MATCH THREAD: Stoke City vs Everton - Sat 29th July - KO 3pm BST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully that can be coached out. There must be room for improvement otherwise he wouldn't be anywhere near the starting 11.... Surely?
You'd hope so, however a part of me unfortunately feels it may be out of necessity rather than a fully-bodied belief in his abilities or potential ability.

I'm not going to lambaste the lad because he was one of the liveliest out there when he came on, with some good movement and put the effort in.

He put some of the experienced players to shame, yet he hasn't and didn't look like he was a real finisher. The statistics of him at Derby aren't stellar too.

As you say, I'm hopeful that it can be coached out of him, and he comes good with experience, but Simms (yet older) looked a more complete package.

Now I'm home, there are a few other reflections from today too: Young looks a good, solid acquisition regardless of his age; Branthwaite is still a raw talent...

... but I'm more confident with him there than Keane. Patterson's energy is commendable and he was our best outlet, but he has to improve his crossing.

Iwobi looks like he sulks when forced to play out wide, so hopefully with the right acquisition he can play more central where he thrived. Maupay...meh!

Danjuma will need time to bed in, but I don't think he looks like a number nine. Any news on McNeil? He will be a huge miss if he's out for the first few games.

You'd hope so, however a part of me unfortunately feels it may be out of necessity rather than a fully-bodied belief in his abilities or potential ability.

I'm not going to lambaste the lad because he was one of the liveliest out there when he came on, with some good movement and put the effort in.

He put some of the experienced players to shame, yet he hasn't and didn't look like he was a real finisher. The statistics of him at Derby aren't stellar too.

As you say, I'm hopeful that it can be coached out of him, and he comes good with experience, but Simms (yet older) looked a more complete package.

Now I'm home, there are a few other reflections from today too: Young looks a good, solid acquisition regardless of his age; Branthwaite is still a raw talent...

... but I'm more confident with him there than Keane. Patterson's energy is commendable and he was our best outlet, but he has to improve his crossing.

Iwobi looks like he sulks when forced to play out wide, so hopefully with the right acquisition he can play more central where he thrived. Maupay...meh!

Danjuma will need time to bed in, but I don't think he looks like a number nine. Any news on McNeil? He will be a huge miss if he's out for the first few games.
Yeah, he got in a couple of good positions and Dyche’s switch to 442 late on threw their defence. He nicked in behind the cb nicely for one of the chances he should have done better with.

Didn't think Maupay was terrible, teed up doucoure nicely for a shot he spooned. But I'd rather not have to rely on him.

I agree with all of that. I also hope that in additional to needing a RB, Young's role will be to use his experience to help Dyche coach the young un's and give them a backhand if they start getting too big for their boots instead of just annoying them by telling them that: 'The music that you young lads listen to today is complete rubbish! Back in my day I listened to real music! Let me show you.'

Yeah, he got in a couple of good positions and Dyche’s switch to 442 late on threw their defence. He nicked in behind the cb nicely for one of the chances he should have done better with.

Didn't think Maupay was terrible, teed up doucoure nicely for a shot he spooned. But I'd rather not have to rely on him.
He wasn't terrible. The issue is that I simply can't see him scoring goals or stretching defences enough to allow others to. The way we play, he's toothless.

A few people near me even gave a quiet boo when he came on at half-time, which I thought was outrageous. He ain't good enough, but that's our fault - not his.

If we can get a striker fit with Danjuma, McNeil and someone else (Gnotto) supporting them, allowing Iwobi to go more central, I think we'll get enough goals.

But, we need to make sure it's sorted sooner rather than later because right now our front line is lacklustre, and the setup isn't helping the midfield either.

He wasn't terrible. The issue is that I simply can't see him scoring goals or stretching defences enough to allow others to. The way we play, he's toothless.

A few people near me even gave a quiet boo when he came on at half-time, which I thought was outrageous. He ain't good enough, but that's our fault - not his.

If we can get a striker fit with Danjuma, McNeil and someone else (Gnotto) supporting them, allowing Iwobi to go more central, I think we'll get enough goals.

But, we need to make sure it's sorted sooner rather than later because right now our front line is lacklustre, and the setup isn't helping the midfield either.
Yeah, the squad is patchy. I wasn't too impressed with Patterson today. Felt sorry for Iwobi, he looked bright and clearly wanted a partner to overlap well with.

Was also watching Campbell for Stoke (son of Super Kev). Was so so, decision making looks to let him down.

I was in with my mate who is a Stoke fan. He was encouraged by Stoke. We agreed you couldn't tell who was the Championship team or the Prem team. Which probably says more about us.

I was in with my mate who is a Stoke fan. He was encouraged by Stoke. We agreed you couldn't tell who was the Championship team or the Prem team. Which probably says more about us.
I said the same to my son. Stoke looked fairly decent, and more so when you consider they had some of their reserves and some trialists out at the time.

When I came out of the ground, I had a quick look at the odds for Stoke winning the Championship or promoted, and they're predicted right in the middle.

Then that means we going to be relying on him to be our creative player in the midfield...

Doucoure/Gana/Onana are all holding/defensive midfielders and it does my head in when they're pushed to play a more attacking MF role.

I still think we need another attacking midfielder with finesse this window, but that's probably going to remain a pipe dream.

I'd agree with pretty much all of that except for the silly fouls Onana gives away. And remembering we weren't playing Brighton or Fulham...
Gana is bad for that as well. Just felt Onana had a good game. Moved the ball well, sharply, got stuck in, created a chance or two.

Yeah, the squad is patchy. I wasn't too impressed with Patterson today. Felt sorry for Iwobi, he looked bright and clearly wanted a partner to overlap well with.

Was also watching Campbell for Stoke (son of Super Kev). Was so so, decision making looks to let him down.

While we are crap, and we are crap. I actually felt, more so the second half that we were in comfortable comtrol and looked like a prem team that had crap attacking options.

There was enough in their perofrmance to suggest they’ll have an okay season in fairness to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.