My Arl Fella was ahead of his time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose i'm half and half. I used to have a season ticket for a number of years but stopped due to work and other reasons. went quite regularly after that if we were playing sundays or could get time off for a night match. after illness I stopped going for a season or two and became a regular armchair fan. still go now and again when I feel up to it and can afford it,(going today as I was offered a cheap ticket thurs night). I enjoy both experiences as they are so different.

I think people who sit towards the back in the stands understand the game better than those in the cheap seats at the front, on account of being able to see the 'bigger picture' as it were and appreciate the tactical minutiae.
I agree to an extent, but again it's an overly simplistic aspect of it; and that's the problem really as it is not a black and white argument.

You may visually 'see' the game better from different positions, which obviously can help to a extent. TV may even give the perfect view.

However it's how you then analyse that information that counts and that all stems from a person's own expectations, experience and intelligence.

I sit next to an absolute buffoon and sometimes I wonder if he watches the same game as everyone as his judgement is warped. It's ridiculous.

Yet, I also have sit next to a group of very rational, experience and articulate fellas who see it in an entirely different light from him.

But then back to TV, it may give you the game from multiple angles, but it doesn't give you the same depth you can get from the match.

You do not see how players act off the ball, their interactions with other players and overall body language; the little things that can mean a lot.

So maybe going the match does give a better perspective to the game in some extents, but you'll still have idiots who can't interpret that correctly.

I think the only thing it can genuinely give is experience (as you regularly 'watch' football) although it's not the golden ticket to being a football God.

my Dad's mate, Porky, tried to avoid the black maria (meaty van) following a particularly gnarly gladwys street seventies scuffle by pretending he was just having a piddle in the jigger

but they knicked him for piddling in the jigger

Can you tell your dads that I'm sorry I live closer to sodding France than I do Goodison, and that I've not had enough cash to afford a wedding and to go to Liverpool every week or so, so I've had to watch just about every game for that last 5 years on a dodgy stream with some language from Tattooine as commentary?

Cheers.

I'm sure you all sit near someone at Goodison whose opinion does your head in. Either they boo Barkley after one miss placed pass after 3 minutes, or want the manager gone after he subs on Naismith (who then scores a hat trick).

As mentioned, going to the game does not make your opinion more valid.
told me Dad, said he's not arsed

My dad was down to earth but when he talked about Cresswell or Dean, it was like listening to poetry. When we won the first title since '39, his reaction was, "Well, it's what we expect". He didn't need to stats to back up his opinion -and I doubt the players did - they had J Morrissey to keep them on their toes!

Like probably many others on here my dad was a staunch blue,he never missed a match.He seemed to feel that it was his duty to bring as many new blues into the fold as possible.
Where we lived we use to get a lot of out of towners moving into the area and he would see it as his duty to take them to Goodison Park. His pet hate was what he called armchair supporters ,people whose only insite into watching football was on match of the day and then becoming experts,he really despised these people.
Of course armchair supporters in the 60s and 70s were nothing compared to there modern day counterparts who can dissect a football match to the minutest detail and even tell how many yards a player has run during the 90 minutes and how many times they have farted whilst taking a corner.

Youre best of out of it Dad you wouldnt like it here
You are right mate
That era of fan were the most knowledgeable as they had no real media to scrutinise every aspect of the game.
I ca remember sitting in the pub after the game discussing the game and everybody with different views, then the Pink Echo would appear and we would get the match report and we would argue about that. The Sky era of fans are just spoon fed all the information....
Football for me is overhyped and scrutinised to the extreme
My Dad never goes to a game now, hates everything that goes with it

I live Birmingham and work most Saturdays (and seem to work any other day we play come to that) I try go to at least 2 home games a season (last being the dismal loss to Man U in October ( I sat next to a season ticket holder and last saw him in his seat at the 25 minute mark (2-0 down) and never to be seen again, an argument to oppose the original comment there in a nut shell) I love Everton and am insulted to hear of me and others in my position being ridiculed due to cost/distance/work.

Status
Not open for further replies.