Martinez Out: Post Stoke poll

Yes or no?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
He had such a good first season he thought he had made it, got complacent and took it for granted that it would just continue this season.

Bad bad mistake.

In particular he took for granted the resilience and team spirit which had been built up in this squad over many years, instead if working on it during the close season. That is why the players have lost belief in him IMO. Suddenly they were defending like rabbits in headlights.

But the worse bit is that they still are, 3/4s of the way into the season. Which leads to the conclusion that if things won't be changed now they won't be in the future.

That is why he is a dead man walking.

Nicest man in football though.

So 72 points is good now?

I'm not following this now. Is it good or is it something you think is worth ridiculing as a poor effort? Just so we know when the next lamb to the slaughter comes in and we have something to measure him by.
For Christ's sake, Dave, can't you see what's right in front of you? Martinez takes over, changes our playing style, everyone is surprised by it and we have a great season. Then we get worked out and there is no plan B other than to make substitutions. It's exactly the same management style that got Wigan relegated and will get us relegated too, eventually.

Perhaps the most telling factor is how, after keeping three clean sheets, Joel is dropped back to the bench so that Tim 'Butterfingers' Howard can return and carry on his own shoddy work. Is it any wonder there are mistakes in defence now he's back? Do you think the back four were happy to see him back after Joel had gained their confidence?

To paraphrase the builder in Fawlty Towers:
'But that's a supporting wall! Let's get a Laudrup under it before the whole bloody lot comes down. I don't know, bloody Catalan cowboy builders.'

Last edited:
It wasn't just them though. They were on the wind up, but 99% of pundits called it right: "Everton are direct".

It was what it was...direct up and under footy allied to a Pienaar/Baines attack on the ground.

Utterly predictable and turgid most of the time.
To be fair, I think Moyes's squad played some really great football in his last season with us. But last season's football was on occasion absolutely sublime. It wasn't just the points haul; it was the nature of the goals. Sometimes we were drab, but often we were simply devastating: so fast and so many great goals from open play. Don't know where that has all gone (and the tired refrain of "we've been found out" doesn't pass muster as an analysis in my book), but I would really like to believe that Martinez and this team can rediscover this form. Unlike LFC's poor run of form which was to do with a radically different squad and the loss of Suarez; Martinez is playing with basically the same squad. Makes the whole collapse of our fortunes all the more mystifying.

barry was a decent player last season, we have since signed besic.why are there 30,000+ fan's seeing besic is a better player, but this fool with tunneled vision not see this. miralles on the left, lennon on the right, let's stop playing garbage tippy tappy football.

...(and the tired refrain of "we've been found out" doesn't pass muster as an analysis in my book)...

It's tired because it's been trotted out so often, and it's trotted out so often (and not just here, enough respected pundits have said it too) because it's true. Time you took your book back to the library, it's so out of date you must have a hell of a fine to pay.

Yes, we really did...something that ginger nobhead never got near in 11 years.

PMSL at you: do you really think saying 'did we get 72 points last season' really diminishes the accomplishment?

It'll never be surpassed by an Everton run by Kenwright, that's for sure.
Post of the year!!!!!!!!

People say 'the clock is ticking'. It's not really though is it?

What's it ticking out on? Everton being in the drop zone with all we have going for us in terms of home fixtures, points in the bag, and the kind of utter tosh stuck in the relegation posts?

If Kenwright wanted rid of Martinez he'd do it. I've seen no indication of it.

Lot of dramatics and hysteria here.
This all day. We've got a decent run of fixtures through March & April where we'll clock up more than enough to ease off the heat. The transformation under Roberto will take a long time but for me, he's def the right man for the job. It's been great but the Europa has ruined us (now I get why others field teams full of squad players in their Europa games) and now confidence is shot so we're playing badly. Its all a bit of a vicious circle but replacing him isn't the realistic answer for me.

Stick with him. Hate the 'manager out' mentality. Especially when a lot of it falls on the players. That [Poor language removed] is for the RS supporters on Twitter imo.

Stick with him. Hate the 'manager out' mentality. Especially when a lot of it falls on the players. That [Poor language removed] is for the RS supporters on Twitter imo.
Wigan stuck with him and look where they ended up.

As for a lot of it falling on the players, are you saying it was the players who made last season happen, not the manager? If not then why is it the fault of the players this season and not the manager?

The clue is in the name 'manager'. If you look carefully you might spot it.

Last edited:
This all day. We've got a decent run of fixtures through March & April where we'll clock up more than enough to ease off the heat. The transformation under Roberto will take a long time but for me, he's def the right man for the job. It's been great but the Europa has ruined us (now I get why others field teams full of squad players in their Europa games) and now confidence is shot so we're playing badly. Its all a bit of a vicious circle but replacing him isn't the realistic answer for me.
They don't come much easier than the bottom club at home. You're deluding yourself if you think we have a 'decent' run of fixtures when that run includes teams around us and three of the teams chasing a CL place.

Last edited:
They don't come much easier than the bottom club at home. You're deluding yourself if you think we have a 'decent' run of fixtures when that run includes teams around us and three of the teams chasing a CL place.
I don't think he'll be sacked, so we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.