2021/22 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
….I give up on Holgate being selected. It makes me doubt my judgement, I’ve never rated him even when he’s played well.
He scares me in a 2. I recall Van Gaal explaining the reason he played 3 at the back with the Dutch at the world Cup prior to him becoming Man U manager. It was because he didn't trust the centre backs enough, so wanted the extra man cover. And I always think of this when I think of Holgate.

He scares me in a 2. I recall Van Gaal explaining the reason he played 3 at the back with the Dutch at the world Cup prior to him becoming Man U manager. It was because he didn't trust the centre backs enough, so wanted the extra man cover. And I always think of this when I think of Holgate.

….he scares me just playing. I’ve always said playing 3 at the back means you haven’t got 2 good enough.

He needs to move elsewhere, for his own development and for our sanity.

He needs to move elsewhere, for his own development and for our sanity.
Yeah, there was a time I hoped he'd come good. Maybe even at right back. I was at a game vs. West Brom in Koeman's first season and he started at cb and moved to full back to cover the injured James McCarthy (who Koeman bizarrely played at right wingback). He looked really good.

Shame, but okay, thats football!

SkY sports have even bought Keane on in the act now (last paragraph)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220402-221025_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220402-221025_Chrome.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 127
  • Haha
Reactions: JLW
He's been piss poor, no doubting about it.

But I'm not going to slag him off over an article where he's literally trying to do a bit of a rallying call, basically saying they aren't all shithouses.

I don't think it's a bad thing tbh.

Iwobi has done the same, Holgate has name checked DCL saying its given everyone a lift.

I think they're all far too quiet on the pitch and I think it's right they shouldn't be hiding behind a very timid captain (because he's so out of form himself on the pitch he's not showing any leadership qualities) and should be vocal about the situation.

Actions speak louder than words ALWAYS but let's see how his words pan out first.

….he scares me just playing. I’ve always said playing 3 at the back means you haven’t got 2 good enough.

Shouldnt that be:

"playing 5 at the back means you haven’t got 4 good enough"

I think if we played 3 at the back with actual advanced wingbacks then that could be more attack minded than a back four.

Problem with the player selections is our back 3 is actually a back 5.

He's been poor, but I'd say Keane has been worse and directly cost us more points this season.
Don't wanna see Keane or Holgate here next season

Unfortunately if the players come out and say “we’re garbage and we’re not good enough for this league” and they genuinely feel that (irrespective of if it’s true) then there’s only one way we’re going. We need to realise that their rallying calls and seemingly overly-positive statements in interviews are just part of the process of trying to make themselves more confident - enough to scrape to safety.
Pointless keep whipping their sorry asses every time one of them tries to utter something positive.

Unfortunately if the players come out and say “we’re garbage and we’re not good enough for this league” and they genuinely feel that (irrespective of if it’s true) then there’s only one way we’re going. We need to realise that their rallying calls and seemingly overly-positive statements in interviews are just part of the process of trying to make themselves more confident - enough to scrape to safety.
Pointless keep whipping their sorry asses every time one of them tries to utter something positive.
But they don't need to say...anything. They need to do...something.

Status
Not open for further replies.