2023/24 Nathan Patterson

…..it’s a nonsense and typical of the Dyche stereotype to suggest he won’t play youngsters. Remember the posts about him desperate to play Keane, yet Branthwaite is an established regular.

Youngsters need to earn the right to play and I have no doubt Dyche would be absolutely delighted if Patterson had grasped the chances he’s had. I get nervous with his defending so I can see why he’s failed to earn the position when it’s up for grabs. If we stay up then I’d be very surprised if a new RB isn’t on the shopping list this summer.
It's nonsense but it really isn't - you either have to have a crisis or someone who is so outstanding/talented that you can't possibly justify him not playing.

He's literally playing Ashley Young ahead of any youngster in the team currently, if you want proof of this. Obvious outlier don't change the situation and even if the young players bring you points or goals/dangerous situations - he won't play them because it's how he is. And it's not because of points or anything else, it's how Dyche thinks - absolute 100% defensive safety and experience first.

Before you say "but Mcneil" - he played 2 games over a season and a half of being at Burnley before having to be used more by them.

He's gotten such a great chance too - minutes wise Godfrey, who was considered missing up until 2 weeks ago, now has half as many minutes played as Patterson, who's played 19 if we go by "games played".

It's nonsense but it really isn't - you either have to have a crisis or someone who is so outstanding/talented that you can't possibly justify him not playing.

He's literally playing Ashley Young ahead of any youngster in the team currently, if you want proof of this. Obvious outlier don't change the situation and even if the young players bring you points or goals/dangerous situations - he won't play them because it's how he is. And it's not because of points or anything else, it's how Dyche thinks - absolute 100% defensive safety and experience first.

Before you say "but Mcneil" - he played 2 games over a season and a half of being at Burnley before having to be used more by them.

He's gotten such a great chance too - minutes wise Godfrey, who was considered missing up until 2 weeks ago, now has half as many minutes played as Patterson, who's played 19 if we go by "games played".

….there’s a bottom line here, Patterson hasn’t earned a place in the opinion of Dyche. It’s nothing to do with age, it’s all to do with performance. I was so happy when we signed Patterson but I fully concur with Dyche’s view. Dyche has built a formidable defensive unit, so it’s hard to pick holes in his preferred selections.

….there’s a bottom line here, Patterson hasn’t earned a place in the opinion of Dyche. It’s nothing to do with age, it’s all to do with performance. I was so happy when we signed Patterson but I fully concur with Dyche’s view. Dyche has built a formidable defensive unit, so it’s hard to pick holes in his preferred selections.
I mean it isn't really but you do you.

I think his run of injuries and lack of a consistent first team starts has hampered his progress a lot.
There's clearly potential there, but it looks like Dyche doesn't think we can afford luxury of being able to develop players with game time given the position we are in.
I think a loan to a team where he's guaranteed regular minutes as a starter would do his development a world of good, a-la Branthwaite.

This probably should have happened last season tbh.

I do hope he comes good, there's a player in there.

….not sure I’m reading ‘so many weird people with allegiance to Celtic’. For me, I just wanted him to be good but he’s simply not grasped his opportunities. The fact that Dyche prefers make-do RBs like Godfrey and players coming to the end of their careers like Coleman and Young says everything.

It’s got absolutely nothing to do with his background.

…..it’s a nonsense and typical of the Dyche stereotype to suggest he won’t play youngsters. Remember the posts about him desperate to play Keane, yet Branthwaite is an established regular.

Youngsters need to earn the right to play and I have no doubt Dyche would be absolutely delighted if Patterson had grasped the chances he’s had. I get nervous with his defending so I can see why he’s failed to earn the position when it’s up for grabs. If we stay up then I’d be very surprised if a new RB isn’t on the shopping list this summer.

Heres my issue with your consistent comments which would be extremely valid and something i could get behind...

...but for Patterson having outperformed Coleman and Young. That can be a matter of discussion for the eye test but not the stats.

Im confident a decent number of posters would agree with that statement.

With Godfrey hes likely in the side as hes a great man marker and seems to have gotten his pace/energy back.

A bit of a Wan-Bissaka (who i like) that will stop the oppoaition winger.

The issue i take with Dyche is dropping Patterson when he has a good game.

-- by good i mean better than the other two.

I'd keep both but the older players are not what they were.

I mean it isn't really but you do you.

I actually agree with @Eggs on this.

We have something like the 4th best defence and Pickford has the most clean sheets i think?

How do you argue against that?

Our strength and our best players are in goal, defence and central midfield.

The only issue is whether Patterson could add an attacking level to achieve more balance...but overall i cant argue against Godfrey if the plan is to not concede and sneak a goal.

Very italian in thinking...but i dont care how we play as long as it brings results.

I actually agree with @Eggs on this.

We have something like the 4th best defence and Pickford has the most clean sheets i think?

How do you argue against that?

Our strength and our best players are in goal, defence and central midfield.

The only issue is whether Patterson could add an attacking level to achieve more balance...but overall i cant argue against Godfrey if the plan is to not concede and sneak a goal.

Very italian in thinking...but i dont care how we play as long as it brings results.
We don't attack using full backs so this is a moot point.

"As long as it brings results" is also a moot point, as per our fantastic wins record for over 2 months.

I love the fact that now that it's not Patterson playing right back people are overlooking Godfrey being ran past a few times a game or misjudging the flight of the ball for headers - it's normal for him, apparently, as he's experienced, but Patterson is shouted at for it at every opportunity lol

Hopefully he gets some games at the Euros, we’l be looking to him next season.

Be nice to be safe and give him a run.

He’d have to be mad to stay here for another season. Whilst Dyche is here he won’t get a game so I’d expect him to push to leave.