2020/21 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes people are off form.

Are you 100% everyday?

...I’m not jumping on the bandwagon, I’m not a Holgate fan when he’s in-form. As I continually say, I think he’s a useful squad player, ideal for the bench.

For some reason folk think he‘s fast but he’s out of the game when the opposition go past him, no powers of recovery and a penalty waiting to happen.

...that’s a fair point, 7 of those against United & Spurs in games we didn’t lose. I won’t make excuses for Godfrey but I’m convinced he’s the answer at CB.

Regardless or winning or losing...it's concerning to concede that many and he's been in his preferred position.

Personally think Holgate is more accomplished at CB in our line up and has a good partnership with Mina.

You also can't expect Godfrey and Holgate to become Rio and Vidic overnight.

As for last night... personally didn't think either of them played bad at CB having to deal with wave after wave of attacks due to a completely none existent midfield. They, and the back 4 had zero cover. Even Digne barely crossed the half way line it was that bad.

Sometimes people are off form.

Are you 100% everyday?
I tend to remember that Holgate was often proclaimed as our best centre back of last season by lots on here and elsewhere, but that seems to be forgotten.

Holgate was very poor yesterday and it's something that's been growing, yet as you say it may be form whereas people seem to be implying it's permanent.

Mina and Keane, who are both seasoned professionals, have both improved; the chopping and changing of the back four may not helping the likes of Holgate.

For me, he shouldn't be starting at the moment unless it's at right back and perhaps time on the training ground will do him the world of good.

I tend to remember that Holgate was often proclaimed as our best centre back of last season by lots on here and elsewhere, but that seems to be forgotten.

Holgate was very poor yesterday and it's something that's been growing, yet as you say it may be form whereas people seem to be implying it's permanent.

Mina and Keane, who are both seasoned professionals, have both improved; the chopping and changing of the back four may not helping the likes of Holgate.

For me, he shouldn't be starting at the moment unless it's at right back and perhaps time on the training ground will do him the world of good.
Don’t think his passing and heading ability as cb is good enough to be a top 7 starting cb.

Don’t think his passing and heading ability as cb is good enough to be a top 7 starting cb.
You're right, it might not be. I think Mina and Keane is an important point as their own performances will only highlight Holgate's own weaknesses.

On the flip side, Holgate's own poor performances will be intensifying the pressure on his deficiencies, so I think it's important to not forget this strengths.

Personally, I'm not sure if Holgate is a long-term prospect for centre back if we really want to compete, but I do feel he's currently a decent asset to have.

Mina and Keane have been our best CB pairing this season by far. Godfrey has been excellent as cover for anywhere in the back 4. Holgate is imo well behind these 3 in the pecking order and, along with Coleman unfortunately, shouldn't be starters.
We need a new RB in the summer as a priority.

You're right, it might not be. I think Mina and Keane is an important point as their own performances will only highlight Holgate's own weaknesses.

On the flip side, Holgate's own poor performances will be intensifying the pressure on his deficiencies, so I think it's important to not forget this strengths.

Personally, I'm not sure if Holgate is a long-term prospect for centre back if we really want to compete, but I do feel he's currently a decent asset to have.
Mate I think playing Holgate and Godfrey as full-back at this moment help out the lack of pace and mobility of Mina and Keane. But both Mina and Keane have shown they must be the starters because of their aerial threats and defending high balls.

If we are to sell one cb from the current four in order to sign a cb Carlo wants the player must be Holgate.

...that’s a fair point, 7 of those against United & Spurs in games we didn’t lose. I won’t make excuses for Godfrey but I’m convinced he’s the answer at CB.

I really like Godfrey, and you can see his ceiling is higher, but at this stage I'm not convined he is our best 2 CB's (who to me are Mina/Keane). I'd aso say the lad has been excellent at fullback. I really would keep that until the end of the season. Hopefully we sort a right back out, and another CM (if Gbamin isn't back) and we can have a discussion about him moving to centre back.

I think he does some good things at CB, but at present Mina/Keane have a better understanding, and needs must this season.

He's just an extremely average, error-prone centre half. He gets bullied by any reasonably physical forward and his passing is nowhere near what it should be. He was casual and complacent the whole game last night and I don't understand it.

The Stones comparisons are surely a wind up
He came into the starting lineup last year while we had a bad period, and showed some fighting spirit and had some ok passes. It made him look like a mix of Cannavaro and Pirlo, but it was a visual illusion because the reference points were so bad at the time. It happens all the time when football teams are struggling. A player who shows a little fighting spirit, wins a couple of duels, and passes a couple of good passes, is usually overestimated.

Don’t know what’s up with the lad. Get him back out at right back and Godfrey ay left back that’s when our defence actually looked quite solid.

He's just an extremely average, error-prone centre half. He gets bullied by any reasonably physical forward and his passing is nowhere near what it should be. He was casual and complacent the whole game last night and I don't understand it.

Sounds like your describing Mick Kegger for the last 3 seasons

The Stones comparisons came from last season, when Holgate had that real purple patch and the rags where linking him to City, due to Stones own woeful form.

Unfortunately, Holgate seems to be one of those players, who only seems to find consistency, when he has a decent run in the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.