2023/24 Mason Holgate

I dunno. I'm sure when he was offered a new deal he'd played regularly under Ancelloti (26 times and praised the hell out of him), arguably looked like our best CB next to Mina. Got linked to City when the were playing Fernandino at CB. Also won Players Player of the Year 19/20.

View attachment 224409

3 years later things have just fallen off a cliff for him since.

Will agree to differ. I don’t think he has ever established himself as a first choice CB - indeed many of those games under Ancelotti were at RB. And being linked with City and having City buy you are different things altogether.

Just over a year ago:

‘Let's be honest, if a team is struggling, the chances of getting called up for England are slim anyway," says Holgate, when asked if representing his country is still on his mind.

The 25-year-old is fully aware of the situation he finds himself in less than two years after being considered by England manager Gareth Southgate in what was his best season at Everton.

But his mind is elsewhere now. "Since I've come back in the team, we are all fighting for something," he says. "Everton needs to be the focus of everybody in the squad.

"I don't think the time is right now to think about England, I think next season or maybe the season after, when the club gets going, that's when I can start thinking about those things a bit more.

"I'm confident in what we are doing as a club, and I am confident in the team that we've got, and I'm sure that time is going to come. No one is going to rule out playing for England at 25 as a centre-back.’

England/the championship, same thing really.

Will agree to differ. I don’t think he has ever established himself as a first choice CB - indeed many of those games under Ancelotti were at RB. And being linked with City and having City buy you are different things altogether.

Coleman still started 20+ games those 2 seasons, so majority were at CB.

But like I say there was a point when he was 23 and looking like establishing himself before suddenly falling off a cliff.

It's not defending him (clearly done here) but defending the excessive contract at the time. 23, can play RB and CB, lot of potential.

But as with most of our players...once they sign that dotted line they usually put their feet up.

You actually believe that a Championship club are going to pay £72k a week for an average player brought in on loan??

Not beyond the realms that they'd pay 40-50k p/w though.

Not a chance they'd pay that if they were signing him permanently like, but if they're paying him 50k a week, they're basically getting him for a full season, with no obligation to buy, for around 2.2m, all in. No agent fees, no signing on fee, no transfer fee. He's played in that league before for West Brom and if he was on lower wages, I reckon there'd be a fair few championship clubs happy to hand over £5m + for him permanently.