New Everton Stadium Discussion

This is my only concern at the moment (although esk has argued it will be higher than 50k). We should build for the future with a larger capacity not limit ourselves based on perceived current demand. It's about ambition as well, if we want to be the best club in the city, NW, country etc. then we need to at least think we deserve a bigger stadium than others.

My sentiments exactly.

If our new ground is to have a capacity of just 50,000 it will only be the tenth biggest stadium in the league by the time construction is completed.

I completely concur. Building a new stadium that's smaller than Newcastle United's current stadium would leave us looking seriously small-time.
I'd be disappointed more to be leaving Goodison for a 50k stadium personally. Taking into account how many more corporate seats it will have compared to Goodison, then that doesn't leave many more for the fans.
Minimum should be 55k. 60k for me though...let's be ambitious.

I'd be disappointed more to be leaving Goodison for a 50k stadium personally. Taking into account how many more corporate seats it will have compared to Goodison, then that doesn't leave many more for the fans.
Minimum should be 55k. 60k for me though...let's be ambitious.

Excellent point. I hadn't thought of that.

I would just build the 60,000 and save myself the expense and bother of adding an extra five or ten thousand on some time in the future.

Definitely. When it was discovered that the new Park End (now the Sir Philip Carter Park Stand) was only going to hold 5,000 people and Evertonians voiced their displeasure about that fact, the board asserted that a second tier could be added in the future.

23 years later, the Park End is still minuscule.

We've only bought a bit of land, imagine how much flapping we'll get when the design comes out and planning permission is approved.

They will be hysterical when it's revealed that our new stadium will have the same capacity as Tottenham's new stadium, and will thus be bigger than Anfield.

We've only bought a bit of land, imagine how much flapping we'll get when the design comes out and planning permission is approved.

They will be hysterical when it's revealed that our new stadium will have the same capacity as Tottenham's new stadium, and will thus be bigger than Anfield.

I would be very interested in seeing a breakdown of the total costs of Spurs stadium, and how much of it is accounted for with architectural niceties and features as far as design/construction goes.

In addition, it would be very interesting to see what they projected the cost would be before construction started, vs. what it has turned out to be in reality.

When the consultation process gets underway, I think its crucial that we build to accommodate 60k and that funding is in place to secure a build to that size. We have to achieve a sizeable increase in capacity for regular fans, as well as match-day visitors, and a course, corporate and premium seating also has to expand significantly, very much so, on GP.

I am very confident that Meis will design a stadium that is eye-catching and different just so long as it is big enough from day one as I really do feel we should not start life at Bramley Moore with a moderate-capacity stadium. This is a once in a lifetime thing for all of us, probably once in two lifetimes.

I know nothing about costings, but I imagine things will run to well north of 400m. As long as we get capacity right, and have something enclosed and imtimidating on the pitch, with a reasonable level on services and facilities, Meis will take care of the rest. We have to maximise $$$ from the new stadium right from the off.