2021/22 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel Mason Holgate is a decent defender/player, it's just that recently he's been swanning around like billy boots for some reason. Needs to act more professional and concentrate on his game.
Same but starting to turn and think it would be best to sell him. Got it spot on would rather see him keep it simple talks a good game but just hasnt backed it up

Former Premier League goalkeeper Paul Robinson has stated Everton must improve at the heart of their defence following a dire display by one player in their Carabao Cup defeat on Tuesday night.

The Toffees suffered defeat to Championship side Queens Park Rangers in the week, and this has highlighted a major defensive problem according to Robinson.

The game saw centre-half Mason Holgate give the ball away 17 times in total, and Robinson seemingly has no faith in the 24-year-old’s abilities.

“Mason Holgate has been indifferent since the season before last,” he told Football Insider.

As such, the pundit reckons the Merseysiders requires a change in the position if they’e to challenge for Europe.

Really thought two seasons ago he was having a DCL coming of age season and would go from strength to strength, becoming an important player in our team - albeit there were still areas of his game needing improvement.

Dropped off so much last season and start of this season, if anything, looks worse.

Hard to explain quite what’s happened to him and why his trajectory is going in reverse.

I think he should start at RB tomorrow. Godfrey is clearly not match sharp and Kenny well out his depth. Going forward we will be limited but should at least be solid at the back.

Former Premier League goalkeeper Paul Robinson has stated Everton must improve at the heart of their defence following a dire display by one player in their Carabao Cup defeat on Tuesday night.

The Toffees suffered defeat to Championship side Queens Park Rangers in the week, and this has highlighted a major defensive problem according to Robinson.

The game saw centre-half Mason Holgate give the ball away 17 times in total, and Robinson seemingly has no faith in the 24-year-old’s abilities.

“Mason Holgate has been indifferent since the season before last,” he told Football Insider.

As such, the pundit reckons the Merseysiders requires a change in the position if they’e to challenge for Europe.

That is dreadful, and Robinson is not the only one who has no faith in him.

I know I'm going to get ripped apart get but I'm going to say it anyways. I want him to be restored to the first as a CB alongside Mina. When he earned his big contract 2 years ago it was because he was first choice and in a settled position. It was a case of Holgate and one other mainly Mina. He then got injured in the restart and never played and then again in the pre season. When he finally did get fit there was a clamour to get him in the team as Mina and Keane were struggling together. He came back in the United game and he was poor as he was nowhere near match fit. Then we lost both our full backs and so we had to play all our CBs across the back 4. This worked very well as a defensive tool but made us awful to watch as neither Holgate or Godfrey provided an attacking threat. When the full backs became available again it became a case of musical chairs between 4 and 5 at the back. I know players should be able to adapt but positioning is a large part of a CBs skill. So if you go from playing RB to LCB in a 4 to RCB and LCB in a 5 you are bound to suffer. He also played DCM on one occasion. He then made the mistake of chewing gum in such an obvious manner that people thought he was getting cocky. He already suffered for being friends with Davies and DCL. He made mistakes last season I don't disagree but you don't go from being touted as Man Cities next target (this was OTT) to being worse than Titus Bramble. My main quibble with him playing CB is his lack of physicality but Mina more than makes up for that. Whenever he's had a settled run he's done well he actually struck up a reasonable partnership with Ashley Williams in a defence that had Kenny RB and Martina LB. He only came out the team because of everything that went on with Firminho. I think he's 4th choice at the moment but that is probably the size thing.

I know I'm going to get ripped apart get but I'm going to say it anyways. I want him to be restored to the first as a CB alongside Mina. When he earned his big contract 2 years ago it was because he was first choice and in a settled position. It was a case of Holgate and one other mainly Mina. He then got injured in the restart and never played and then again in the pre season. When he finally did get fit there was a clamour to get him in the team as Mina and Keane were struggling together. He came back in the United game and he was poor as he was nowhere near match fit. Then we lost both our full backs and so we had to play all our CBs across the back 4. This worked very well as a defensive tool but made us awful to watch as neither Holgate or Godfrey provided an attacking threat. When the full backs became available again it became a case of musical chairs between 4 and 5 at the back. I know players should be able to adapt but positioning is a large part of a CBs skill. So if you go from playing RB to LCB in a 4 to RCB and LCB in a 5 you are bound to suffer. He also played DCM on one occasion. He then made the mistake of chewing gum in such an obvious manner that people thought he was getting cocky. He already suffered for being friends with Davies and DCL. He made mistakes last season I don't disagree but you don't go from being touted as Man Cities next target (this was OTT) to being worse than Titus Bramble. My main quibble with him playing CB is his lack of physicality but Mina more than makes up for that. Whenever he's had a settled run he's done well he actually struck up a reasonable partnership with Ashley Williams in a defence that had Kenny RB and Martina LB. He only came out the team because of everything that went on with Firminho. I think he's 4th choice at the moment but that is probably the size thing.

I'd like to agree, but given that both Keane and Godfrey have made a catalogue of errors, and yet still get picked ahead of him is telling.

Whether this is a preference of the Manager, or simply put, he's not showing why he should be picked, I don't really know. But he's not really pushed on as we would have hoped. I think his time is slowly starting to run out, sadly, but if he did leave, I can't say we haven't given him chances.

As for the gum, you're absolutely right. Chewing Gum does not make you cocky, why some of our fans have this opinion, I'm not entirely sure.

I'd like to agree, but given that both Keane and Godfrey have made a catalogue of errors, and yet still get picked ahead of him is telling.

Whether this is a preference of the Manager, or simply put, he's not showing why he should be picked, I don't really know. But he's not really pushed on as we would have hoped. I think his time is slowly starting to run out, sadly, but if he did leave, I can't say we haven't given him chances.

As for the gum, you're absolutely right. Chewing Gum does not make you cocky, why some of our fans have this opinion, I'm not entirely sure.

I wonder if he has lost confidence. Players read about themselves so if he's at the point where all he reads is negative its bound to affect him. My point about him lacking physicality is also another reason he might not be getting picked. Benitez probably wants 2 dominating CBs and that is one thing Holgate will never be. I've always said his best position is RCB in a 3 because that position requires more mobility but you can't change your system to suit one player and 3 in the back always goes wrong for us anyways. He has possibly suffered from being to versatile.

I wonder if he has lost confidence. Players read about themselves so if he's at the point where all he reads is negative its bound to affect him. My point about him lacking physicality is also another reason he might not be getting picked. Benitez probably wants 2 dominating CBs and that is one thing Holgate will never be. I've always said his best position is RCB in a 3 because that position requires more mobility but you can't change your system to suit one player and 3 in the back always goes wrong for us anyways. He has possibly suffered from being to versatile.

My honest opinion of Holgate is that he needs a sustained run of games, next to a decent centre half (basically not Michael Keane), as he like Keane, has lapses in concentration, and needs games to build up some rapport and understanding (which when I type it, sounds ridiculous, they train together 5 times a week), but he looks lost in occasions. For me, he needs to show something different to what Keane offers, and he'll have a chance, so I guess my point ties in with your point. He plays well in areas, but his overall game is lacking.

He may get a chance in the coming weeks, with the way our injuries are, we may have to play 5 at the back, just to field a Starting XI.

My honest opinion of Holgate is that he needs a sustained run of games, next to a decent centre half (basically not Michael Keane), as he like Keane, has lapses in concentration, and needs games to build up some rapport and understanding (which when I type it, sounds ridiculous, they train together 5 times a week), but he looks lost in occasions. For me, he needs to show something different to what Keane offers, and he'll have a chance, so I guess my point ties in with your point. He plays well in areas, but his overall game is lacking.

He may get a chance in the coming weeks, with the way our injuries are, we may have to play 5 at the back, just to field a Starting XI.

….I think he’s been truly found out when he’s had a run of games. Indeed, I think he’s been most effective coming in as cover every now and then.

….I think he’s been truly found out when he’s had a run of games. Indeed, I think he’s been most effective coming in as cover every now and then.

I just think he struggles for any real chemistry. Him and Keane are similar, but when he goes up along side Mina is much more reassured, much like most of our defenders. His run with Keane last season, was a disaster, but that's because they both have similar flaws, and every side knew it.

I just think he struggles for any real chemistry. Him and Keane are similar, but when he goes up along side Mina is much more reassured, much like most of our defenders. His run with Keane last season, was a disaster, but that's because they both have similar flaws, and every side knew it.

….lacks concentration & consistency. He seems fired up for his chance when he comes into the team but can’t maintain that level & the flaws inevitably come out. I’d put him way down our pecking order & would even be more hopeful of Reece Walsh leapfrogging him.

He has huge problems dealing with aerial balls into our box. A bit similar to Godfrey's issues at the minute really.

….lacks concentration & consistency. He seems fired up for his chance when he comes into the team but can’t maintain that level & the flaws inevitably come out. I’d put him way down our pecking order & would even be more hopeful of Reece Walsh leapfrogging him.

All for someone leapfrogging him.

We've been dogged for years by inconsistency, and Holgate has had several opportunities to claim a place, and hasn't taken it. Don't follow the youth teams anywhere near the level I should, but hopefully you're on the money with Reece Walsh.

I think partnerships plays a big part of it. Yobo and Lescott were both excellent alongside Jagielka but awful alongside each other. Distin worked well with both Jagielka and Heitinga but they were awful together. I think the only one of our current CBs that fits well with him is Mina. Although Branthwaite looks like he might have the right build.

Status
Not open for further replies.