2022/23 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel Holgate is another of our players who reflects what the club have become, he seems a nice enough person, he tries when he plays and on his day can be good but overall he just lacks the quality to play at Premier level. The problem with letting him go is do you trust our decision makers to get in someone better. Surely Dyche cannot have seen enough of Braithwaite to make a judgement on him in the short time he has been back. While we certainly needed a clear out in terms of the squad we also need to remember the purpose of creating space in that squad is to bring in better players to help us avoid relegation next season. At this point Moshiri and Kenwright have managed our expectations to the point that we go into a new season were the hope isn’t to win something or finish in a European place but to avoid relegation. They really have destroyed a once great club.

Where does this ego thing come from?

Is it because he chews or something?

He has never once complained about not being in the team or anything and its blatantly obvious that he has been short on confidence (and maybe ability) in his recent performances. It probably hasn't helped that whatever sporadic appearances he has made this season have came after sitting on the bench for months before being thrown into the side out of position.

It's certainly time for him to move on but the ego thing annoys me.
The GOT legion of certified Body Language Experts. Who despite being able to identify complex thoughts and patterns through only the most basic of movements are exclusively based from Box Rooms.

The GOT legion of certified Body Language Experts. Who despite being able to identify complex thoughts and patterns through only the most basic of movements are exclusively based from Box Rooms.

….you can observe attitude and application in footballers by watching how they play. It is better observing live but I imagine you can form an opinion sitting in a box room watching on TV. You don’t need to be a body language expert to determine those who play like the game matters.

….you can observe attitude and application in footballers by watching how they play. It is better observing live but I imagine you can form an opinion sitting in a box room watching on TV. You don’t need to be a body language expert to determine those who play like the game matters.

I dunno i once saw The Duke sit on a ball! lol

Yeah, agree with this. Constant manger and position changes haven't helped a player who can be good and make mistakes in the same game!

Hope he gets to hold down a position and prove himself.

Work rate not usually an issue here, just knowing his position (owing to the issues above). He never hid when interviewed, spoke honestly and confidently of team challenges and performances when they needed to improve. Media training and wanting to be honest with fans doesn't mean he has an ego.

Feel disappointed, and good luck Mason. You leaving is just another example of how seasons of financial and coaching mis-management has stunted careers and talent.
He’s 26 started about 20 league games or more the season before last, he crap and I agree maybe not so much an ego but definitely walks with a swagger like he’s a baller and that he is not another one I will be glad to see the back of who’s been here too long.

It's a very low bar but not as bad as Keane or Godfrey (when he plays FB).

Time for him to move on but club leaving themselves very short at CB with the other summer departures compared to 12 months ago when at least the numbers were decent.

Thought he had tremendous potential at one point and a bit of snide about him.

He has not progressed, but that’s not necessarily all down to him and more likely due to the circus the club has become over the last 5 seasons.

His best spell for a while was at right back when Ancelotti played 4 centre backs across the back and we beat Chelsea Arsenal at home in the December and hardly conceded in the whole month if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

I feel Holgate is another of our players who reflects what the club have become,
Strikes me as one of several over the last few years who have simply been too comfortable at Everton.
Rotation of managers and DOF’s can provide a perfect cover for players who need to be consistently challenged to deliver what they’re capable of, otherwise their standards drop.
Some have a natural drive, some do not. I fear he falls into the does not camp.

To be fair I think that backs Eggs’ point
Doucoure knew he wasn’t getting a kick under Lampard and was clearly disgruntled and didn’t give a damn at that time

Dyche put him back in the team and the difference was clear!

It does beg the question though about cause, impact and changeability mate. Using Dourcoure as a canary in the mine, you can go from zero to hero in a short space of time, so how much does it actually tell us and is it more of a moving target then a concrete outcome.

As a manager i would rather have a player banging on my door,asking why he is not getting picked.Than seeing him having a good time doing keepyupes whith his mate's in training.

Status
Not open for further replies.