My Arl Fella was ahead of his time

Status
Not open for further replies.

paultheblue

Player Valuation: £35m
Like probably many others on here my dad was a staunch blue,he never missed a match.He seemed to feel that it was his duty to bring as many new blues into the fold as possible.
Where we lived we use to get a lot of out of towners moving into the area and he would see it as his duty to take them to Goodison Park. His pet hate was what he called armchair supporters ,people whose only insite into watching football was on match of the day and then becoming experts,he really despised these people.
Of course armchair supporters in the 60s and 70s were nothing compared to there modern day counterparts who can dissect a football match to the minutest detail and even tell how many yards a player has run during the 90 minutes and how many times they have farted whilst taking a corner.

Youre best of out of it Dad you wouldnt like it here

My ol' man was a staunch Evertonian in his youth, but for reasons I will not delve into suddenly game up on football almost entirely.

From attending games home and away on an almost weekly basis, he only ever went when we (his sons) insisted he went with us. Such a shame.

Everton are still his team and will ask how we're doing, especially against the Reds, however I doubt he could name but a few Everton players.

With regards to the armchair fans, I find it an almost strange and unnecessary debate as arguably there are different degrees of fans.

I'm a season ticket holder and I also attend many away games: does that make me a better fan than those who do not go the game? I don't know.

Maybe I have more experience and see the game in a 'wider' perspective than purely on TV, but it still boils down to my personal opinions.

There are people who I regularly attend the game with who have such a naive, irrational view of matches; it's actually almost cringe worthy.

Yet there are people who may only watch on TV due to a number of reasons who have a more rational an objective view than regular attendees.

It all boils down to the individual I suppose. Going regularly does give some extra credibility, but it doesn't automatically mean you're an expert.

Can you tell your dads that I'm sorry I live closer to sodding France than I do Goodison, and that I've not had enough cash to afford a wedding and to go to Liverpool every week or so, so I've had to watch just about every game for that last 5 years on a dodgy stream with some language from Tattooine as commentary?

Cheers.

I'm sure you all sit near someone at Goodison whose opinion does your head in. Either they boo Barkley after one miss placed pass after 3 minutes, or want the manager gone after he subs on Naismith (who then scores a hat trick).

As mentioned, going to the game does not make your opinion more valid.

Old armchair fan
old-tv.jpg

modern armchair fans
182jl1ok9801gjpg.jpg

Can you tell your dads that I'm sorry I live closer to sodding France than I do Goodison, and that I've not had enough cash to afford a wedding and to go to Liverpool every week or so, so I've had to watch just about every game for that last 5 years on a dodgy stream with some language from Tattooine as commentary?

Cheers.

I'm sure you all sit near someone at Goodison whose opinion does your head in. Either they boo Barkley after one miss placed pass after 3 minutes, or want the manager gone after he subs on Naismith (who then scores a hat trick).

Read his post again mate.
I might be wrong, but I don't think his dad is around any more and his post is more about remembering his old man than anything else.

Cheers.

Think you might have the wrong end of the stick here Ijjy mate.

Read his post again mate.
I might be wrong, but I don't think his dad is around any more and his post is more about remembering his old man than anything else.

Was my take on it as well. Thought the response was a bit harsh.

Like probably many others on here my dad was a staunch blue,he never missed a match.He seemed to feel that it was his duty to bring as many new blues into the fold as possible.
Where we lived we use to get a lot of out of towners moving into the area and he would see it as his duty to take them to Goodison Park. His pet hate was what he called armchair supporters ,people whose only insite into watching football was on match of the day and then becoming experts,he really despised these people.
Of course armchair supporters in the 60s and 70s were nothing compared to there modern day counterparts who can dissect a football match to the minutest detail and even tell how many yards a player has run during the 90 minutes and how many times they have farted whilst taking a corner.

Youre best of out of it Dad you wouldnt like it here
I don't talk football really with anyone but my dad, even on here I try to avoid it. Tactics bore him and me but he can spot a player and read the game like no one I've met. Fella's who grew up watching football through the 50s 60's and 70's are the real deal in my eyes.

I think people who sit towards the back in the stands understand the game better than those in the cheap seats at the front, on account of being able to see the 'bigger picture' as it were and appreciate the tactical minutiae.

Top balcony towards the back are essentially the most knowledgeable. Front row in the Park End and you may as well be watching it on Twitter.

I love going whenever its possible and affordable, not just for the football perspective.
When you see it fly into the opposition net with your own eyes, are part of the racket that follows, hugging your mates and dodging limbs, MOTD can't give you that.

I've seen the debate rage a few times on here about which gives you the better idea of players and what happened and honestly can't say, but @paultheblue good on your dad for getting new blood to Goodison to enjoy it for themselves!

Status
Not open for further replies.