Mick Lyons:70 today!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iconic player for me.
An absolute hero for me during those days, a true captain, he had more courage, passion and pride than all of our current squad put together.

EA5E3D6E-171F-4CCE-A492-CC4430AA4597.jpeg

Norman Hunter nearly took Mick’s head off as he scored this cracker!

Probs said this before, but age does compromise. ? Mick was a superb supporter of kids football in Croxteth. Obviously had the pick of the talent in the area but he was there every Sunday for many years.
Not only a great servant for Everton Mick was also a gent off the field and would chat away to any football fan.

Remember that 2-2 draw at Anfield when Mick scored a great goal with a lob from about twenty yards out, unfortunately in the wrong goal, anyway the next day he went for a drink in his local and an Evertonian greeted him with a hug and a kiss, he’d won the sweep on Mick scoring the first goal in that game!!!

Wow!!!,suddenly I feel old!!,there may well have been greater players but his commitment to our cause back in the fitful days of the 1970's early 1980's was unparalleled in my humble opinion,Happy Birthday Mick!!

I remember one of the Derby games when Souness was up to his snider tricks I think he was picking on Andy King when big Mick came steaming in and whacked him. Sourness crapped himself and stayed away from Mick after that.

An absolute hero for me during those days, a true captain, he had more courage, passion and pride than all of our current squad put together.

View attachment 147975
Norman Hunter nearly took Mick’s head off as he scored this cracker!
I was right opposite that in the old paddock- that summed big Mick up - a heart like a Lyon.......a true Blue ;)
We won that day .....

I remember him scoring an own goal in the Derby (1979), the game ended Two-Two, and both teams had a player sent off.

Happy Birthday, Mick.
Was probably our MOTM that day too,I think that was when Stanley and McRedmott got their marching orders, we thought we had won it through Brian Kidd near the end but quell surprise...it was disallowedloland most excitingly for myself at the time as an spotty teenager, there was a female streakerlol

I was right opposite that in the old paddock- that summed big Mick up - a heart like a Lyon.......a true Blue ;)
We won that day .....
I was about 12 and with my little brother in the GS stand, it was the most passionate game I’d ever been to up then, the fellas around us were absolutely apoplectic with rage and hatred for Revie’s Leeds… it was such a good atmosphere?

*Edit - I think Revie had just taken the England job

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.