2023/24 Neal Maupay

It’s all very depressing isn’t it ?

If nobody takes him I suppose keeping him and loaning chermiti might make sense . The fella looked lost here but seems to a have scored a few at Brentford, maybe he could fill the doucore role . The squad is paper thin , needs most I suppose .

Is it only for loans that a club continues to cover a portion of a player's wages, or can it also happen with permanent transfers? Take Maupay for example, who has 12 months left on a 50k a week contract that he's never going to get anywhere else.

The clubs that are interested in signing him this summer may be able to offer a transfer fee, but they can only offer a three year contract on a maximum of 25k a week. In such circumstances, would it not be the case that Maupay moves to the new club with Everton agreeing to pay 25k a week for the remaining 12 months of his contract at Everton?

The outcome would be:

• Everton get a transfer fee, and Everton's liability to pay Maupay's 50k a week wages has just been cut in half. The cost of paying 50% of his wages for another year is more than met by the transfer fee.

• Maupay gets a move to a club that can afford 25k a week but not 50k a week, whilst still being paid 50k a week for the next year?

It's reported as 50k per week on Capology.

That's not a lot is it for a Prem player? Musn't be top 10 at us?

Reckon the likes of Danjuma was on more.

He's 27.

Scored more goals than anyone else when he was in the Championship.

Has done well in the Prem, scoring double figure league goals (alright, 10), but 10, 8 and 8 league goals before we Everton'ed him isn't bad

When you consider what we've had to pay for 4th choice academy lad in Portugal, or what we sold Simms for - if we can't get back what we paid, up to £15m - we're a joke. I assume Brighton paid a few quid loan fee as well, so we shouldn't lose money on him.

The issue is if he's wanting a move to France.

That's not a lot is it for a Prem player? Musn't be top 10 at us?

Reckon the likes of Danjuma was on more.

He's 27.

Scored more goals than anyone else when he was in the Championship.

Has done well in the Prem, scoring double figure league goals (alright, 10), but 10, 8 and 8 league goals before we Everton'ed him isn't bad

When you consider what we've had to pay for 4th choice academy lad in Portugal, or what we sold Simms for - if we can't get back what we paid, up to £15m - we're a joke. I assume Brighton paid a few quid loan fee as well, so we shouldn't lose money on him.

The issue is if he's wanting a move to France.
Why do people keep mentioning France?

Hes a Premier League player, he will move to a team in the Premier League IMO, on Loan of course, cos why on Earth would anybody buy him when they know we will 100% loan him.

Why do people keep mentioning France?

Hes a Premier League player, he will move to a team in the Premier League IMO, on Loan of course, cos why on Earth would anybody buy him when they know we will 100% loan him.

I'm hopeful that we will sell Maupay this summer. Both the player and his new club will want more than a loan move imo. Both will be looking to agree a 3 or 4 year contract, I hope.

Also, if it did come down to brinkmanship between Everton and Maupay, I think Maupay would lose. He really doesn't want to spend another year on the bench at Everton, and it is obvious that he desperately wants away! Whereas paying Maupay another year's worth of wages is not that big of a deal for Everton. We've been in similar positions with loads of other players in the very recent past. We faced this situation with Gomes and Ali this time last year, and we are facing it again this year with Keane and Holgate etc etc.

Maupay can't afford to spend the next season out in the cold imo. He needs to secure his next move at a different club.

….he might not want to return but I guarantee he won’t take a lower salary elsewhere.

Ordinary footballers on extraordinary contracts is a recipe for failure.
I didn't think he was on a ridiculous wage (I mean, he's obviously on a ridiculous wage for a normal person, but in football terms). Isn't he on about £50k a week. A lot of places can afford to pay that. I reckon we'll get shut of him towards the end of the window.