New Everton Stadium Discussion

It's not an either/or question, I don't think. It would be entirely possible to have a rectangular interior (which is what Meis has indicated) encased in an oval outer shell.

I would be in favour of this - I just fear Meis may get stuck in that nostalgia that seems to engulf our club - the sort that loves BK because he sat in the boys pen, wanting Unsworth as manager because he loves the club/Arteta as he once played for us. Rooneys return etc etc. I just want to see us pioneer and design something completely inspiring and modern - not a retro old school stadium to go with the BMD historic look/feel.

I don't see how a stadium that's three quarters the way to Bootle through a mainly derelict area that's going to take, in the developers words 30 to 50 years to complete is going to have a variety of businesses flocking there because of a stadium that will be used, at the most, 40/50 days per year in the winter months. It's too far from the city centre to ever be an evening destination.
As to your last sentence
Ever hear of a light rail system

Something like the new San Mamés in Bilbao would be ideal.
3028.jpg

450px-San_Mames%2C_Bilbao%2C_Euskal_Herria_-_Basque_Country.jpg

Something like that would be amazing.

As to your last sentence
Ever hear of a light rail system
Yes I have mate, but the authorities destroyed the last one we had (overhead railway) and refused to fund a tram system for the city, so I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for a light rail system getting the go ahead any time soon.

I think you are thinking 4 sided and visualising an 125 year old Goodison Park. There is no reason you can't do a modern, unique, stunning looking 4 sided Goodison that will look amazing.
If Meis and or whoever wants something that is 'unique' to this day and age of new stadia development then it has to be a 4-sided interior as oval or rounded and soul less bowls are currently flavour of the month but will be deemed old hat in another ten years. Retro is the way forward - like fashions, what goes around comes around and probably makes it easier to redevelop if additions were ever needed.

But, of course, if listening to all the naysayers it isn't going to happen anyway so it's all hypothesis. It's just nice to dream!

If Meis and or whoever wants something that is 'unique' to this day and age of new stadia development then it has to be a 4-sided interior as oval or rounded and soul less bowls are currently flavour of the month but will be deemed old hat in another ten years. Retro is the way forward - like fashions, what goes around comes around and probably makes it easier to redevelop if additions were ever needed.

But, of course, if listening to all the naysayers it isn't going to happen anyway so it's all hypothesis. It's just nice to dream!
I think that is a given. Hopefully anyway.
However, my point is that there must be a way to design a contemporary, unique 4 sided exterior that will wow the Docks.

I don't see how a stadium that's three quarters the way to Bootle through a mainly derelict area that's going to take, in the developers words 30 to 50 years to complete is going to have a variety of businesses flocking there because of a stadium that will be used, at the most, 40/50 days per year in the winter months. It's too far from the city centre to ever be an evening destination.
You make it sound like it's never been done before.

I would be in favour of this - I just fear Meis may get stuck in that nostalgia that seems to engulf our club - the sort that loves BK because he sat in the boys pen, wanting Unsworth as manager because he loves the club/Arteta as he once played for us. Rooneys return etc etc. I just want to see us pioneer and design something completely inspiring and modern - not a retro old school stadium to go with the BMD historic look/feel.
Don't want to sound pedantic, but I'm about Bill's age and I can tell you that there were no seats in the boys pen. The only reason I mention it is because I've been reading that quoted here for years.

Don't want to sound pedantic, but I'm about Bill's age and I can tell you that there were no seats in the boys pen. The only reason I mention it is because I've been reading that quoted here for years.
Before they put the wire mesh up at the top in the mid 60’s, loads,of us used to climb over into Gwladys St. you had to make sure the copper was at the other end of the pen when you made your bid for freedom though.

The boys pen was a savage place and a kid like Bill would not have lasted 5 minutes in there in my opinion.

Before they put the wire mesh up at the top in the mid 60’s, loads,of us used to climb over into Gwladys St. you had to make sure the copper was at the other end of the pen when you made your bid for freedom though.

The boys pen was a savage place and a kid like Bill would not have lasted 5 minutes in there in my opinion.
Absolutely right mate, just looking at it used to terrify me, they were like a pack of wild animals. Just couldn't see Blue Bill in there!