2023/24 Nathan Patterson

Young is way past it, Godfrey might be one of the most worst players in the league and Patterson is a write off that hasn't kicked on.

I'm not, and if you search my post history, you'll see I've made all them excuses up for him too. Every single one.

You say experienced professionals couldn't play under Lampard, but you defended Pattersonby saying Lampard would actually play him. Is Lampard an endorsement then? Or a clown who hasn't got a clue?

It has to be a worry that so many managers don't fancy him - to the point that he's been here for a while now, he's 22 and a full international so I'm not ignoring context, I'm cutting to the point.

He's currently our 4th choice full back. We're putting players who aren't full backs like Godrey, and Young ahead of him. Why?

I don't understand 'so managers wouldn't play him'?

He's only had 3.

At Rangers he played 13 games, aged 18/19, when Tavernier was injured.

So your saying because he wasn't picked ahead of the club captain, the manager didn't fancy him?

The club was/is a mess under Lampard. Don't blame any kid aged 19 for not settling in straight away.

The only one who "wouldn't play him' is Dyche who'd rather play a centre back who's been at fault for 3 important goals in consecutive weeks.

How do I know why he won't pick him? Why won't he pick Dobbin?

Last edited:

He's only had 3.

So your saying because he wasn't picked ahead of the club captain, the manager didn't fancy him?

The club was/is a mess under Lampard. Don't blame any kid aged 19 for not settling in straight away.

The only one who "wouldn't play him' is Dyche who'd rather play a centre back who's been at fault for 3 important goals in consecutive weeks.

He looked ok in a pub league, he's so far away from PL quality it's ridiculous

He's only had 3.

How do I know why he won't pick him? Why won't he pick Dobbin?

Well, lets switch it.

How many managers have thought he should be starting in their team?

Just Lampard? The same manager you just discredited.

As for Dyche and your question - he doesn't start Dobbin because he thinks McNeil and Harrison are better.

Applying that same logic - he doesn't start Patterson because after doing so, he thinks Coleman, Godfrey and Ashley Young are better.

That's cause for concern for me - because Dyche can setup a defence - he's even improved Mykolenko but evidently, he's not liking the look of Patterson is he?

Well, lets switch it.

As for Dyche and your question - he doesn't start Dobbin because he thinks McNeil and Harrison are better.

Applying that same logic - he doesn't start Patterson because after doing so, he thinks Coleman, Godfrey and Ashley Young are better.

That's cause for concern for me - because Dyche can setup a defence - he's even improved Mykolenko but evidently, he's not liking the look of Patterson is he?

So when you said 'so many managers wouldn't play him'. So many = 1.

Well, lets switch it.

Danny I can't argue with your logic: it's pretty sound. My real issue is that when Patterson has played, I've never felt he was a terrible player we couldn't rely on.

A stellar player? Nope. Issues? Yes. But, I've felt he was relatively competent, so I do wonder what Dyche does or does not see in him to make the judgement.

It could be based on the view that Dyche has that we have been and are relatively, defensively solid, so from that perspective Young and Godfrey are doing okay.

But as fans, we want something offered on the right that is defensively better and importantly offensive minded too, and neither of those are it.

We want him to be given a try, but I suspect Dyche doesn't feel it's warranted due to the above. I also think how he perceives his attitude is playing a part, too.

Right now, our right hand side is laughably bad going forward, and as long as that continues Dyche will face pressure from the fan base.

Danny I can't argue with your logic: it's pretty sound. My real issue is that when Patterson has played, I've never felt he was a terrible player we couldn't rely on.

A stellar player? Nope. Issues? Yes. But, I've felt he was relatively competent, so I do wonder what Dyche does or does not see in him to make the judgement.

It could be based on the view that Dyche has that we have been and are relatively, defensively solid, so from that perspective Young and Godfrey are doing okay.

But as fans, we want something offered on the right that is defensively better and importantly offensive minded too, and neither of those are it.

We want him to be given a try, but I suspect Dyche doesn't feel it's warranted due to the above. I also think how he perceives his attitude is playing a part, too.

Right now, our right hand side is laughably bad going forward, and as long as that continues Dyche will face pressure from the fan base.

He has had a few chances this season to make the right back position his own and he hasn't took them.

He should have been loaned out to a team in the championship last summer. Let him get a full season of games under his belt.

He has had a few chances this season to make the right back position his own and he hasn't took them.

He should have been loaned out to a team in the championship last summer. Let him get a full season of games under his belt.
When has he been terrible? Worse than Young or Godfrey? Like I said, he hasn't been stellar by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't think he's looked poor.

So when you said 'so many managers wouldn't play him'. So many = 1.

Nice try.

The reality is Gerrard, Benitez, Lampard and Dyche preferred other full backs to him.

The latest, who I'd suggest is the best at spotting whether a player can defend- prefer centre halfs and a 38 year old winger adapted left back to him.

If you don't think that's cause for concern, then fair enough - but he's our 4th choice full back. That's not progression.

His performance vs Fulham on the opening day was one of the worst displays from a full back I've ever witnessed, but I accept your point.

Generally, he's held his own - but like you say here;

... I've never seen him and thought he looks a good player either.

I think Dyche believes he doesn't offer enough going forward to compensate for what he thinks is a defensive liability.

Dyche is % football, which I think we've had to accept. We're relegation fodder, it's small margins - we can't take the risks we'd like. I wouldn't risk Patterson if Coleman was fit and stand by that, because the margins are what they are. Patterson needs an extended run in a settled side and we're chaotic.

It's all about staying in the league and a relegation scrap and a toxic Goodison is tough for any player.

I'd start Patterson now ahead of Godfrey and Young. I saw when he was playing for Scotland against pub sides he could cross a ball/was a presence down that side.

Ideally Coleman can get fit/see us through to the summer.

Definitely this.

In January I was saying he needs a loan but we can't let him go because we're too light. If we were going to play Godfrey/Young ahead of him then we should have loaned him out.

Nice try.

The reality is Gerrard, Benitez, Lampard and Dyche preferred other full backs to him.

The latest, who I'd suggest is the best at spotting whether a player can defend- prefer centre halfs and a 38 year old winger adapted left back to him.

If you don't think that's cause for concern, then fair enough - but he's our 4th choice full back. That's not progression.

His performance vs Fulham on the opening day was one of the worst displays from a full back I've ever witnessed, but I accept your point.

Generally, he's held his own - but like you say here;

... I've never seen him and thought he looks a good player either.

I think Dyche believes he doesn't offer enough going forward to compensate for what he thinks is a defensive liability.

Dyche is % football, which I think we've had to accept. We're relegation fodder, it's small margins - we can't take the risks we'd like. I wouldn't risk Patterson if Coleman was fit and stand by that, because the margins are what they are. Patterson needs an extended run in a settled side and we're chaotic.

It's all about staying in the league and a relegation scrap and a toxic Goodison is tough for any player.

I'd start Patterson now ahead of Godfrey and Young. I saw when he was playing for Scotland against pub sides he could cross a ball/was a presence down that side.

Ideally Coleman can get fit/see us through to the summer.

You could also throw Steve Clark into the mix as he prefers the youngster at Brentford instead of Patterson for Scotland.