Transfer Rumour Maximillian James Aarons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mina and Keane is our best combination. Godfrey is getting better but needs to cut out the errors. He was poor on Saturday.

And the idea that we could sell 3 centre halves and sign 2 quality ones for 30m is a bit silly. A good centre half costs 40m+ never mind 2 for 30m total.

Na Godfrey and Mina for me, Mina is excellent in the air and very good on the ball, Godfrey gives us all the recovery pace and pretty decent in the air to.

Na Godfrey and Mina for me, Mina is excellent in the air and very good on the ball, Godfrey gives us all the recovery pace and pretty decent in the air to.
Our defenders are all a bit odd tbh, Keane has actually won the most in the air but is also the worst on the ground in terms of errors, Mina is a big unit but he's not the quickest, Holgate is defo more of a CB than a RB but how good a CB he is that's a different story. He isn't great in the air and he gets dribbled past far too easily, he has a 41% tackle rate against opposing attackers which is just unacceptable for a PL defender imo. Last but not least we have Godfrey who clearly has the electric pace needed for the modern game (pressing etc) but there are aspects of his game such as his positioning which at times look a bit ropey and although young i think his best games have actually been at LB. I can understand why Carlo would want another CB but i would'nt see it as our first signing that for me has to be a RB.

Not even the best right back in the championship, that guy would be Nyambe of Blackburn, will have a year left on his contract in the summer

My Norwich supporting mates opinion on Aarons:

"I've watched probably 90% of his games this season so my thoughts are:
Calm on the ball, good dribbling and really good going forward as you know
His defending isn't too bad, he's good at dealing with 1 on 1s
But he lacks the awareness sometimes and is small so not good in the air
But his end product is getting better and he can finish"

Pace and composure. Sign me up.

We only have one good centre half and his name is Benjamin Godfrey.

Michael Keane should not play again for us. He's a bag of nerves and this rubs off on other players and drags them down to his level. Hope we can recoup about 25% of what we paid for him.

Mason Holgate thinks he's Mr Big and is actually bang average. He's well and truly capable of a moment of madness and doesn't actually excel at anything. We can make a tidy profit on him still. Definitely sell.

Yerry Mina is a clown and has cost us numerous times by refusing to do the obvious thing and instead tried to do something flamboyant which of course then backfired. He misses too many games through injury, too. I think we can get 50% back what we paid for him.

Hopefully we could net about 30m for the three of them, and lash it on two better quality centre backs. Just don't shop from the Premier League ffs or go after teams' rejects (yes I know for every Mina there is a Digne, but we're not very good at signing cast-offs and turning them into stars).

Harsh.

Keane has probably been our best defender since before Silva was fired. He definitely had a shaky start and for the first 12-18 months I was not convinced, but he settled down well and proved his worth. That's not to say he's irreplaceable or that we couldn't find an upgrade. I said recently in another post he is the player I'd look to sell given his age and profile and the fact he is probably our most valuable defender that we could sacrifice. He had a bad game against spurs, but to say he's not been decent for the majority of season and certainly the 2nd half of last at least, is revisionist.

Mina too has been reasonably solid this season and has on occasion out performed Keane. He is not as consistent as Keane, but I think by upgrading Keane you would in turn get more out of Mina, as he seems to be a defender who very much relies on a stable partnership and leadership. While Keane has for the most part been a solid and dependable defender, his lack of speed and occasional off day hasn't always provided the best cover for Mina to flourish. Not saying we would get Koulibaly, but if we were to sign someone of that ilk, I think you would see an extra level from Mina.

Holgate has shown in glimpses what he is capable of and what his ceiling could be. His biggest problem for me, and this goes for the majority of our defence and probably spreads to the rest of the team in general, is that we have rarely if ever had a consistent run of games without considerable changes in both personnel, formation and tactics. Holgate has played several positions, several formations, had several partners, as both a 2, 3 and even the effective 4, and has generally been decent. Last season he showed his ability bringing the ball out of defence and his calmness under pressure. This season, he has been caught out a few times. But he is still young and still learning. There aren't many 24 year old centre backs who are the finished article, and those that are cost a premium. They probably haven't been shunted around the starting 11 and in and out the side either.

Godfrey I agree has been immense, his pace and power are another level, and his aggression is something we've missed for a long, long time. But he has had his moments in the heart of defence as well, and he looked shaky early on playing RB, let's not pretend differently. His best form has still been at LB, and as part of the back 4 unit that served us so well for those months when Digne was missing. The main thing to take from that, is when that was the case, it was a consistent and settled, tried and tested back 4 that played that system, hardly any changing.

The biggest issue has been that lack of consistency since then, and the chopping and changing has led to an imbalance. This has largely been down to a series of injuries and having to make do with what we have, as well as some criminal over exposure from a decimated midfield unit.

Getting rid of everyone because of some inconsistent form in an often bizarre and hectic season is akin to throwing out the baby with the bath water. Can we improve? Yes. Does it need a complete overhaul, selling players at way below their collective market value to do so? No.

Last edited:
Dalot Dalot Dalot Dalot
1620233621570.png

My Norwich supporting mates opinion on Aarons:

"I've watched probably 90% of his games this season so my thoughts are:
Calm on the ball, good dribbling and really good going forward as you know
His defending isn't too bad, he's good at dealing with 1 on 1s
But he lacks the awareness sometimes and is small so not good in the air
But his end product is getting better and he can finish"

Pace and composure. Sign me up.
Young, fast and athletic, which is what we’re in desperate need of right now?

Everton: No thanks

Harsh.

Keane has probably been our best defender since before Silva was fired. He definitely had a shaky start and for the first 12-18 months I was not convinced, but he settled down well and proved his worth. That's not to say he's irreplaceable or that we couldn't find an upgrade. I said recently in another post he is the player I'd look to sell given his age and profile and the fact he is probably our most valuable defender that we could sacrifice. He had a bad game against spurs, but to say he's not been decent for the majority of season and certainly the 2nd half of last at least, is revisionist.

Mina too has been reasonably solid this season and has on occasion out performed Keane. He is not as consistent as Keane, but I think by upgrading Keane you would in turn get more out of Mina, as he seems to be a defender who very much relies on a stable partnership and leadership. While Keane has for the most part been a solid and dependable defender, his lack of speed and occasional off day hasn't always provided the best cover for Mina to flourish. Not saying we would get Koulibaly, but if we were to sign someone of that ilk, I think you would see an extra level from Mina.

Holgate has shown in glimpses what he is capable of and what his ceiling could be. His biggest problem for me, and this goes for the majority of our defence and probably spreads to the rest of the team in general, is that we have rarely if ever had a consistent run of games without considerable changes in both personnel, formation and tactics. Holgate has played several positions, several formations, had several partners, as both a 2, 3 and even the effective 4, and has generally been decent. Last season he showed his ability bringing the ball out of defence and his calmness under pressure. This season, he has been caught out a few times. But he is still young and still learning. There aren't many 24 year old centre backs who are the finished article, and those that are cost a premium. They probably haven't been shunted around the starting 11 and in and out the side either.

Godfrey I agree has been immense, his pace and power are another level, and his aggression is something we've missed for a long, long time. But he has had his moments in the heart of defence as well, and he looked shaky early on playing RB, let's not pretend differently. His best form has still been at LB, and as part of the back 4 unit that served us so well for those months when Digne was missing. The main thing to take from that, is when that was the case, it was a consistent and settled, tried and tested back 4 that played that system, hardly any changing.

The biggest issue has been that lack of consistency since then, and the chopping and changing has led to an imbalance. This has largely been down to a series of injuries and having to make do with what we have, as well as some criminal over exposure from a decimated midfield unit.

Getting rid of everyone because of some inconsistent form in an often bizarre and hectic season is akin to throwing out the baby with the bath water. Can we improve? Yes. Does it need a complete overhaul, selling players at way below their collective market value to do so? No.
CB we have an above average group for the league. That's probably the only position unless Kean comes back that we can say that for. Now if the right deal is there we can't say no to going up a level but we can't sign 10 players this window and it just feels like better value can be found improving other positions.

I predict we’ll be scratching around for a right back on loan on deadline day after signing 2 CBs and an attacking midfielder over the window.
I’d like to think we’re more professional these days with Carlo there. However, I would not hold my breath.

I hope we sign 2 or 3 players of quality, be they well known or shrewd buys. What I dont Want is 5 or 6 players, it very rarely works.

hello i am mr brands and would like to say mr bullens is a slimeball. we will try to sign mr aarons and make all the everton fans happy apart from those who think they do my job in mr ancelotti thread after draws and defeats. thank u have a beautiful day.
Stop wasting money.

Aged well this didn’t it

Its aged pretty well yeah. I said if we weren't after him romano or other reliable journalists would report it and they have.

Personally I still think that its fake info put out by the club to try to get a better price on the lad seeing as we cant buy him for two months anyway there's no point showing our hand but as of right now we know there's no dialogue going on between the two clubs.

Guess that means you can go back to having your little tizzy then.

Status
Not open for further replies.