2019/20 Michael Keane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone can have a few acceptable games.

He is an absolutely dreadful prem defender and a huge accident waiting to happen v the better pacier teams.

We will not progress when players of his ability get game time.

He played well last night, but let's just remember that this is a Norwich side that's only scored 1 goal in their last 7 games. He's always been capable of good games, but he's one of those players where what he can't do is every bit as important as what he can. As soon as he comes up against pace and movement he's just lost.

No need to bin him off as many have been saying, he's a decent CB who is still young enough to improve, especially under someone like Ancelotti.

If we get a pacey CB, preferably left sided, then between Keane, Holgate, Mina and hypothetical new guy we have a good mix of options at CB.

Keane - No nonsense, good in the air and suited to games playing deep
Mina - Similar to Keane but better on the ball
Holgate - Very composed and athletic, getting better
New CB - Hopefully more pace so we can play higher up the pitch and left sided given the other 3 are right sided

One half decent game against a reserve Norwich side.
But don't we usually lose to reserve teams. Lucky that Keane did score. Because our forwards would still be huffing and puffing trying to score. Let's be thankful for small mercies. This return to playing football has been mainly awful. So it's three points and move on. Get fit and fighting for next season. Hopefully....

Deserves to maintain his place whilst we keep clean sheets. But a limited player. He has a decent attitude though and seems aware of his need to improve and be consistent. That will likely endear him to Carlo, and he seems to like him anyway.

I don't think he is going anywhere, but like so many others he will struggle to be a regular once the next re-shaping of the squad begins.

I didn’t see his celebration I was too busy jaw dropping at Everton:

Taking the lead away from home
Scoring from a corner
Michael Keane heading it in beautifully

Yeah, i mean i thought the same when i saw we scored from a corner and then something really intruiged me when reading the match review.

We've scored 10 goals from corners this season, the most in the league

No need to bin him off as many have been saying, he's a decent CB who is still young enough to improve, especially under someone like Ancelotti.

If we get a pacey CB, preferably left sided, then between Keane, Holgate, Mina and hypothetical new guy we have a good mix of options at CB.

Keane - No nonsense, good in the air and suited to games playing deep
Mina - Similar to Keane but better on the ball
Holgate - Very composed and athletic, getting better
New CB - Hopefully more pace so we can play higher up the pitch and left sided given the other 3 are right sided
It's not so much about binning him off for me, more managing the squad and the finances. Ideally we need to bring in a quality centre half who's better than all the current ones. None of them are fully rounded, we need somebody who is. At the moment they would have to be paired with Holgate who has been very good recently. That would leave us with 2 £25m+ international centre halves earning £50k+ a week sitting on the bench. With no Europe I'm not sure we can afford that, and i'm not sure Keane or Mina would be happy with it; 38 games isn't a lot for everyone to get proper game time. I think you need 4 centre halves but one of them has to be a fairly clear 4th in the order. We had it last year with Zouma, Mina and Keane as the main 3, then Jagielka as the 4th. He accepts it because he's coming to the end of his contract and career. I think the plan was to do the same this year but elevate Holgate to 4th choice, with him accepting it because he's young and stepping up. 4 people genuinely competing for the 2 spots would be a bit OTT I think. Whether it was Keane or Mina who was moved on wouldn't bother me either way really.

Status
Not open for further replies.