2021/22 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really disappointing performance. A chance to go "ok I deserve my chance and I'm going to make sure you don't drop me"

Didn't lay a glove on the potential to keep his place.
Talks the talk at the start of the season “wasn’t good enough last year, just need chances to show what I can do…” has looked, if possible, even less like a premier league centre half this season when he’s played. A year and a half of going backwards and now 25.

Talks the talk at the start of the season “wasn’t good enough last year, just need chances to show what I can do…” has looked, if possible, even less like a premier league centre half this season when he’s played. A year and a half of going backwards and now 25.
He's missed the boat as a mid-table Premier League player. I suppose he could possibly make it as a relegation struggler - he's currently at the right club to test that hypothesis - but in reality he'll not light up the Championship. He blew it.

You say that, flip side is Keane is playing next to two players who have no positional sense, go wandering, switch off and lose runners and can’t head the ball. Add to that a midfield that is wide open and constantly lets other team break through midfield running directly at the back line. Must be a nightmare. It’s hardly the conditions to be nursing through a young centre back partner - constant fire fighting.

The fallacy that it will just take Mina next to one of these two and all will be well is misplaced. Our defence is being exposed by the midfield, as it has for years. We can get better than Keane but whoever you play them next to, if the chaos in front of them continues, it will be a baptism of fire for whichever young/inexperienced centre backs we play.

This is when you need a confident, competent and experienced communicator. All of those things can be improved with a shellacking here and a shout there.

Agree that it's all connected, defensive weaknesses aren't cured by dropping a new guy in - in the first half on Monday midfield was overrun, so our back four were exposed to too many runners - not sure many CBs would have shone with a one man midfield in front of them.

But I do think one can underestimate the influence of personnel - especially at centre half. Only have to look at Dias and whathisface at RS to see how they improve those around them. Both commanding CBs and good communicators

This is when you need a confident, competent and experienced communicator. All of those things can be improved with a shellacking here and a shout there.

Agree that it's all connected, defensive weaknesses aren't cured by dropping a new guy in - in the first half on Monday midfield was overrun, so our back four were exposed to too many runners - not sure many CBs would have shone with a one man midfield in front of them.

But I do think one can underestimate the influence of personnel - especially at centre half. Only have to look at Dias and whathisface at RS to see how they improve those around them. Both commanding CBs and good communicators
That’s fair and don’t disagree. I just don’t agree with letting the likes of Holgate and Godfrey off the hook by saying they’re playing next to Michael Keane and it must be a nightmare for them.

I wouldn’t like to be the senior centre back in this team with either of those two next to me, Coleman on my right and an absent midfield in front of me. Constantly fighting fires, it’s hardly ideal to be talking young players through where they need to be. Chaos reigns all around.

That’s fair and don’t disagree. I just don’t agree with letting the likes of Holgate and Godfrey off the hook by saying they’re playing next to Michael Keane and it must be a nightmare for them.

I wouldn’t like to be the senior centre back in this team with either of those two next to me, Coleman on my right and an absent midfield in front of me. Constantly fighting fires, it’s hardly ideal to be talking young players through where they need to be. Chaos reigns all around.
This about summarises it for me ?

After shipping five at home last out, I'm surprised that we didn't look better organised against Wolves - that's what's concerning me most at the moment - especially with the lengthening list of absentees You'd have thought it would be two banks, contract the spaces, play on the break. Was amazed how easy they were getting in behind our back line, and getting in between them and the midfield.

Shocking tactics imho, probably not helping

I think the writing is on the wall for Holgate and Davies. Benitez has chosen to play Godfrey and Gbamin ahead of them and that says it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.