Memories

Status
Not open for further replies.
John Stones at the moment is just pure brilliant potential - he needs a full season or two to rave about him - the last great EFC defenders I seen for the blues were Rats, Labby , and as for a underrated defender who reminds me of John Stones was John Hurst, they could all fetch it out from the back - John Hurst was exceptional of doing this and so underrated, and scored also some very good goals on the deck!
Labone was pure class, but a more orthodox centre half of his era where he lacked pace he read the game so well - his back two partnership with John Hurst was a delight to see they complemented each other so well and I suspect John Hurst learnt so much of the great Labby!

The other thing about both Labby and the Rat is that they were both tough as nails too. Labby less obviously, but the Rat was never gonna back down when the game got physical. If and when Stonesy adds that bit of necessary steel to his obvious silky skills, he could potentially become the the rock upon which our team is built for a good few years to come.

you said it before me, if you can exclude fro your mind, his RSedness and his being a bell on MotD and his glass knees as he grew older, oh and his nailed on handball/pen in the league cup final and maybe some other stuff I can't just think of at the mo... apart from all that he was a class act at CH
Stones can be better
You forgot fouling Sharpie every derby degsy by climbing all over him,although Sharpie was no angel!!:D

I hope the lad doesn't start reading about himself on here. I mean, putting him in the same bracket as Pele? Christ. He's still learning and has a long long way to go yet before he's a top central defender. He needs to keep working hard though, he can't suddenly think he's made it. I remember a young centre half who was touted as the next Beckenbaur - Phil Babb. Enough said.

Status
Not open for further replies.