New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s weird this, just like 18 months ago there no front runner, no one has a clue and it’s the same recycled names used over again. The media are firing anyone who managed in the pl era as candidates.
Potter a good shout but the worry is can the squad play his style?
Lillie guy sounds amazing but can he do it outside of France

There the 2 most likely for me

I'll be honest, I would absolutely love it if we appointed Martinez. First of all, the fume levels would be so peak, that it may actually break enough peoples spirits that it acts like a giant reset. Like a good thunder storm followed by a massive down pour when it just gets too hot and muggy.

It would be a huge gamble from the board, that they decide to back a man who was hated so much, unfairly in my opinion, but it would also be them admitting they were wrong and perhaps a little bit hasty, which is a gutsy move.

I always believed Roberto had our best interests at heart, but he was stubborn and didn't learn his lessons. A lot of what he talked about and what he wanted to do was in my opinion the correct approach, but we just didn't have the capacity, neither in the squad nor the funding to do what needed to be done.

His ideas about creating and implementing a strategy of developing youth teams and a genuine sustainable chain from the youngest sides to the 1st team was admirable, but was scrapped almost as soon as it had begun by appointing Koeman. I believe it was Martinez who brought the youngsters together with the 1st team squad at Finch farm, and his ideas for the expansions at finch farm and other technical details I'd read about at the time would only have been good for the club. He embraced the history and reached out to former players and managers to try and create something bigger, but at the time, his ideas where perhaps a bit too ambitious and he ultimately paid the price.

If, and its a big if, he has learned from his mistakes, as all good coaches should, and he had the foresight to appoint a capable defensive coach to work on drills that he perhaps neglected 1st time round, and if he can work harmoniously with Brands in building a squad and developing the culture that runs though the age groups as was his initial plan, then I would have no qualms about it.

He always struck me as an affable, likeable man who's biggest flaw appeared to be a relentless positivity that got under the skin of a largely negative and cynical fan base that has seen too many heartbreaks and let downs and didn't believe he was genuine. I believe he was. I believe he genuinely believed what he said, but just had a positive outlook and tried to see the best in every situation, something that is increasingly difficult to do in this day and age.

There is no denying that at its best, the times under Martinez were far and away the most enjoyable times we've had at Everton for some time. At its worst, it was excruciating, there's no denying it. But I always thought what we needed were tweaks rather than a full 180 that Koeman arrogantly and lazily tried to implement, and we've felt the consequences ever since.

With the correct backing, and the right players, and like I say, a little wisdom gained through experience, and a bit of patience at our end, I genuinely believe we could achieve something long lasting here.

Unfortunately, unless the aforementioned storm happened, I don't think we have the collective patience to let it.

I'll be honest, I would absolutely love it if we appointed Martinez. First of all, the fume levels would be so peak, that it may actually break enough peoples spirits that it acts like a giant reset. Like a good thunder storm followed by a massive down pour when it just gets too hot and muggy.

It would be a huge gamble from the board, that they decide to back a man who was hated so much, unfairly in my opinion, but it would also be them admitting they were wrong and perhaps a little bit hasty, which is a gutsy move.

I always believed Roberto had our best interests at heart, but he was stubborn and didn't learn his lessons. A lot of what he talked about and what he wanted to do was in my opinion the correct approach, but we just didn't have the capacity, neither in the squad nor the funding to do what needed to be done.

His ideas about creating and implementing a strategy of developing youth teams and a genuine sustainable chain from the youngest sides to the 1st team was admirable, but was scrapped almost as soon as it had begun by appointing Koeman. I believe it was Martinez who brought the youngsters together with the 1st team squad at Finch farm, and his ideas for the expansions at finch farm and other technical details I'd read about at the time would only have been good for the club. He embraced the history and reached out to former players and managers to try and create something bigger, but at the time, his ideas where perhaps a bit too ambitious and he ultimately paid the price.

If, and its a big if, he has learned from his mistakes, as all good coaches should, and he had the foresight to appoint a capable defensive coach to work on drills that he perhaps neglected 1st time round, and if he can work harmoniously with Brands in building a squad and developing the culture that runs though the age groups as was his initial plan, then I would have no qualms about it.

He always struck me as an affable, likeable man who's biggest flaw appeared to be a relentless positivity that got under the skin of a largely negative and cynical fan base that has seen too many heartbreaks and let downs and didn't believe he was genuine. I believe he was. I believe he genuinely believed what he said, but just had a positive outlook and tried to see the best in every situation, something that is increasingly difficult to do in this day and age.

There is no denying that at its best, the times under Martinez were far and away the most enjoyable times we've had at Everton for some time. At its worst, it was excruciating, there's no denying it. But I always thought what we needed were tweaks rather than a full 180 that Koeman arrogantly and lazily tried to implement, and we've felt the consequences ever since.

With the correct backing, and the right players, and like I say, a little wisdom gained through experience, and a bit of patience at our end, I genuinely believe we could achieve something long lasting here.

Unfortunately, unless the aforementioned storm happened, I don't think we have the collective patience to let it.
He has no fitness coach, can’t defend and thinks corner and free kick goals don’t count

The problem for me with Martinez is that although he spoke of having a plan, honestly at great length, he never actually took the steps toward realizing it. So while I get that in theory he's someone who you can rely on to do something like that until he goes to a club and actually does it to some success I just can't buy in again. And what he's doing with Belgium couldn't be further from mattering for me. That team for the talent it has honestly will have underachieved if they aren't able to get to a final this summer or next winter.

Nah he's got no clue what he's doing so he needs to trust the DOF to do that and if he doesn't he needs to try finding a new DOF so who he does trust.
He owns the club. He might trust the DOF to manage the football side, but ownership of a football club encompasses more than just football.

His appointment of a DOF is likely because he wants that input at board level (he clearly trusts Brands or he wouldn't be on the board), but as an owner, he will absolutely want, and should be, seeking assurance that the DOF decisions are aligned to his expectations of the club as a whole.

Remember when @StuBarlow posted this and we all thought he was a wum.
Ancelotti was about 50/1 then to be are next manager.
The bookies havent got a clue.
Lets hope we pull another blinder

He has no fitness coach, can’t defend and thinks corner and free kick goals don’t count
If Marcel Brands is a true DOF then surely he would be able to dictate certain aspects.

Imagine him interviewing Martinez and saying, "Look, we are interested, we like a lot of your ideas, but we have reservations. We would need to work together and while you would obviously be coach and have your ideas implemented, we also think it would be sensible to appoint designated fitness and defensive coaches, to ensure the best possible outcomes."

Maerinez says, "Absolutely not."

That is the end of the interview.

For what it's worth, Martinez predated Walsh and Brands, but Brands might admire his work and his ideas. Maybe the opportunity to try again with a slightly different approach might be a good thing, and maybe we are in a better place now to try it.

The idea of James playing in a Martinez side could be very interesting. I would say he is at the very least a slight upgrade on Barkley.

Status
Not open for further replies.