work to build a 60k stadium as 50-55k was already touch and go I feel people would accept that and move on.

But they should be pushing for the largest figure possible, not worrying if they can fill it. The owner of MK Dons built a stadium nearly 3 times the size of what they would normally get. This is off the back of zero historical evidence they could fill it. Now that stadium gets banded about come bidding for tournaments etc. Are we really that unambitious that a League 1 club thinks bigger? We are talking about 50% increase than what we currently have and we have in the past had 100% larger attendances. Hardly the same is it...

Disagree Finners.

DY60ipxX4AAHfqL.jpg

Urgh...

He's been slapped down by our board and told to work on managing fans expectations.

At the end of the day, if the club come out and say we couldn't make the numbers work to build a 60k stadium as 50-55k was already touch and go I feel people would accept that and move on.

But they should be pushing for the largest figure possible, not worrying if they can fill it. The owner of MK Dons built a stadium nearly 3 times the size of what they would normally get. This is off the back of zero historical evidence they could fill it. Now that stadium gets banded about come bidding for tournaments etc. Are we really that unambitious that a League 1 club thinks bigger? We are talking about 50% increase than what we currently have and we have in the past had 100% larger attendances. Hardly the same is it...

They're getting average 9k attendances in a c30k stadium with their highest attendance this year at 14k. There's being ambitious (which I think you should be and which I think c60k would represent), and there's being hopelessly optimistic. lol I don't know what the atmosphere is like for MK games but can't imagine it's great.

If there were no financial or geographical constraints I'd say you push for just a a few thousand bigger than what you think your average attendance will be. That would represent real ambition without leaving empty seats too often.